Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to boats questions......  (Read 3081 times)

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
New to boats questions......
« on: May 09, 2015, 10:39:03 pm »

Hello all, I just downloaded a free plan of a circa 1875 steam/sail schooner. The plan was lacking detail and when you zoom in it is very pixelated. Because I cant see the detail very well I decide to re draw the plans. I think they look ok but there are some things Im not sure about. It may be obvious to you guys so any help will be appreciated...

Its a twin mast schooner that looks like it has tapered masts, should they be tapered or just straight? the other thing is that the masts look like they are at slightly different angles one about 82degrres and the other at about 84. is that right or are they normally the same? thanks again. U2
It'll look better when it's finished!

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
Re: New to boats questions......
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 08:39:37 am »

Welcome to Hell! 
Once you have caught the bug it's hard to let go.
In answer to your questions. Yes the mast is tapered and yes the masts boulders be at an angle. It's called rake.  Someone will be along who will tell you why! 
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 08:40:44 pm »

Thank you for the reply Klunk. I will taper the masts. I realised they had to be at an angle (rake, thanks again) I just wasn't sure if the plan I downloaded was correct showing them at slightly different angles. I looked on google at some images of other boats and they all seem to have the same rake so I just made the rake the same on both masts........ U2

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 01:01:51 pm »

If the masts are in two parts it is likely only the topmasts are tapered.  The rake can vary by a couple of degrees and any associated booms will often be slightly tapered towards each end.

Any photo's or images ?

Jon

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 08:30:17 am »

Hi jon. The masts are one part and after a little deliberation I decided that a couple of degrees wouldn't make a difference on the model I am building so I went with two masts at the same angle....... with my building skills there is still a chance that they may come out at different angles anyway :embarrassed:

I started to put photos on a thread in Working Vessels called 'Lena   my first boat build' unfortunately I moved some of the photos from one folder to another and now they are not visible. That said there are a couple of photos still on from a little later in the build. I will also be adding some more as I progress. Thanks for the info..... U2

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 08:34:10 am »

This could be an interesting project . . . I'll keep an eye on it.  good luck :} :} :}

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 09:43:39 am »

Hi unsink2 How long a hull are you proposing to build?  Also to what scale?
You will probably have to adjust the hull so that there is enough displacement and also the keel weight will need to be as low as posible

I read somewhere that twin masts were aesthetically at slightly different angles so that when viewed from the deck they did not appear to come together as much as they might do.  Though 2 degrees difference does not seem very much.  I would set them both at the same angle.

good luck,
Roy

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 08:25:37 pm »

Hi Roy, thanks for the input. I am building a hull that is 104cm long. The original boat was 26 meters so that works out at 4cm = 1metre giving (I think ) a scale of 1/25.
 As for the masts, well a couple of degrees is neither here nor there so I put them at the same angle or thereabouts. Ive been very busy on it over the last few days and hope to have it planked by the end of next weekend (I hope). I have made lots of bits that sit on the deck so once I get it planked a few more weeks should see me ready for some sort of water trials...... :} all being well..... U2

smileyjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 10:14:48 pm »

sounding good . . . . any photo's yet  :-)   :-)   :-)   :-)

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 07:22:15 pm »

Hi Jon there are some photos on the thread "Lena, my first boat build" in working vessels. Since then I have completed a lot more things for the deck and just over half the hull is planked. A bit each day.... not a bad days planking today..... more photos within a few days..... U2
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.