Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Airfix Royal Sovereign  (Read 6426 times)

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Airfix Royal Sovereign
« on: May 02, 2015, 12:00:44 pm »

Hi all I won this on ebay and as described the bowsprit was broken, well i've fixed the bowsprit

to be honest I dont think I will be staring this before my hols in a weeks time but I am excited by the prospect.
the moulding for such an old kit I think is outstanding, its certainly equal to the Heller La reale.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Airfix Royal Sovereign
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 03:07:05 pm »

When I was looking for a name of a ship of the line for the alternative to HMS Victory for the test vessel I built, (Airfix's 1/180 HMS Victory), I saw that Royal Sovereign was one of 5 that were in the 1st rate list, the others were queen charlottes or royal george, a 1st rate ship of the line appeared to have over 100 guns, from the pictures above, the Sovereign appears to have 78 with say 2 carronades so possibly 80 guns, was this model ship the 1701 version a forerunner to the 1786 vessel that matched Victory, i.e. Victory 1785 was named for the great victories year, Victory 1737 that sank was part of a tv deep wreck program.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 11:09:27 pm »

Yes that is correct she was burnt in an accident and they built the Sovereign of the sea as her replacement.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 04:29:06 pm »

From wiki, the 1701 version consisted of the bottom timbers of the one that burnt previously - i.e. salvaged timbers, as was Victory 1737, she was also constructed from remnant timbers from it's burn't forerunner (wiki info) - they weren't that careful in the 1700's were they !!!!!, so I used a Victory 1785 to represent Royal Sovereign 1786, so is this going to be a runner or static? - mines a runner - just.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 11:23:12 pm »

They didn't do too bad with fire prevention and control, but it was an ever present evil given the ship is all wood dosed in tar and carrying miles of rpe and acres of sail, it is a wonder that more ships did not catch fire, and then there is the several tons of gun powder!!!!!
Pond weed is your enemy

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 03:21:34 pm »

Apparently according to wiki, it is while they were removing the organic fouling that the fires caught hold, the advent of copper plating to kill the organisms is a defining moment in sail.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 03:50:35 pm »

So are you going to make it a runner  :}, how big is it and other than a rudder and rotating masts (the easier option as the fixed sails will all move as required - in my opinion anyway)

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 05:54:06 pm »

That is awesome but no I don't have the nerve to try that, this will just be static.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 12:13:20 pm »

The Brass masts don't help much in that it makes it top heavy, its sister ship HMS Victory 1785 will be fitted with the original plastic masts in much the same way to reduce the weight, but built so that they can be replaced if they break, the spare set (from sovereign) would then be stiffened and fitted the same. hopefully the lighter masts will allow a smaller/lighter keel fin

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 09:37:53 pm »

Can you clad the bottom partly with lead sheet or will that just make her crank and slow to return to vertical? Instead of a yaught type keel??
Pond weed is your enemy

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 09:38:27 am »

oooooo - real copper bottoming, now theres an idea  {-)
the concentration of the weight in one place along the keel is probably more benificial rather than spreading it over the whole bottom - moments of inertia / cantilever effect etc, i.e. if its all equal to the weight above x distance, to the shorter distance to the keel x the weight, she would self right, keel over in a strong gust but then still pop back up. An increase in the keel weight would ensure the roll over would be slower, for the victory, I got a test weight of about 700g inside the hull when it was just the plastic hull - in reality after all the other bits were added, the keel weight was somewhere about 250g at about 125mm below the keel - after ensuring that the majority of the weight was at the 125mm below the keel, anyway this is not about mine, I was wondering if you think this would convert to rc, a light weight servo for the rudder, a feather Rx, maybe a standard servo at the bottom of the hull via linkages to turn the modified fore and main masts would that be possible?, a detachable keel fin could make her a static if things didn't work out.
On youtube someone built, I think it was Wasa, and then sailed it in his swimming pool, stating he only used a couple of euro coins to balance her.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 08:37:50 am »

Sorry, I meant just a small area clad along the keel, as like you point out, it wil not have as beneficial effect spread all over the place! The etched copper plates you can get do look interesting though.

Pond weed is your enemy

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 09:40:05 am »

So are you going to make it a runner  :}, how big is it and other than a rudder and rotating masts (the easier option as the fixed sails will all move as required - in my opinion anyway)

Rotating masts are cheating!! (Also for girls)  {-)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 09:57:25 am »

:kiss:  ooo sweety,  {-)
In my case with a kit this small and being a novice, it's also the easiest way of acheiving functionality
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.