Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Painting over epoxy resin  (Read 2867 times)

Ricketrider

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Painting over epoxy resin
« on: May 27, 2015, 12:56:16 pm »

Just putting the finishing touches to my Aerokits 'Sea Queen', it has had 2 coats of thin glass cloth using Deluxe Materials Aeropoxy resin and hardener.  Can any experienced modellers suggest which type of primer and paint to use on this type of epoxy resin surface?

Cheers Al

inertia

Re: Painting over epoxy resin
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 01:04:37 pm »

My most recent models have all used epoxy resin and cloth. I've used Halfords Aerosol primer-filler, the appropriate colour primer and then gloss - all with good results.
DM

Ricketrider

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 09:07:48 am »

Hi DM, thanks for your reply.  I've checked their website and found 300ml plastic filler primer - Is that the same stuff?

Cheers, Al

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 09:59:25 am »

Hmm, if you mean Halfords Acrylic HI-build primer (the yeller stuff) I used it on styrene resin on my boat & it reacted badly with their own primers & paints ,cracking in the corners crazing etc , I ended up stripping it & using etching primer as a first coat (don't know if all etching primers are suitable for fibreglass , this one was) then Car Plan acrylics , primer etc . . . it may not be necessary for Epoxy resins I wouldn't know . . . but . . . .

I'm happy with what I've got .
Bill

inertia

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 10:35:16 am »

Bill
I think that the solvent in the spray filler disagreed with the styrene resin. I've not had a problem with ZAP Finishing Resin which, of course, isn't polyester (it's epoxy). Judge for yourself:
Al
I've just checked and the can I have doesn't say the word "Plastic". That would indicate an etching action which might have made Bill's problem worse. Mine just says Filler Primer and yes - it's the yeller stuff (in a 500ml can).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.