Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Long term project - help & advice  (Read 3167 times)

lotty

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Long term project - help & advice
« on: May 03, 2015, 05:34:42 pm »

Hi all

I am new to the site. I am planning a new Long Term project and would really like to hear your views and advice. I am planning to scratch build a modern merchant ship. (probably OPDR CADIZ or similar). This will be a really big and difficult project for me as I have never scratch built before and I am looking  at it taking a few years. As there are no plans available (that I know of) I will need to produce a plan for myself from pictures etc. which I also have never done before.

The reason for starting this project is to see if I can actually do it and to test myself with something difficult.

I would really appreciate any advice as to where and how to start this (plans etc) what would be a good scale and what the best materials would be. Ply / balsa?

i am sure some will say DONT DO IT!!!!! but i am looking forward to the challenge

Regards

Lotty

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
Re: Long term project - help & advice
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 05:55:42 pm »

There's ship plans for Cadiz at http://www.shipdesign.de/html/index.php?navi=3&navi2=7&navi3=37

Is this what you're looking for?

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 05:56:20 pm »

try contacting the operator of the ship, sometimes they will help with drawings pictures etc
failing that she looks remarkably like the graupner Sydney Star if you can get one.
or browse through this site, might be a hull you could convert
http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/mpage/
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

lotty

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 06:47:49 pm »

great start already thanks for the replies, what materials would you recommend, I have never made a bulbous bow what would the technique be for that

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 07:25:45 pm »

If you haven't already done so then you would be well advised to invest in a couple of books on scale model boatbuilding. This will give you a good feel for the various skills and techniques required and enable you to seek specific advice from Forum members. I wouldn't worry about the bulbous bow just yet.

Colin

Leaky Bottom

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 08:00:28 pm »

I have never made a bulbous bow what would the technique be for that

A block of blue foam sanded to shape then sheathed in  epoxy resin and light weight glass cloth, then any imperfections can be filled with P38 car body filler, dont put P38 straight onto blue foam, it melts it, don't ask me how I know!!
"Leave me alone I know what I'm doing"

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 09:03:54 pm »

Hi lotty
as for Scale depends on what room you have to build her plus move her etc. she is 128m long . At 1:100 that works out at 1.28m long . Benefits of this scale is 1. very easy to convert , 2. fittings are available as several manufacturers use this scale ,deans marine etc,3. It is a good comprises as a smaller scale  you can get stability issues bigger scale transport issues

john

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 09:22:42 pm »

Have a look at these websites . They do hulls very similar to what you are looking to build

john
http://www.g-schmidt.com/schiffsmodellrumpfe/schiffsmodellbau-containerschiffe.html
http://www.steinhagen-modelltechnik.de/

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 08:05:24 am »

cos918

Cheers for putting up the links. The second one is good as it has the Polarstern @ 1:100, grp hull,  6 sheets of drawings and 52 photos available on that page  :-))

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 09:47:29 pm »

Hi Lotty, I am also new to boat building and just started a scratch build myself. I checked out this site and came across the Seabex one scratch build, lots of info there. I also checked out youtube build posts and learned how to plank a hull and deck etc. Good luck with your build. U2
It'll look better when it's finished!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.