Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are there strange forces out there?  (Read 2066 times)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Are there strange forces out there?
« on: May 06, 2015, 09:24:32 am »

Hi all, in 2013 I did a lot of traveling.  On my return from Thailand I am in Heathrow waiting at the baggage reclaim for my case to arrive.  There was a jumbo jet of passengers and baggage.  The nearest I could get was the first bend of the conveyer.  It had been overloaded and a case fell at my feet, a big guy went to pick it up and put it back, I intervened and said "This one is mine".   He gave me a very strange look.

Back in the late 80's my daughter was at university and would phone home for a bit of comfort and support.  She would give me a phone number and I would then ring her as it was cheaper than feeding telephone boxes.  So I had a lot of numbers written on a pad by the home phone.  This was pre mobile phones.

I was filling in a form one Saturday afternoon and wanted to ask her a question.  Without thinking I went to the phone and dialed the last of her contact numbers and it rang for about 20 seconds.  It was picked up and I recognised the voice and said hello, It is your dad here and asked the question.  She was some what non plussed and said do you know where this phone is?  I said No and she said it is in Plymouth market and I was just walking past and heard it ring.
We dine out on that story.

May the 4th. be with you.
Roy

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Are there strange forces out there?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 09:56:36 am »

My old boss always told us a story of when he was sat in a BK store with a cup of coffee at a service station, he said that whilst staring at the cup, he noticed a woman a couple of tables away kept looking over, now being a hot cup of coffee and a slippy table - and as usual - it being a little lob sided, the cup started to move without any contact by my boss, she was slightly preturbed by this and quickly left, jedi tricks not used, just hot steam from the wet table lifting the cup just enough to act like a hovercraft. would have loved to seen the face of the woman.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 10:26:26 am »

Roy, that one is mind boggling.

The closest I've got,  I think, is quite a family favourite.

When I was 15 I went on a school trip to Newquay, terribly long bus trip back which resulted in lots of kids being sick and we had to stop at the services on the M27 just outside Portsmouth to eat our lunch.
Walking from the bus to the picnic tables I managed to drop all of my lunch in a huge puddle rendering it inedible. Resigned to not eating for the rest of the day I sat there thoroughly miserable with no money left to buy anything, us having spent it the night before.

Now at this time my father was working in the far east and was due to be away for another 2 months or so. However at the moment I sat  down at the picnic tables next to the entrance steps to the services a man happened to amusingly fall over and, being 15, we all laughed heartily.

Or at least I did until I happened to notice it was my father!

Dumbfounded I chased after him and he explained what had happened.
Turns out he had got advised to leave the country he was in due to some unrest and so his company had flown him back home for a few weeks for it all to settle down. His flight had been due to fly into Gatwick so he'd have just taken the train down to our house near Brighton to come home but the aircraft had been diverted due to bad weather at Gatwick and he'd landed at Bristol and taken a hire car back but the M4 being snagged up he cut across country to the M27 and ended up falling over right next to me at the Portsmouth services.

Thankfully it also meant he could buy me lunch but the chances of us two ending up at the same spot through random circumstances must have been incredibly minute.

Still doesn't beat Roy's story though  {-)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 01:22:02 pm »

Hi all, some more odd things all at first hand.

I had an odd experience when I was about 11 or so.  I had a padlock for my bike but had lost the key.  I went to the cycle shop in Kentish Town to see if they had one. 
There was a lady in front of me with same problem.  There was a mass of keys on the counter and after some time the assistant found one to fit her padlock. 
He then proceeded to sweep them all back into a box I said I wanted a key as well but in those days kids were mainly ignored and there were just 3 or 4 left.  He looked at my padlock picked up a key and it fitted.  We were all surprised and he said I could have that one on the house.

I had another coincidence about 1990.
I co-wrote an article in Model Boats RC magazine about boiler water level detection.  The club I belong to had its' annual exhibition in St. Albans and I was near the entry door when a visitor said he was from South Africa just visiting a relative nearby and saw our advertising and came along.

He asked if anyone built steam model boats as he wanted some advice.  OK what would you like to know? 
He pulled out of his pocket the article I had written with Malcolm Beak and said he was not quite understanding the electronics.

I said that I had written the elecronics part and he was to say the least 'surprised'.

We sorted his problem and he went off a happy man.

Now in about 1980 I was working, had a company car and just leaving a hotel near Runnymead in the afternoon and about to join the motoray.
I never pick up hitch hikers and we were under instruction not to as well.

I saw a lad about 16 or 17 thumbing for a lift.  I stopped asked him where he was going and picked him up. 
After some conversation I said this is your lucky day as I live in the next road to you.  After relating this to the family my son said it was one of the lads in his class at school.

In the late 1970's I was a Manager for a well known computer company and had to visit the various computer and data processing sites in my area.
I went to one in Boreham Wood which I had not been to until now as the patches had been re allocated.  I talked to a very chatty computer room manager there and this company were in the domestic fuel oil business in a small way.

I related a tale that I had changed from oil to gas and had new central heating installed.  Oil was expensive then and I had sold over half a tank of fuel to a retailer but when after a month or two and no cheque appeared I rang the company they said they had sold it on but lost the records.
The guy gave me a funny look went away and came back with the records of them buying the oil from me but not the address.
So I left with a cheque for the oil.  It is a funny world.

regards Roy

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 01:28:43 pm »

We went for a Holiday in the Dominca Republic and met another couple from Manchester at the complex when learning to Scuba Dive.
A few weeks later we went to the Blackpool illuminations and bumped into them coming out of one of the large ammusement arcades..   %%

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 03:50:55 pm »

Roy buy a lottery ticket and tell us all what numbers you chose  :-))
Don't Assume Check

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 06:53:53 pm »

I was lying on top of Mt Sinai one night looking up at the stars & satellites - someone said "Do I know you?" turned out to be a guy I was at school with 30 years earlier. Small World
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.