Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Lena......my first boat build.  (Read 28518 times)

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Lena......my first boat build.
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2015, 08:25:58 pm »

Well shipmates it's been some time since my last update and that's been because I've been away at HOGWARTS studying 'THE BLACK ARTS' there's been some magic smoke a lot of hair pulling, chopping and changing positions of things but I got there in the end and managed to fit

A fwd sail hoist winch
A rear sail hoist winch
A beam tightness winch
A sound unit
A sound unit on off switch
A sound unit speaker
A 12v lead acid battery
A main power on off switch
A smoke machine
A smoke machine on off switch
An ESC
A reciever
A removable keel tube
A 3S Lipo 2200 MHz
And about 2Kilos of lead into the bottom of my boat........

Here's the first attempt at the wiring diagram...........

And here it is without winch ropes or switch identifying labels yet....

U2

It'll look better when it's finished!

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2015, 08:36:20 pm »

Tidy layout.     :-))     :-))

You haven't forgotten the fuses have you. 

Cheers

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2015, 09:16:18 pm »

Actually, er yeah :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: . That's what caused the magic smoke. Here's the thing though, on the HOGWARTS BLACK ARTS COURSE they didn't teach me anything about what size shape or amp fuses to fit, so my idea was to ask on Mayhem once I knew everything worked, which it does as of today. Seems you beat me to it {-) . Any suggestions?    U2

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2015, 02:05:16 am »

U2.... Black Art circuit courses are great aren't they  {-)...so all very good, however are winch 1, winch 2 and winch 3....connected by WiFi?.....

Or some new invisible form of motive control? :o......
Or is this a new concept to ensure they don't >>:-( burn out?........

We also have these .... Black Art circuit courses in OZ, however I have yet to pass the theoretical parts of the examination.... Derek  %%.....
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2015, 01:39:41 pm »

Oh yeah Derek your right :-))  they are indeed magical as they are not connected on the drawing but yet they work in real life (luckily for me not the other way round). I did it as I went along to remind me of what I did, then I re drew it and once finished I threw the wrong one away :D .......oops the speaker on off actually cuts the power and not just the connection....... And the 3rd on off switch is connected to the smoke unit power line. :-)) ..... I cant believe I actually got it all to work..... When I say work I mean all the parts are doing what they should but now I have to fit masts and sails and see if I can get them to raise and lower remotely........... WE SHALL SEE........  %%     U2

PICKETBOAT

• PICKETBOAT
  • Full Mayhemer
  • "History in the making"
    • Chylds Hall Model Shipyard
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2015, 02:05:11 pm »

Hi U2

I hope you are keeping a careful eye on weight. It so easy to keep adding equipment and then discover you have about 2mm of free board! I know, I have done it.
Having said that, it all looks heat and tidy below decks.
Fitting some sort of waterproof seal around removable hatches is a good idea on working models functioning under sail. Plus ensuring wash ports or wash ways work. Inevitably the deck will nearly always ship some water and like a real vessel you want to get rid of it PDQ and not into the electrics.
Keep those pictures coming. 

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2015, 07:26:42 pm »

Hi again Picketboat, she was a little high in the water the first time I tested her so I added weight but kept in mind that I would be adding the deck the masts and sails plus all the other stuff. I worked it out including an 800g keel. However I have decided to change that to a 400g removable keel. Here it is........

Today.....

For the eagle eyed amongst you (Derek, Kenny, Etc ha ha I'm sure there are plenty of others but who just don't post for whatever reason....) you may notice that there is a gap between the keel and the hull. No worries it just isn't screwed in yet. There is a layer of filler which was pressed against the hull with cling film to stop adhesion. There are two copper tubes, an inner and an outer. The fit is almost perfect and once coated with a film of grease it will not leak. It tightens down with a screw bonded inside a round piece of wood and a rubber ring (thanks Picketboat) and (will) screw into a nut inside the inner copper tube. Thus closing the gap.

The second and third holes you see in the photos are 1 you won't see it on the finished item, and 2 a small hole for a locating pin I fitted to avoid unwanted rotation....... More soon.  U2

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2015, 07:30:11 pm »

It was me that took the last photo, honestly, NOT A CYBERMAN...... %%          U2

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2015, 12:48:02 pm »

Chimney made and fitted......
The chimney and operating servo are attached to a saddle bracket which is a push fit over the smoke machine which itself is a push fit into a removable bracket. The reason for this is to allow access should it be necessary. The whole system is removable and replaceable in under 2 minutes. Even though it's a good tight push fit it will be secured by the removable deck piece insert.
The reason for the folding chimney is that the original boat had to fold the chimney to allow the aft boom to operate.

Chimney up....

Chimney down

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2015, 12:53:56 pm »

Large access hole cut in the deck......  %%  Now to make something to fill it and make sure it doesn't leak %% ......

U2

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2015, 08:19:53 pm »

Final deck fit.......

Oh good all went well so I finished painting the hull......... And then took it for another sail.... :-))    U2

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2015, 08:21:48 pm »

Mmmmm the second photo didn't appear  :(( , here it is  :}

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2015, 08:31:14 pm »

Another beginners mistake, after cutting the hole in the deck so I have full access to all the interior I realised that the bridge fits over the hole :embarrassed: . I wanted to glue the bridge to the deck so I could attach the ships wheel to the rudder via ropes so that it turns when I turn the rudder........ Ah well I'll have to come up with something else, I'll get it working somehow.   U2

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2015, 09:38:20 pm »

Well well what a great day...... :}  I managed to finish all the varnish yesterday so today I fitted all the removable deck covers. There are 3. One large one for all the switches the removable keel/keel plug and access to the lipo battery as well as winch servos. One that the bridge is fastened to. (This is because I don't want to remove the bridge every time but do need access underneath occasionally.) and the third gives access to the smoke machine chimney servo rudder servo and motor. There is also a sub deck access cover which is secured with small wooden dowels. When this is removed I have access to the 12v battery terminals. I needed to charge it yesterday and had to remove the internal covers...... Photos tomorrow. 

I also started to add a few details........ Then waterproofed the deck and removable covers and took her out on the sea........ FANTASTIC!....... Pics tomorrow.    U2

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2015, 08:38:45 am »

OK pics of the removable decks etc later.... I couldn't wait and had to get her in the sea (still far from finished but getting there) :-))

I was about to sail her and photograph her with smoking funnel but decided to double check the battery power. On doing so I inadvertently broke a solder connection >>:-( STILL better on land than out at sea ;) 5 min repair back at the workshop..... photos of the FANTASTIC V4 SUPERSMOKER it really does smoke. Plumes of smoke rose into the air and made her look like she had a real burner inside. very much to the scale of the boat I might add..... :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))   U2

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2015, 08:44:50 am »

Note for observant people....... The reason for the sail being so high is because its the rear sail and has to clear the folded chimney :o
it was quickly secured with bits of string because I couldn't wait........ the big kid in me just had to get it sailing :} :} :}

There is a lot of experimenting to do yet with the sails and all will be shown on here in time..... hope you like whats happening so far,... U2

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2015, 08:47:28 am »

Looking Good!    :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

mark w

• Full Mayhemer
  • "I stick my neck out for nobody"
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2015, 12:01:51 am »

Very nice indeed  :} .

Mark
"If she can stand it, I can too, play it"

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2015, 09:06:31 pm »

Getting there now.....

a working ships wheel, I just attached it the same way the original boat attached it.......

ships binnacle (thanks Derek. see page 1)

one sail roughly positioned

more soon...... U2

mark w

• Full Mayhemer
  • "I stick my neck out for nobody"
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2015, 09:08:10 pm »

:-))

Mark
"If she can stand it, I can too, play it"

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2015, 09:19:50 pm »

Thanks Mark

Heres the other side view.... note the boom touching the funnel, it wont once its tensioned OR when the funnel is folded and its sailing under wind power alone......

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2015, 03:05:11 pm »

Well it's been some time what with one thing and another and then to top off all that my boat has decided to have another electrical problem. This is a serious one, enough to make me give up hope of ever floating her again <:( <:( <:( ......

With charged batteries my system works fine for a minute or two and then either the reciever light turns red and nothing responds or it all goes dead except the ESC. Switching the main power off and back on (on the boat but not the radio) usually re sets it to normal for another minute or so. Switching the radio off just causes the receiver light to turn red and then back to green once its switched back on.

The chimney is raised and lowered through a servo slow and takes 3 to 4 seconds (looks great) except when the problem arises and it shoots up or down. I have 3 sail winch servos and when the problem starts they just turn slowly until they stop.

I have changed the ESC and tried a different reciever, same result
I assume it's not the transmitter as that can't cut the power

That leaves three winch servos, a rudder servo, a smoke machine, (on a separate 12v system but connected to the receiver via a brushed ESC with a wire cut) a sound machine on the same 12v system which the motor ESC runs through and the 12v gel battery (for the 12v system which powers the things just mentioned)

QUESTION? If the 12v battery was damaged in any way (not visibly) but still charged to 15 volts before the charger switches itself off could it be the problem?

I'm going to unplug everything and re plug one at a time and see if I can narrow it down but failing that it's going to be a very expensive dust collector............. U2 {:-{

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2015, 04:58:07 pm »

First thing to test when it stops working is the voltage on the battery.

You haven't said how many amps it's rated at.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2015, 09:18:58 pm »

Hi Kenny, when the problem first occurred I was told "it's probably a low voltage on a battery" the Lipo was fully charged and when I connected the 12v to the charger it was at 12. Something (1 or 2) and charged to 15v before switching off.

I will re check the voltage tomorrow.

It's such a shame as I worked on it every day (almost) for 4 months and now just as I finished the sails which only leaves the hand rail and a few deck features, it would have been finished, about a weeks work, but instead I've lost interest as I have no idea of how to resolve intermittent electrical faults. :((

I should have just built a yacht.......... {:-{ U2

Oops didn't answer your question, I've no idea about amps, is it written on the battery?

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2015, 09:48:47 pm »

Hi U2, it is usually writted as mAh i.e 3200mAh that is the number of milliamps the battery can put out in one hour.

I am sorry to hear of the angst your lovely build is causing you. I am wary of electrics as it is invisible inside lots of wires and boxes. You can only see electricity when it turns into unwanted smoke and the occasional blue flash.

Still, do not be down hearted, be methodical, try out different experiments and remember that all that you learn from fellow Mayhemers here, and from your own discoveries will make the next models easier and less troublesome.

Your Lena is gorgeous by the way. I like the use of different timbers and the detailing is lovely.

Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 22 queries.