Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 mistral carriers for sale...  (Read 4680 times)

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
It'll look better when it's finished!

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 2 mistral carriers for sale...
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 05:23:22 pm »

Pass the add onto Cameron the RN could with some more hulls cheap.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 05:49:48 pm »

We dont buy cheap. They would first have to be converted to specifications by the preferred bidder ( you know who! ), at the knock down price of three hundred million squillion pounds...each.
Work to be carried out in Scotland :-))
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 06:02:14 pm »

It's a very good illustration of what can happen if you run down your own defence procurement and rely on outsourcing even if in this case it is to NATO's advantage.

I am in favour of the new RN carriers but I do wonder if they might have been better off using less sophisticated and cheaper jets than the JSF. A bit like the Battle of Britain, the Spitfire was the better aircraft and got all the fame but the Hurricane actually did most of the work.

Colin

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 06:13:31 pm »

With HMS Ocean on borrowed time, to be replaced in capability (!) by the new carriers, a pair of these Mistrals, with their cold weather capability built into them for use in the Arctic, could prove very useful on the northern flank. There's irony for you. Pity they are uglier than a bag full of turtles!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 08:31:37 pm »

Hi Colin, your sentiments are similar to mine, the German king tiger in the last war was a superior tank but was a failure because of over engineering, compared to the Russian tank.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 08:46:23 pm »

[size=78%]A bit like the Battle of Britain, the Spitfire was the better aircraft and got all the fame but the Hurricane actually did most of the work.[/size]

Colin

Just to put things into perspective (sorry to go off topic) and for everyone info, the actual ratio of Spitfire to Hurricane was approx 33% Spitfire to 66%Hurricane which made up a Fighter Command at the time of the Battle of Britain.
When they say the Hurricane shot down more aircraft than the Spitfire but the ratio of kills during the battle was 45%Spitfire and 55%Hurricane so shot for shot per aircraft the Spitfire actually destroyed more aircraft than the Hurricane. But regardless without the Hurricane at the time we would have been severely short of fighters.

Back on topic  it's a shame that the hulls won't probably be used but you never see a RN ship being built abroad (RFA however...)
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 09:18:44 pm »

Very good point Nick but obviously there are a lot of differing parameters. If we need to go up against Russia (God forbid) then we need all the technology we can get but  'Hurricane standard' would probably be enough for other likely antagonists with the option of upgrading to JSF standard if the international situation deteriorates that far. The new carriers could have a life span of 40 years with potential for refitting and who knows what could happen in that time. In the meantime two big decks are a priceless defence asset whatever they carry at any given time.

Yes, South Korea are building the basic new RFA hulls but I understand that they will be fitted out in the UK.

Colin

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 10:27:39 pm »

talking of Hurricanes..... heres one I built earlier....

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 07:41:32 am »

Mick Reeves?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 09:05:50 pm »

Actually Martin its a VQ but I changed quite a few things and then painted it just to make it a little more realistic. I never flew it.... to scared of smashing it up....... never flew my Me 110 either. That's why I'm trying boats. That first flight is just too scary. I can only describe it to a model boater like this...... After you spend hours weeks or months building your boat you have to put it in the water for the first time. You have to now imagine that you have made a tiny fault and something doesn't quite work as it should...... hit the boat with a large hammer causing considerable damage and then take it home and re build it and try again repeating the hammer hitting until there are no more faults.... U2 <:(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.