Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GREAT EXPERIENCES IN LIFE, COME BUT ONCE.  (Read 5699 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
GREAT EXPERIENCES IN LIFE, COME BUT ONCE.
« on: May 23, 2015, 01:29:55 pm »

Drove into Fleetwood last night to see signs taped to lamp posts on the outskirts showing KTC and an arrow pointing the way.

Found out this morning what KTC stood for when we were held at a round about whilst 100+ Kawasaki triples of all sizes, 250. 400, 500 and 750's....paraded past and out for their rally.

each and every one was in a beautiful condition and I would estimate that on prices that these fetch these days, approaching a collective value of nearly a million quid.

The sound, sight and smell of all these delicious 2 strokes was just fantastic.............sadly I had forgotten my phone to get a photo or two and so the memory of the sight will have to last for a long time.

Didn't know that there were so many still around, but good on these guys for keeping them all in such beautiful condition and on the road. O0 O0 O0 :-)) :-))

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
Re: GREAT EXPERIENCES IN LIFE, COME BUT ONCE.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 04:17:15 pm »

I would loved to have seen that I'm into classic bikes of that era as I started of with fizzies,fantics and garellis in the 70's in my early teens to kwakers, water bottles and Z1's into the 80's. A decent H1 or H2 is bringing £10,000 a minter more like £12,000 god if I had kept all the bikes now I had Laverda Jotas and a Yamaha XS1100.
I have got back into bikes again but started collecting Triumph classics I got 3 USA imports TR6c's I never ever thought I would have an old Triumph but there got such an appeal now now matter where I go people stop me to talk about them.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 06:00:35 pm »

There are a few thousand Harley Davidson Motorcycles
in Lincoln from all over Europe this weekend.
About a hundred have been visiting Cleethorpes
today, mainly French guys with some beautiful bikes.
It's a four day event but you have to pay 75 squids for
a ticket for the whole weekend. No day tickets >>:-( >>:-(

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 06:11:49 pm »

Wonderful, I bet it was awesome :-))

Here is a piccie for you to drool over.

Si:)
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 07:47:20 pm »

well guys............it was probably the most outstanding sight I have ever seen.......three deep around the round about and the cavalcade stretched for well over 100 yards down the road...........I would rather have seen that site just the once than any 3 queens any day of the week..............it was gob smacking....

as for pollution, pollution and more pollution Jon.............my goodness mate....there's a place for you in a new TV slot...........it's called More grumpy old men, lol...............

IT'S CALLED NOSTALGIA!!! >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

And if us old men didn't have nostalgia there'd be nothing left in this world to enjoy! <*< <*< <*<

Eddie...........don't know which to drool over first.....the honey of a lassy or the honey of a tripple {-) {-) {-)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 08:14:01 pm »

I think those who have never ridden a good classic in their youth, just have no concept of what runs through your veins as you get older..........for years I think my blood type was Castrol R.

the meetings at Oulton, Darley Moor, Oliver's Mount and Silverstone, the smell of R and two stroke and the noise, just cannot be removed from your blood or your mind, and for people to say that we should move on into the future, just have no idea of what we true motorcyclists have gone through or the pleasures they gave us.

Racing in my youth against one certain Barry Sheene (only one race mind you) are memories to cherish, and for people to say that these machines are noisy, smelly and polluting...................well, all I can say is yes, and long may they be so....

I reckon those three "Queens" from Cunard, that thousands are going to see this weekend in Liverpool will probably throw more pollution into the atmosphere in one world trip than all the classic old bikes will ever do in a lifetime........long may these Kwackers bless our roads.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 08:25:12 pm »

Eddie...........don't know which to drool over first.....the honey of a lassy or the honey of a tripple {-) {-) {-)

Both... :-))

Si:)
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 08:28:47 pm »

I'll do that matey, lol :} :} :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 07:45:02 pm »

Neil one of my everlasting memories has to be watching Barry Sheene on the 500 Suzuki 2 stroke racing Phil Read on the 500 MV Agusta 4 stroke around Olivers Mount. The early 70's was a dream time in bike racing.

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 09:27:04 pm »

I used to go to Brands Hatch and watch the legends Barry Sheene, Mick Grant, rocket Ron Haslam and Kenny Roberts those were the days castrol R, hot dogs yer!

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 09:29:08 pm »

went out on my classic today first time out since last summer not true about british bikes second kick and she came into life and never missed a beat all day.

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 10:14:28 am »

Hi, Clean simple lines, it deserves to be in the dining room. nemesis

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 01:53:31 pm »

Hi, Clean simple lines, it deserves to be in the dining room.

it certainly does.........I'll give it a home, lol

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2015, 02:59:47 pm »

If it were in t'dining room a nice stainless steel drip tray
would be in order  >>:-(.
My Triton with a Tiger 110 engine leaked like a sieve
I renewed every gasket as applied by Triumph Owners
Recommended Code of Practice but there were still
Oily bits under her.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2015, 03:14:33 pm »

Back then, If it didn't drip, it wasn't British.

My favourite all time car, (wait for the laughs), Hillman Imp.
Beautifully engineered, built by shipbuilders, to ship tolerances for fit.
But, what an awesome car to drive, when all sorted, and the things the bean counters took out, where put back.
20 years ago, had a young friend, just started uni, brought himself an Imp, sorted it himself, and all the little japanese buzboxes his fellow students had, couldn't out handle it, or pull away.
And didn't matter what you did to stopped the drips, the flow may have diminished, but never stopped.
Same with A and B-series engines from BMC etc
Dad's British bikes all leaked
 :-))
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2015, 03:57:58 pm »

nope! she does'nt drip any oil just some out the breather pipe now and again  :-)

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2015, 04:19:26 pm »

THe B engine was a bullet proof motor. I owned 3 cars all of them fitted with the 1800 c c in various states of tune and none leaked oil or gave concern of any kind. the Twin su carburretors, however, were very temperamental. These engines were quite easily tuned and could give a lot more power. I always admired the Hillman Imp it was a very clever design. I drove two owned in the family  and was very impressed. I especially remember installing replacement hardy spicer? 'doughnuts' on the driveshafts. A doddle once you worked out how to do it painlessly by using a large jubilee clip to keep the things compressed till they were bolted in. %)  They did'nt last for very long.

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2015, 05:35:04 pm »

Interesting, that, P'man. Had a lot of experience tuning the B series, first in my TVR, later in a replica Land Crab and lots of MGBs. Nearly 140bhp with a 770 cam and a 45DCOE. In the Land Crab I reckoned I could follow any road car into a corner, Lotus Elan included.

As regards the Imp, I always thought it a much nicer car to drive, especially the 998 version, than the Mini.  Lower the front suspension pivot points and it handled like a dream. A friend, Tim Ewers used to race one and it was easily a match for the best 999 Cooper Ss.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2015, 03:23:55 pm »

Hi Jonty I recall that the tuning was recognised as being in 3 stages and a company called Janspeed was a well established route for tuning the B engine, at a price. As a young man, short of cash, I could only ever drool at the tuning options available at the time beyond diy tinkering.
I will never understand why BL (British Leyland) did'nt allow the manufacturers within their Group to share components. The Stromberg carbs used by Triumph were a lot better than the S U's used by MG.
I've always felt that the iconic Mazda MX5 is the modern 2 seater sports car MG/BL could have built. Mazda effectively built an MGB replacement and the rest is history. The MGB is still a personal favourite despite it's shortcomings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 21 queries.