Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Lena......my first boat build.  (Read 28509 times)

PICKETBOAT

• PICKETBOAT
  • Full Mayhemer
  • "History in the making"
    • Chylds Hall Model Shipyard
Re: Lena......my first boat build.
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2015, 09:51:10 pm »

Hi U2

It is always a bit of a dilemma, covering up all the hard work with a coat of paint, but then again try and remember that you are creating a scale replica. We all try and get our finished model as close as possible to the "prototype" vessel. Along the way lots of hard work ends up cover in the process.
You seem to be getting a nice finish on the hull. Hard work but well done.

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2015, 07:25:09 am »

Thanks for that Picketboat.
Got some bits added to the hull yesterday. I don't know if they have a name  :embarrassed:   but they are like long bumpers that travel along the sides of the boat. Got the other side to finish then it'll be ready for a lick of paint :-)) .

Mm seems the Gremlins have given my photos back  <*< ....... Good!       U2
It'll look better when it's finished!

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2015, 10:10:57 pm »

IMG[/color][/size]

Looks like they've taken them away again ........................... {-)

ken

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2015, 09:20:59 pm »

Blooming gremlins >>:-( <*<  mmmmm think I've frightened them off..... If so then here is a photo of my workings out for raising and lowering the sails ........

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2015, 09:35:30 pm »

Oh seems it worked! :-))

In that case here is yesterday's efforts.....
I made a tool for drawing a straight line on a curved surface.......

Then I drew the lines and masked the boat....

Then sprayed the line....

Hooray it worked....

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2015, 10:35:25 pm »

I think I have sorted out how to post pictures with my iPad now :-)  it should be simpler but it's a little fiddly  :(( 
Today I also managed to install the 🚬 machine and the 🔈, hopefully a bit more work on my ⛵️ tomorrow. But now it's time for 🍻 and bed.

Mad Scientist

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2015, 11:21:55 pm »

About your sail - you could probably eliminate the center line on your gaff. I've seen rigs like yours with just the ends of the gaff having 'inhauls', and the simpler, the better. :-) - Tom

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2015, 07:11:01 am »

Mad Scientist thanks for the input as I have never done anything like this before and I am just experimenting. (No pun intended  %% )
My original thought was to run the lines at different angles, one parallel with the mast, one with the trailing edge of the sail and one down the middle.
But luckily I always draw things before I make them and realised that as the sail is lowered the distance between the lines gets wider and that would stretch the eyelets and damage something.

So I just adjusted them until they ran parallel. After having thought about what you said I think I will go with two lines running through the sail but will keep the third attached to the top for a backup should one break.

So I will now have rings around the mast and two lines running through the sail with a third central fixture. I will carry on this route and post any findings here. Meanwhile if anyone else has any ideas, input or experience of this sort of thing then I'll gladly listen.

More soon........ U2

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2015, 12:49:57 pm »

So I will now have rings around the mast and two lines running through the sail with a third central fixture. I will carry on this route and post any findings here. Meanwhile if anyone else has any ideas, input or experience of this sort of thing then I'll gladly listen.

More soon........ U2

Hi U2

The top of the sail is usually attached to a gaff boom and the lines attach to the gaff not the sail. This way the top does not change when the gaff is lowered. See the rough sketch below.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2015, 08:42:56 pm »

Hi Jim, thanks for that. I certainly need help on this one. What I am trying to achieve is a remote lowering of the sail but at the same time once the sail so lowered I am trying to get it so that it folds itself so the trailing edge of the sail doesn't blow open. To do that I am going to weave the lines through the sail via eyelets. Unfortunately attaching the lines to the gaff boom won't allow for the sail folding itself when lowered, hence I have to attach the lines to the sail. %%
Well like I said it's just an experiment and I'm sure I will encounter lots of problems as I go along but I don't mind as it's fun trying.

If I get too much resistance with the lines and eyelets then I will go down your route. Thanks for the input! U2

Mad Scientist

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2015, 09:56:42 pm »

Hello, U2!

I have an idea ( %% ) about your sails. Here's a sketch of a 'typical' gaff rig, with halyards at the throat and peak (i.e. at either end of the gaff):

Ahh, finally got it on the fifth try!
If you would provide the 'a' and 'b' measurements for your sails, I'll get to work. :-)

Tom

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2015, 08:30:26 pm »

Grrr  <*<  gremlins just stole my post halfway through..... (Internet wifi cuts out occasionally with my iPad and when it comes back all info typed in this box unposted disappears.)

Tom it was a reply to you.... No more time now so in brief. A 20cm B 25. I'll explain another time.....

Mad Scientist

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2015, 09:04:00 pm »

Thanks, U-2. I'll get right on it. Might take a day or two, but definitely by Saturday. - Tom

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2015, 08:30:57 pm »

Hi again Tom, what exactly are you going to do or work out?

I wrote a big reply last night and just as I was about to post my wifi cut and I lost everything I was writing. >>:-( , but it was something along the lines of 'I might have figured out what to do' but will gladly accept other ideas for when mine doesn't work...... They usually don't  {:-{ .

But then something else cropped up...... See next post.

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2015, 08:49:10 pm »

DISASTER  <:( ...... After a bit of fiddling with the rudder position a couple of days ago I suddenly realised that the prop shaft was actually about 1cm higher than it should be  {:-{ . I considered all options and then bit the bullet and cut a large chunk out of the back of my boat >:-o i

I then had to fill the hole with blocks big enough to drill straight without coming through the sides.

Then once drilled I had to remove not only the excess but a bit more as well so I could add a layer of filler thick enough to sand to shape. Once I had done that I coated all the wood with fibreglass resin.

And finally got it almost back to shape before running out of filler......

Should be done tomorrow afternoon and then it's re paint and rudder fitting. If all goes well then it's first water will be this weekend to get an idea about ballast...... %%   ......... U2

Mad Scientist

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2015, 10:07:47 pm »

Hi again Tom, what exactly are you going to do or work out?

I wrote a big reply last night and just as I was about to post my wifi cut and I lost everything I was writing. >>:-( , but it was something along the lines of 'I might have figured out what to do' but will gladly accept other ideas for when mine doesn't work...... They usually don't  {:-{ .

But then something else cropped up...... See next post.

I am working on a system to hoist/lower your sails when underway, just because I've never heard of it being done.

Too bad about the propshaft! These things happen to full-size ships, too. An icebreaker needed a new bow. When it was finished, the shipyard realized that it had been made 30cm too narrow. An expensive mistake! - Tom

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2015, 12:58:14 pm »

Cheers Tom, let's see what we can accomplish between us O0 .   U2

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2015, 09:03:40 pm »

:}  Everything went to plan  :-))  I managed to finish the repair, paint her and get her into the water for a quick test :} :} :}   the boat sat quite high in the water and so the rudder was not as effective as I would have liked BUT once the waterline has been achieved it will be another 20% submerged and should be more effective. There was also a bit of a current on the water so that didn't help. That said it was good to see her in the water and moving under her own power :}

Once I got home I thought it best to find the correct ballast in the garage so I had to make a test tank 8)  any water I used went on the garden afterwards :police:

First I finished the repair..........

Then, well you have to draw the line somewhere..........

Once I got home I popped her into the home made test tank...

Loaded her with cargo to find the correct waterline

And sailed her from almost one end of my workbench to almost the other with her precious cargo of garden rocks and gaffer tape

Pics of today's outing coming soon to a screen near you, (as soon as I can get the camera of OH)

It won't be long now and it'll be first proper outing...... :}     U2

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2015, 07:02:32 am »

We love photos here on Mayhem :} :-))........ especially on the water...... finished or not %)

U2

mark w

• Full Mayhemer
  • "I stick my neck out for nobody"
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2015, 01:44:52 am »

U2,

Looks great in the water  :-)) . What is the length/beam/draught of your model, and what scale is it ? Do you have any photo's of the prototype ship?

Keep up the good work,

Mark
"If she can stand it, I can too, play it"

SteveB66

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats are chillin!!
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2015, 09:39:55 am »

Looking good  :-))

PICKETBOAT

• PICKETBOAT
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2015, 12:39:23 pm »

U2

Looks pretty good from where I'm standing. If your model is eventually going to be sailing under sail (as well as power) you might find she crabs to leeward quite a lot. I discovered this with my scale sailing models. It results from a physics problem associated with scaling prototype vessels down together with water/wind not behaving to scale. I overcame this by fitting a removable transparent keel extension which added "bite" in the water, can't be seen when sailing, but could be taken off when the model was displayed.

I am envious of you sailing lake and all the sunshine, both in short supply here in Scotland.

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2015, 03:07:03 pm »

Thanks guys nice comments make everyone day :} .

Mark,
 it's 104cm long 20cm wide and 12cm deep (mmm I'll double check that!) as for the prototype ship, well no photos or info just 2 very small pics to build it from (I scaled it up myself to what works out at 1/25 ish.) if you google 'Lena ship' on images you should get a black and white drawing of the ship which is half of the plan.........

Cheers Steve more photos soon......

Picketboat,
  I didn't know about the crab effect (thanks for the heads up) but I have already been experimenting with a removable keel simply because I thought it might help to reduce the model tipping over,unfortunately  with less than perfect results. I have a steel plate resinned (fixed in with resin) into the bottom of the hull and I made a keel with 2 very powerful magnets. Unfortunately with the weight at the end of the pendulum so to speak it broke free just a little to easily. ( I'll post photos even though I wasn't going to) so now I'm in the process of changing my design. It's going to be fitted with two tubes that slide into two larger tubes. Only two holes in the hull and the top will be above the waterline........ Again photos to follow........U2

PICKETBOAT

• PICKETBOAT
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2015, 04:54:48 pm »

U2

Your keel arrangement (with the tubes extending above water line) is the direction to go. You're  certainly picking this boat building up quick. I found that the addition of two small rubber or neoprene washers and a smear of lubricant, under the retaining nut heads prevented any water ingress and also stopped the nuts working free. No need to over tighten the nuts either, just enough to slightly crush the rubber washer. I use a knurled brass nut which can be finger tightened. Messing with spanners at pond side is a pain. The tubes may extend above waterline but the up and down movement of the model tends to drive some water up the tube and you could end up with some sloshing around in the bilge. The washers stop this.

The addition of  ballast as a "bomb weight" on the end of the removable keel is also a good move and will vastly improve stability and the stiffness of the model under sail.

Watching to see developments.

I'm sure you can't wait to take command of her under sail, in the mean time I thought you might like this picture of one of my models struggling in a heavy sea, under reduced sail. Great fun.   

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2015, 06:42:04 pm »

Oh wow I can't wait, if mine turns out half as nice as that I'll be a happy chap.....

In the meantime it was fiddling with wires time today, extensions etc. I now have reverse and some servos in place.

Here is a picture of the abandoned magnetic keel.... And with it removed to show the magnets.

Magnetic keel with the weight removed....(holds 800g but not very secure) idea scrapped........

You can see the magnets covered in body filler.

U2

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.