Model Boat Mayhem - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacement Insurance???  (Read 830 times)

Yogibear

• Full Mayhemer
Replacement Insurance???
« on: May 08, 2015, 12:46:56 AM »

Does anyone have insurance that covers there boat for accidental damage , total loss ???

I only ask because my friend crashed his DJI Inspire into a tree this evening , then when the battery reached critical level the landing gear extended loosening from said tree where it landed in a fast moving river.

I know its not a boat but I've got one of these drones as well and have public liability insurance but would really like to have some insurance to cover its replacement 2500 replacement value, hes talking about not going on holiday next year as he needs to replace it for his work.

thething84

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Replacement Insurance???
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 02:25:34 AM »

i would have thought if its for his work it would be covered under his company insurance.
If it ain't broke! Fix it anyway!

Yogibear

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 08:50:15 AM »

No unfourtunatly not, he has yet to get his licence and as such can't legally do any comercial work. I have suggested he tries to claim under his home insurace or his other business insurance.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 03:12:33 PM »

With my old home insurance, items about a certain value had to be listed separately and then extra cover was provided under the policy. However, some items could not be covered. I suggest contacting the insurer in the first instance.
I have just googled 'drone insurance UK' and there appears to be several insurers, and several discussion boards.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 03:43:00 PM »

Sounds harsh but if you need something for work (where I assume it would be covered) don't use it for play, or in this case if you might need it for work in future don't use it in a situation where it can be lost and is not covered.

I doubt house insurance would cover it as the single item limit is usually around a grand (least mine always has been) .

Yogibear

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 07:18:43 PM »

It's a bit of a catch 22 situation, to get his licence he needs flight hours but until he has his licence he can't be doing it commercially.

I certainly wouldn't have put my drone into that situation but then I have 15 years RC experience.

Spent an hour this afternoon walking up and down the river trying to see if it had washed up somewhere.
Pages: [1]   Go Up