Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New here...  (Read 1718 times)

regy53

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
New here...
« on: May 29, 2015, 08:19:53 am »

Hi all

I have always had a fascination with boats and water generally the bigger ones, warships, subs etc.

I have a fair few things i seem to waste money on and im in the pros of buying our first house.

I really quite fancy building a fast cruising warship, not a battleship more of a cruiser.

I have searched online and looked around the forums etc. Where is the best place to buy such a thing, I see a few kits being sold, i wish to buy one with a abs or plastic hull as i just wont have time for the wood....

Do the kits come complete bar a radio, motors esc etc and any other detail i want to add?

I am hoping for one around a metre long...

many thanks
Ross

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New here...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 09:51:02 am »

As far as I know, there are few kits of cruisers that are suitable candidates for RC, especially a beginner, and probably none in that size range.  This is mostly because there were a great many cruiser designs, and it isn't a big market.  Such kits as there may be will be larger, and, being small run, will likely be relatively expensive and time consuming.
Scratch building a relatively simple hull from sheet wood is really not that much slower than preparing a plastic one, have a look at - http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/34690/hms-penelope-plan-mm2059-warship-plan
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 06:01:25 pm »

Hi Ross, Check out your local Model Boat Club for any boats for sale.
It would help if you put your Town/County in your Profile/location.

Len.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 06:44:19 pm »

Hi Ross and welcome to the forum.

As Big Ada says if you don't have time to build or want something to put on the water ASAP then see the classifieds in Model Boats or Marine Modelling International magazines or local clubs.

However, if you do want to build a kit of a cruiser than I suggest the following:

For early cruisers (approx 1m long) go for Deans Marine
   Either SMS Emden (German light cruiser WW1)
             HMS Scout/Skirmisher (late Victorian cruisers)
             HMS Dido (WW2 Anti aircraft cruiser) big bigger closer to 4-5ft long
All are to 1/96 scale (the most common warship scale)

For later cruisers go for Fleetscale
They do a variety including County class, Town class, Dido class, Colony class, and a few other nations including Takao and Prinz Eugen in the smaller scale of 1/128.
In 1/96 scale they do Dido class, town class and modified Leander class. All WW2.

Remember though... They aren't like Airfix kits and require some work by the modeller to use the plans to make the superstructures. There are very few kits out there that are like their aircraft or tank cousins which don't cost a small fortune.

Radio gear is usually extra and not usually included in the price of a standard kit but these days you can pick up a decent 2.4GHz transmitter and receiver for less than £60.

All the hulls in these kits are made from Fibreglass, unless you want to convert a plastic kit from Trumpeter or Tamiya you won't find a plastic hull or ABS hull readily available in the UK.

Every kit will have a fittings pack to detail the model but it's entirely up to you how far you go and are happy with.

I like cruisers particularity Royal Navy but I do have a Emden in 1/96 scale. I have a Ceres class Anti aircraft cruiser (built using a Deans Marine hull and fittings) in 1/96 and I intend to have a 1/96 County class cruiser and an a Italian protected cruiser in the future but they will be scratch built.

Hope this helps and if in doubt ask we all here to help :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

regy53

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 10:10:20 pm »

Thanks very much for your replys.

I am not really keen to just buy a pre built or used model, infact to me half the fun is building it, i just dont want to complication of wood and stuff to sort.

Deans models is what i have seen already that seem to fit the bill but thought i would post on here to see all your thoughts.

Many thanks

Oh also, im in Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.