Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: J Class Yacht 'Georgiana'  (Read 14509 times)

Ramon

• Full Mayhemer
J Class Yacht 'Georgiana'
« on: April 28, 2015, 11:28:51 pm »

Quite sometime back I posted on here my wifes and mine new found experience of sailing with our Joysway Focus with the Norwich Club. Well since that time the passion for sailing has grown considerably, racing weekly through the season at NMBC's Eaton Park pond with a couple of Thetis one metres and pre owned Enigma and Cumulus marbleheads. We still have the Focus's but it's only my wife now who sails hers regularly.

Just after we began I saw the J Class hulls produced by Alan Horne and though having little sailing experience at the time decided to purchase one 'just in case the supply disappeared'. Well, it's taken a while due to other modelling commitments but I'm pleased to say that at last it's finished and ready for the water, the final touches done today. It did get it's bottom wet a fortnight ago but it was far too windy so it got a ten second splash just to see how it sat in the water. The couple of items that required improving were done this afternoon ready for Saturday when hopefully the weather will be more suitable.

Anyway here she is - I've called it Georgiana in tribute to the Lowestoft (my home town) beach yawl described in Malcolm Darch's book 'Modelling Maritime History'

She's rigged the same as our one metres using the removable winch system recommended by Alan (Horne). My original intention was to make this as near scale as practical but having seen just how much time decks spend underwater decided to keep it very much 'stand off'. The decks are planked with lime and mahogany on top of 1.5mm ply and finished with 'Canbrush' clear laquer, a product which, used on the refurbed marblehead, has proved to be extremely resilient to cracking and abrasion.

For anyone considering doing the same I can thoroughly recommend Alan's product. The finish of the hull was truly superb, the laser cut wood parts matching the inside profiles extremely well requiring very little work. The moulded ballast too, snapped into position deep in it's place. No, I honestly have no connection - just extremely satisfied with the product at a cost far less than the Thetis one metre. For me that represents extremely good value.

There are a few other pics of the build should anyone wish to see them but apart from those if the weather is kind, Saturday will see her on the water for a decent trial - I'll get some pics if possible and report back on her handling.

Regards - Ramon

Ramon

• Full Mayhemer
Re: J Class Yacht 'Georgiana'
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 10:30:39 pm »

With no response it's a bit hard to know if there's any interest in this but as promised here are a few pics of the yacht on her first outing.
She performed well throughout the day with a steadily increasing breeze and handled superbly. No luffing up nor falling off was experienced and quite a bit faster than anticipated. She does heel over quite a bit compared to the one metres but that's to be expected. My wife had first privilege and it was a good hour before I could get hold of the tranny  {:-{  but between us we sailed her for most of the day. Once home a good check over showed some very slight swelling here and there where the clear coat on the deck must have been a bit thin so before the next outing the fittings will have to come off and another couple of layers applied. Apart from that no mishaps - so we are well pleased :-) . Hopefully we'll be able to make the Nottingham event in July.

We had a day off from our usual racing and had the first of our 'open' days hence the barges and wherry.

Hope the pics convey the moment

Ramon

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 11:12:59 pm »

Hello Ramon,

You have made a very nice job of building the boat  :-)).
Alan's boats are very good, the finish on the hulls is exceptional.
Glad to see another J sailing !!.

John.

My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 11:17:07 pm »

Lovely J there Ramon. If you have any pictures of the build I am sure there are plenty who would like to see them.  A J is on my (rather long) list of boats I would like to build.

Greg

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 04:48:20 am »

Ramon:
Thanks for sharing the photos, she is a beautiful boat and looks great on the water  :-))
Amateur at work...

a3nige

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 08:41:24 am »

Beautiful  :-))
"You're a hard person to ignore, but well worth the effort !"

ma1308

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 12:41:08 pm »

Very nice boat, if you do have a build log I would like to see it.  I was very tempted to buy one last year but I seem to be buying kits and storing them in the loft.

Biggles

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 07:22:19 am »

Hi Ramon

I've been wanting a J Class for a while now, I contacted Alan Horne a while ago, he's a very helpful man.

I think my fiancee might kill me if I buy any more yachts, but looking at your photographs, it might be a future project. Your J looks superb, you must be very proud sailing her!

Happy Sailing Biggles

Kevin Sage

• Full Mayhemer
  • JFDI
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 05:00:53 pm »

Looks stunning

Hellmut1956

• Full Mayhemer
  • Best Hobby in the World!
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 10:20:39 pm »

Great work! I also would enjoy seeing and reading a build log!
Best regards Hellmut

Brian Roberts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 11:39:46 pm »

Hello Ramon

You've made a superb job of your J class yacht and you're to be congratulated. I'm interested to know if this is the Nottingham 48 as I've recently ordered one from Alan Horne which I'll be collecting in the near future.

Brian

drm41

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 04:52:44 pm »

Hi Ramon,

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your J class, you've done a great job.

I'd also like to confirm that the finish on these hulls is absolutely superb and together with the laser-cut wood pack and comprehensive downloadable build manual make this a first rate product from Alan. The wood pack now includes two pitched roof hatch covers if you want to give the boat a more scale-like appearance.     Highly recommended.

Dick   

Ramon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 11:31:23 pm »

Hi guys - my apologies for this rather tardy response but things have been a bit er 'mayhem' lately and there's just not been the time.

Thank you all for your kind comments  which are much appreciated. Though I did make the effort to make a reasonable job it has to be said again, and to concur with your remarks that the hulls and associated 'kit' produced by Alan truly are first class - it certainly went together with ease and relatively quickly. Usual I take quite a few pics of anything I'm making for use as a personal record but this was so straightforward there are not as many as I first thought. For what they are worth then for those who've expressed an interest I hope they prove useful.

The basic kit of wood parts - the pre-shaped ballast to the rear. Although I don't have any pics fitting the rudder proved very straightforward - the instructions explain it very clearly.

With the rudder in place the hull was taped off for protection and the inwhales fitted using 'Z-Poxy' 5 min epoxy resin

Very little 'fettling' of the wood parts was required to obtain very good fits in all the right places. Again fitted with Z-Poxy all joining surfaces were sanded back to remove the carbon deposit left from the laser cutting

Because it was intended to plank the decks a sub deck of 1.5mm ply was installed. Carefully measured off it was masked and two coats of thin epoxy applied first. Once cured the masking was removed and the deck installed using Z-Poxy 30 min resin to give plenty of time to get the pre-cut masking tape 'hold downs' in place

The winch system as recommended by Alan is removable as a whole. It was based around a piece of 11.1mm dia. masting held to the servo mount plate as here

The fixed yellow plastic block was machined to act as a line guide at this end..

....and another, sliding block, to house the return pulley at the forward end. An small ply plate was installed to help keep the tube rigid, the side piece of ply is to act as a guide when trying to find the hole once the deck is on. The system works extremely well and certainly makes for easy servicing . That silicone rubber tensioner however is not actually strong enough so is destined for replacement with something more powerful.

Unfortunately a mite blurred but the only pic of the installation

The planks were attached with Zap CA running it down the side of the plank allowing it to wick beneath. The deck planks are lime strip purchased from Hobbies, the king and margin planks were cut from mahogany sheet from the same outlet

The main hatch was kept as small as practicable bearing in mind removal of the winch system

I think these two images bring it up to 'where we came in' (I wonder how many will remember that phrase  ok2)

Well that's about it I guess, once again my apologies for the slow response. Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to make the J open day at Nottingham but our next open day approaches so it won't be too long before her next outing.

Hope that's of interest
Regards - Ramon

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 08:29:55 am »

Thanks for posting those pictures Ramon.  You really have done a lovely job. 

A question if I may - what did you use for the caulking on  deck?

And is there anything you would do differently if you were doing it again? (OK, that's two questions! %))

Greg

drm41

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 09:23:17 am »

HI Ramon,
Thanks for another great set of pictures showing the build of the J class.
For anyone considering buying Alan's kit, the deck he supplies does have planking laser etched into it, for those like me who don't have the skill or patience to copy Ramon's excellent work.

Dick

p.s.   Really envy the look of your workshop setup

Ramon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 10:29:04 am »

Hi Greg, Dick,

The caulking was cut from some stiff, card like, paper bought from an art shop. They didn't have black so I used the nearest thing which was a very dark blue/grey. I actually think it has proved the better choice over black - still 'black' enough but not so stark. Each piece was held against the previous plank by the next one to be fitted, the cyano wicking underneath to grip the paper. Before sanding it all down thin cellulose sanding sealer was liberally applied - this soaks into the paper and helps adhere it to the planks if the CA has missed a spot. It also hardens the paper slightly which makes it much easier to sand down.

It all went on very well and no, apart from one minor thing I can't think of anything I would do different. The minor thing is that when sealing the decks with the aerosol clear coat I used I think I would apply two good brushed thin coats of a compatible clear varnish first, rubbing them down well before applying the clear.

The hull has had a good long dry out and the odd few white patches due to water have disappeared so it's time to get all those fittings off and give it another few coats of sealer.

Thanks for your interest guys

Regards - Ramon

PS - The one thing I did do was to make a new stand. I felt the one that is part of the wood pack is a bit on the small side and that holding the keel as it does might cause stress to the hull if stood by the pond side in a breeze. As you can see in that last image another, longer version, was made supporting the hull either side of the keel/rudder with the overall weight taken by the lower keel sat in a slot which also provides good stability. The self adhesive foam rubber protection strip was found on eBay.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 01:14:39 pm »

:-)) :-))

Hellmut1956

• Full Mayhemer
  • Best Hobby in the World!
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 06:42:33 pm »

I am still working on my own project Carina, also kind of a J-class. Thx a lot for the great pictures about the build.
Best regards Hellmut

normc12

• Shipmate
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 03:19:53 pm »

Ramon
Thanks for the build photos. I am currently making an Alan Horne 48inch and have used your photos to work out where the forward sheet brace goes! Plus other bits learnt from you.
Regards
Norman

Ramon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 11:10:50 pm »

Nice to hear of another AH J Class on the stocks Norman - :-))

Haven't sailed mine this year past due to other commitments but hope to see it back on the water this year.

Good luck with the rest of your build - you'll get a great buzz when she's afloat

Regards - Ramon

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2018, 04:31:18 pm »

Nearly five thousand views suggest that your build has been very popular Ramon  :-))

Given the look of the structure, let alone the hull, I am not surprised. Those lattice beams are very attractive, and as is so often the case such interestng detail has to be hidden under the deck!

Lovely yacht  :-)
Pond weed is your enemy

VANYA

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2018, 08:47:37 pm »

Ramon.

Exceptional build. Is it a Canterbury J ??

Like that you have taken the time to lay a proper deck as it really it a feature of any classic vessel, sail or motor.

They are so graceful those J's, happy sailing.

Hayden

Ramon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2018, 06:02:03 pm »

Thanks for the comments guys - very nice of you  :-))

Can't lay claim to the lattice work Ballast' that was all the work of Alan Horne's laser cutter.

Hayden - it's based on the Canterbury - virtually identical but has an internal ballast. I laid the deck 'straight' in the hope that it would look long and slim. I could only find one pic of a J with straight laid planks but I do admire the other builds on here that have taken the trouble to do as most J's have - those lovely curved decks.

Sailing and boats are not high on the list at the moment as I'm heavily engaged in a steam engine build but spring's round the corner  ok2

Regards - Ramon

surfer71

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2018, 09:43:40 pm »

I love this.. reason being.... I saved one from going to a SKIP!! thanks to John and his loverly Wife.

So it's in my garage awaiting resto.. the sails are long past it.. well I say that.. they have that old rustic look LOL.. but in terms of the boat it's not in great shape but once I start!! it's going to be a cracker..

BOY!!! they are heavy!! and I think the keel on my one has had a bash or three and there are some cracks.. so it would be good to find how they go togeather so I know what I am looking at.

Great stuff though.. :-)
If it floats it's a winner :-)

VANYA

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2018, 01:34:56 pm »

Surfer71.

You will enjoy the boat.

I built the Canterbury J #26 just when they started in Christchurch, NZ and they were always a graceful boat. I am sure you will make a nice effort.

Hayden
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 22 queries.