Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Wellington's Victory  (Read 15236 times)

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Wellington's Victory
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2015, 08:23:18 am »

Arrow, I'm with you. Latest in a long line of Scotsmen, (even though I wasn't born there), with a little Runcorn thrown in for good measure. My be a Duncan, but wear the Robinson Tartan.
Once had a wee wall chart whick listed all the historical achievements through the industrial revolution, before and after as well, attributed to Scots. We've more than made our mark on history and our current civilization.
But remember, the Scots are only one tribe of that glorous land, with its history back into the sands of time.
 O0
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2015, 08:50:10 am »

Non Mon Ami, I dont know the WORDS but I do know when and why the words were written, but the music IS grand.   The "British" national anthem has similar words against the Scottish people but unlike the Revolutionaries of France were written by the aristocratic ruling English "toffs" of a certain era, they seem to still exist in the 21st century >>:-(   I do like the German anthem when played as a hymn , in spite of being bombarded by propaganda during WW11 as a 5year old. :embarrassed:    So how about Jonty`s plea for a return to the MUSIC ??????
..well can you land on this?

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2015, 10:27:57 am »

Splendid idea, old chap.
Jonty's music it is
 :-X

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2015, 08:32:37 pm »

+You are all arguing about the make up of Wellingtons British Army, I have read in a very good resource book, that it was about 45% Catholic Irish, 25% Scots, about 11% Welsh and the rest English. But the real star troopers were the Kings Germanic League and of course Bluchers Army. Also mention must be made of the Dutch and Belgium regiments that also valiantly did their bit that day.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2015, 08:47:17 pm »

and the music was international too I`ll bet {-)

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2015, 10:30:39 pm »

[ Best English song "My Love is Like a red red rose"  written by a Scot.

Not to mention Schuberts Ave Maria music   inspired by Sir Walter Scotts poem Lady of the Lake Nowt to do with the church. Proper lyrics  sung partly by Celine Dion and also surprisingly full lyrics sung by Burl Ives

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2015, 04:42:48 am »

Said it before.
Will say it again
there is no place called Britain.  That is a conglomeration of countries. Scotland call themselves scottish, Wales are Welsh,  Ireland is irish but England is British that does not exist!

Klunk, Great Britain is the official name given to two kingdoms, England and Scotland, and the principality of Wales, according to this website -
http://resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/britain/britain.htm

According to the site, Britain refers only to England and Wales, but it's worth reading the information contained on the site. After you've read it you'll probably be more confused, I was %%

Arrow5, I'm all for the Scots, my great grandfather on my mother's mother's side came from Dunoon. He settled near Lismore in northern NSW in the mid 1800s and called his property Dunoon, which is now the name of the village that eventually developed nearby. I have been to Dunoon in Scotland, and it's a much bigger place than our local village, but the weather's not as good over there %) :-)  I love the bagpipes and rarely miss a chance to see our local pipe band perform, and I love it when Scotland (or anyone else, for that matter) beats England in Rugby {-)

Peter.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2015, 08:24:45 am »

Peter, I have spent many a happy days at the Cowal Gathering in Dunoon,(and nights. :o) The sound of two and a half thousand pipes and drums  playing in revenge or in triumph after the World Championships the previous weekend would stir a heart of stone.  There have many fine pipe bands from Australia compete at both events.   I thought the official title of this country was The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. I  think that that the people of Wales believe themselves to be a nation and not a principality. 

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2015, 10:16:59 am »

My passport is issued by The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Doesn't mention the Isle of Wight though....

Colin

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2015, 10:21:38 am »

Aye and if as a kid   trying to sleep you were kept awake  by the piper blasting away out side the pub next door every Friday Sat night :} . Took me along time to  accept  them later in life  even then  my troop were always billeted next to them and practice  could be wearisome despite they had  a number one in the top 20.I t was always a lift to march off to The Pipes but changing momentum from the Mil Band to the pipes on the hoof an art in itself.also the first regimental funeral at the graveside was the most chilling I have ever experienced .to have the piper just behind you playing the Flowers o the Forest  then quietly fade away into the distance  only to turn round and he was still in the same place Brrrrrr! never forgotten that and no electronics

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2015, 10:40:16 am »

My passport is issued by The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Doesn't mention the Isle of Wight though....

Colin
Got its own parliament like Isle of Man ?    Bet you I can post a parcel from Inverness to Isle of Wight but cant get it returned because "doesn't post to the Highlands and Islands".  The Isle of Skye is connected to the mainland by a bridge , is the Isle of Wight ??????.  Roll on indepen....oh, never mind >:-o

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2015, 02:42:08 pm »

Careful here, we will have the west country wanting independance!!! Oh they already do want it!!!!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2015, 04:27:11 am »

I did say it was confusing, but Great Britain includes England, Scotland and Wales. The UK is Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Clear as mud really %)

Peter.

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2015, 07:36:03 am »

ok2

Commonwealth ?

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2015, 08:35:01 am »

A bit like that collection of independent states sometimes known as the Commonwealth of Australia
 :-))

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2015, 09:15:11 am »

That's why they play three anthems in the six nations rugby matches when we play Ireland. GSTQ for England, and the anthems for the Republic and the North.
Muddier?
Jerry.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2015, 09:59:46 am »

Used to always play  the queen at the start of the show in the  forces cinema  at least in Germany they did.I was on leave  in the 60's went to see a  war film called ''The Victors'' blow me if the  Queen wasn't played at the start albeit in the film.Force of habit I automatically stood up ( the only one I might add ) then another and another joined like rows of Jack inThe box  quite a wee bit of confusement :}

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2015, 10:12:02 am »

When I were a lad at flicks, they played t'anthem at th'end an everybody stood to attention. After a few years some people sloped off before the end so they moved it to the start. Now you don't hear it in a cinema at all. The world didn't end on its demise.
Jerry.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2015, 02:18:12 pm »

I think young George and his new baby sister will reinforce Wellingtons victory for a few another century or so .......  O0

:-)) well done William & Kate.........

Derek....[but still a republican for OZ]

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2015, 04:01:57 pm »

Groan.... :-X

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2015, 04:49:03 am »

That's why they play three anthems in the six nations rugby matches when we play Ireland. GSTQ for England, and the anthems for the Republic and the North.
Muddier?
Jerry.

Isn't it only the Republic of Ireland that plays in the Six Nations, not Northern Ireland which is part of the UK? The Six Nations are England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, France and Italy, or am I wrong?

Peter.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2015, 08:35:49 am »

Peter, it's one of the times that the North plays for the South. Ireland is an island including the north. The republics name is Eire.
Really muddy
Jerry.

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2015, 10:08:23 am »

And that's before we start splitting hairs over the difference between a national anthem and a national song...
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2015, 11:36:26 am »

Most in Aussie could sing you the national song, "Waltsing Matilda", (damn I wish I could spell), but would have no idea of the National Anthem.
 %)
 :-))

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2015, 01:14:35 pm »

Everyone know's that the national anthem of Oostrtraaylia is the theme from 'Hawaii 5 O'.  %)  As for this clan tartan malarky it's a chunk of Victorian entrepreneurship  when Queen Vic made everything Scottish cool  8)  and romantic :kiss: .
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.