Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deck question.....  (Read 2176 times)

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
Deck question.....
« on: May 22, 2015, 08:08:40 am »

Hi all, I am scratch building an 1875 steam schooner and have come across some 'circles' on the plan on the deck. The plan is poor and has details missing >>:-( it has 16 items numbered for detail but only a 4 of the numbered details are actually then detailed mmmm
 So I have been thinking that these circles may have been some sort of glass skylight for the quarters below deck but after following the excellent Clyde Puffer build I noticed that the puffer has some sort of manhole covers on the deck and I started wondering if my circles could be the same.

I have tried to google images but with no real success, any help or info would be appreciated. Thanks     U2
It'll look better when it's finished!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Deck question.....
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 08:34:45 am »

U2...could these be coal scupper covers?............certainly the ones on the Puffers decks by the engine room are for this purpose.......Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 11:17:57 am »

I think I'd go with Derek's answer of coal shutes, especially with it being steam driven. If it had been a pure sailing ship I would have opted for decklights- circular glass 'windows' set into the deck to give light below. If you have the scale, then a decklight is usually 6-10 inches a coal shute by definition would be larger maybe 12-18 inches.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 12:38:02 pm »

either that or they could be if in different positions all over the deck be deck caps for manual bilge pump sockets.................but if the rings are around the boiler bunkering position I would also go for Derek's solution as well.

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 11:39:54 am »

Thanks for that guys. The drawing Derek has shown is almost exactly like what my plan shows and so I must therefore take them as coal scupper covers.
 I have made some, they are not as good as they could be but they are good enough for my boat. id like to know how the guy who built the TID Tug made his scupper covers, they were superb. he did make them didn't he? it was a scratch built model? I think ill go and ask! Photos to follow soon as I have been continuing with the planking and not much to show at the moment..... maybe later    U2
It'll look better when it's finished!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.