Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dilluting spray cans paint  (Read 4252 times)

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
dilluting spray cans paint
« on: May 04, 2015, 09:37:17 pm »

Hi all
quick question . I have sprayed the decks and need to touch up a few bits. When I spray the paint in to a lid and use that I find it dries very quickly . I have tried universal thinners to thin the paint on a test piece but that seemed to cause the first coat of paint to soften and make a poor finish . any one got any suggestions

john

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: dilluting spray cans paint
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 09:46:26 pm »

Depends on the paint in the can. But some makes have cans of leveller which softens previously sprayed paint. might work.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 10:37:17 pm »

the paint hycote double acrylic.I just need to some how thin it

john

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 07:02:51 am »

H John - I've had this problem too.  I found that if I sprayed far more paint than I needed into the cap or a cup and then left it for 5 minutes it thickened up enough to brush it on.  Its quite a waste of paint though.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 08:39:17 am »

I agree with the above reply about touching up spraying. A lot more paint in the lid than you need and some paints do dry quickly than others. I had to do this to touch up ( not on decks) the Scotia's blue and got away with it. I used a little oilier or the tip of a tooth pick also had a wet rag to wipe of over painted parts. But you have to be really quick. Halfords rattle cans have touch up paint kits unfortunately they wasn't one for the blue I was spraying. Maybe a reprep and a respray  would be the way to go. I have tried meths to thin Tamiya acrylic paint and works a treat don't know whether meths is suitable for your Hycote

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 10:25:03 pm »

thanks for the replies . I found the paint goes thicker after time . What it is I need is to thin it so it won't show brush marks . Even the first paint out of the lid will show brush marks

john

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 11:04:56 pm »

HI John

You have a major problem as the paint is thinned by the propellent, usualy butane, once the butane has evaporated the paint starts to go off, if brushing be very quick and only do small bits at a time. If you keep the can cold it may give you a slightly longer working time, but only seconds.

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 11:11:21 pm »

I have done this, too.  But I spray a bunch of the paint into a very small baby food jar, and screw the lid on tight until I am ready to use it.  Even at that it dries very quickly.

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 09:26:40 am »

Hi John. Even with a sealed baby jar the volume of air allows the solvent to escape, only way is to spray a small amount and brush immidiatley, or have you seen the small tins of paint in the pound shops? might get a reasonable match.

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 10:29:42 am »

You might consider looking into some of the "Professional" alternative spray nozzles you can get that will fit on to the majority of spray cans.

They are sold in artist shops and the like, although if you want the best selection look online for people selling street art (it's not graffiti they promise  <*< ) supplies.
They have a huge range of different nozzles which will alter the spray pattern hugely, from very fine and precise lines to fine mists with almost no splatter.

I've got a few I bought some years ago and they are fantastic, cost a couple of quid each - I wish I knew where they were or I'd send you a couple to try. Must buy some more thinking about it, the standard spray nozzle on a Halfords can is just no good for smaller models.

Alex

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 01:59:07 pm »

Thanks for the replies. What it is on the front and rear of my boat where the bulwark is there are stanchions  (guessing that is their name ). it was to hard to mask so I masked up near and sprayed the deck colour . I was hope to be able to thin the spray paint so I could paint the rest of the deck by hand . the results so far have been very poor . I might go to a car body shop and see what they suggest . I have a touch up pen in the same colour but that also is too thick and needs thinning

john   

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 03:18:50 pm »

John
It wouldn't help you to use liquid masking in the areas where you don't want the spray to go on. I've got a green deck sprayed and will fitted it later in the build but the inside of the bow bulwarks and the supports are white so I'll use liquid masking in and around the supports /deck and use masking tape on the other bits that's easy to mask up to stop over spray.

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 04:09:59 pm »

Another technique I have used is to take a sample part that has been spray painted, with rattle can paint, to the hardware store.  Have them color match it by computer with some latex brush paint.  On my Loyal tender, the mustard yellow color matches so closely you cannot see the difference.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 09:16:53 pm »

thanks for the reply . I will have to look in to that liquid masking .That might be an option .
Getting the paint matched would not work for me as  lacquer is going to be going on this deck . That would cause a reaction
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.