Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: pre calypso  (Read 3162 times)

vett

• Shipmate
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is theBest!
pre calypso
« on: May 24, 2006, 07:12:14 pm »

Dose anyone know the name of the minesweeper that the calypso was modifide from or pictures. I am thinking of returning the Billing kit back to the minesweeper.

Daryl

Re: pre calypso
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 07:56:45 pm »

This might seem a daft question but have you tried the Cousteu ( or however its spelt) Foundation, as they might be able to help.

Daryl

vett

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 03:38:27 pm »

I have tried everything I could think of maybe there is a site I missed.

Eddy Matthews

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 03:48:36 pm »

BYMS-1 Class Motor Minesweeper: Laid down 12 August 1941 as BYMS-26 by the Ballard Marine Railway Co., Inc., Seattle, WA; Launched 21 March 1942; Sponsored by Isobel Prentice, the daughter of the Ballard Marine Railways foreman; Completed and transferred to Great Britain 22 August 1942 as J-826; Commissioned in the Royal Navy in February 1943; Reclassified BYMS-2026 in 1944; Decommissioned in 1946 and laid up at Malta; Struck from the Naval Register 10 June 1947; Returned to U.S. custody 1 August 1947; Sold to Joseph Gasan, converted to a car ferry and named Calypso; Sold in 1950 to Jacques Cousteau; Struck by a barge 8 January 1996 and sank at Singapore; Salvaged 25 January 1996 and towed to Marseille, France.

Specifications: Displacement 270 t.; Length 136'; Beam 24' 6"; Draft 8'; Speed 15 kts; Complement 32; Armament one single 3"/50 gun mount, two 20mm, and two dcp; Propulsion diesel, two shafts.

Hope that helps....

Eddy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 04:09:11 pm »

Try this site. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calypso_(ship) Then do some searches on "British Motor Minesweepers BYMS" you may then be able to get back to the original American building info. Good Luck!

Extract: Calypso is the name of a ship that Jacques-Yves Cousteau, one of the most important researchers in oceanography, equipped as a mobile laboratory for field research.

Calypso at La Rochelle.Calypso was originally a wooden-hulled minesweeper built for the British Royal Navy by the Ballard Marine Railway Company of Seattle, Washington, USA. She was a BYMS (British Yard Minesweeper) Mark 1 Class Motor Minesweeper, laid down on 12 August 1941 with the yard designation BYMS-26 and launched on 21 March 1942. She was commissioned into the Royal Navy in February 1943 as HMS J-826 and assigned to active service in the Mediterranean Sea, reclassified as BYMS-2026 in 1944, laid up at Malta and finally struck from the Naval Register in 1947.

After World War II she became a ferry between Malta and the island of Gozo, and was renamed after the nymph Calypso, whose island of Ogygia was mythically associated with Gozo.

The Irish millionaire Thomas Loel Guinness M.P. bought Calypso in 1950 and leased her to Cousteau for a symbolic one franc a year. Cousteau restructured and transformed her into an expedition vessel and support base for diving, filming and oceanographic research.

vett

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 12:32:15 pm »

gee guys what more could I ask for . Thanks for the info

Roger in France

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 06:25:52 am »

Not strictly "Pre-Calypso" but I thought some of you may be interested.....

I live in France, just north of La Rochelle where Calypso has been lying and rotting for years. Sadly she is the subject of a legal dispute as to ownership between an organisation lead by Cousteau's wife and another by his children. Last month our local newspaper reported that the Courts had awarded ownership to the wife but the children's organisation is to appeal that ruling.

Sadly Calypso remains berthed under tarps. and rusting away.

Roger in France
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.