Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cars...  (Read 7513 times)

Nordsee

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Cars...
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2015, 05:43:06 pm »

Also many VW models are built in China, Mercedes in the Czech Republic, and if you lot leave the EU, the Mini will be built in Rumania.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2015, 11:39:56 pm »

My wife's got an 05 plate diesel C3.

Sounds like a French tractor, first thing, but it's in the laughably cheap tax bracket and turns in 50+ mpg.

Build quality is a bit tin canny, but it's a giggle on the bends. The brakes are PHENOMENAL - you think about stopping, and a millisecond later you're still, with people behind you having palpitations. Bodywork? Starting to spot with rust in high-traffic areas: door cill, rear arch, but not too awful yet.

Would I have one?

No. The diesel is an absolute pain to work on unless you have tiny hands and long arms. And the deep boot would be a pain for big, heavy boats. I'll be sticking with my Note with fold-down split seats and no lip to the hatch.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2015, 08:11:32 am »

I don't do big heavy boats any longer, my X craft and Neptune will fit in the boot easily, and the Akula goes in an angle quite easily.

What surprised me was just how nippy it is for a 1.2litre three cylinder engine with an automatic transmission...it's not in the same class as my old Scorpio was, but it should be a lot less of an alcoholic. The steering is nice and light, ideal for my arthritic wrists, and with the dead man's handle on the wheel, parking should be totally effortless.

Working on the car isn't going to be a problem for me...I don't touch it.  Servicing, maintenence, insurance, road tax, one set of tyres in the three years, breakdown and recovery, is all in the Motability package. For less than £250 per month, that's not bad in my book...
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

IanPal

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2015, 08:57:39 am »

, parking should be totally effortless.

You should of whipped down to Fords and test drove one of those that's supposed to park it self, I'd love to find the tightest space I could find and let it try, when it hits the car behind just say to the salesman, it wasn't me, it was the car.  {-)

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2015, 09:05:17 am »

You should of whipped down to Fords and test drove one of those that's supposed to park it self, I'd love to find the tightest space I could find and let it try, when it hits the car behind just say to the salesman, it wasn't me, it was the car.  {-)

Hmm...not too sure about that, mate. I'm too much of an old fart for that sort of thing, I think...besides, if the parking thingy is powered by Microsoft software, it's just as likely to crash and write off a whole street full of cars .... %)
Rich

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

inertia

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2015, 09:18:42 am »

The latest model C3 (from 2009 onwards) is a totally different car from the old 1.4 petrol one we had (2002 model). The build quality and thickness of metal in the bodywork are vastly superior. There are no annoying rattles inside the cabin; no loose fittings or irritating catches that don't work. In short, it's surprising when you see that it's a Citroen................and it goes like greased weasel pooh.
The problem with all of the main manufacturers and Motability is that they want such a hefty deposit and monthly payment for what is essentially the same car as the C3. See if you can get a 1.2 Fiesta or Corsa Auto for less than £250 a month.
DM

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2015, 10:12:38 am »

ok2
Thought of you in this car?

It is one Citroën, it is good price here, all people are satisfied with it and it is spacious.

The maintenance is economic.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2015, 10:17:15 am »

Spot on, DM...the C3 is nil deposit and £53.75 per week. The cheapest Fiesta is still nil deposit, but I'd lose all of my DLA benefit...£111 per week. Apart from the fact that I wouldn't go to our local Ford dealer after the fracas last time we had a car from them, I still have half of my DLA allowance to put into the coffers.
Rich

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.