Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speed controller cut out at low lipo voltage  (Read 1482 times)

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too late for a happy childhood
Speed controller cut out at low lipo voltage
« on: May 07, 2015, 05:14:13 pm »

Following a meltdown after picking up a bread wrapper on the prop I have installed a Turnigy Aquastat 160 amp esc and an Epower gt4020 brushless outrunner from Giant Shark.
I tried it out today and the performance is good. There is an issue that I can't see a solution to.
At the moment the esc just cuts the power when the cut out voltage is reached. This left my boat in the middle of the lake. I cannot see any parameters to set with this esc to do with cut off voltage or reduced power running. I did have a low voltage buzzer fitted to the boat but my chances of hearing it are nil.
I have looked for a method to avoid stopping mid water but I can't find anything other than setting a reduced power parameter which it looks like I don't have

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Speed controller cut out at low lipo voltage
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 09:46:06 pm »

When the esc cuts due to low voltage you need to wait around a minute then you can drive back at low speed. The higher the current the greater the voltage drop on the lipo causing the cut. Waiting a short time allows the voltage to rise again and the motor to work again. If you keep the speed low and the current low you should have enough power left to bring the boat back. Not really a good idea to reduce the voltage at which it cuts off as this can end up with the battery being discharged too far which is bad for it.
The best idea is to use a timer to warn you when it is time to bring the boat back in.

One thing to watch out for with this esc is that the connectors for the water cooling tubes are steel not brass and will rust internally if water is left in the cooling system. This can cause a blockage leaving you with no water flow. I remove the tubes at the end of the days running allowing them to dry out.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 21 queries.