Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: brushless help  (Read 10593 times)

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
Re: brushless help
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2015, 12:16:08 am »

Search through the Multirotor > Motors entry in the menu.

Even though they're slower, I think most are still too fast for 12V operation, unless you're going with smaller props (say < 50mm).

For 6V operation there are a few more options a little smaller than that big 50mm SK3:

Quanum MT Series 4108 475KV Brushless Multirotor Motor Built by DYS
4108-480KV Turnigy Multistar 22 Pole Brushless Multi-Rotor Motor

Keep in mind that if your tug is twin screw, you need one ESC per motor. You can't wire two motors to a single ESC like brushed motors.

bill stafford

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2015, 09:13:41 am »

hello Calimero,
   thanks for the info , the site im looking at here,doesnt seem to have a multi rotor section, could be I missed it ??
I knew about the twin motor,twin s/c , thats why I havent rushed into brushless for tug drives, costs $$
I have ideas of a small tg , 220mmloa+100/125mm beam , I havent drawn it up yet, but those small brushless , might be a option , i was thinking of twin 380 to 25mm props , could even be done w a single motor/prop, due to small size , weight is a issue , its the little tug at Niagara falls, little maid ?? has being unkindly called a shoe horn iron !! LOL
simple hull for,w flush decks and large pusher block on the bow, but im light on details
due to work/family/farn issues, i tend to plan my future models yrs ahead, and I like to know were I`m going, other wise , i dont get there
thanks every body for all your help
bill s

inertia

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2015, 09:26:48 am »

Bill
The 380 is a racing motor (3-pole) and will run at maybe 18,000 RPM on 7.2v. You would be better to use the 385, which is a 5-pole version and much slower. I wouldn't have thought that a 220mm-long tug would be much use on anything choppier than a flat calm.
DM

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2015, 02:13:06 pm »

thanks for the info , the site im looking at here,doesnt seem to have a multi rotor section, could be I missed it ??

When on the http://www.hobbyking.com/ homepage, "Multirotors" is the third entry of the menu on the left side.

Quote from: bill stafford
I knew about the twin motor,twin s/c , thats why I havent rushed into brushless for tug drives, costs $$

On the other hand, what's the point of building a twin screw tug if you can't have independant control of the motors ?

Maneuverability is so much better with independent throttles.  I'd rather have independent throttles than a bow thruster, for example.

Quote from: bill stafford
I have ideas of a small tg , 220mmloa+100/125mm beam , I havent drawn it up yet, but those small brushless , might be a option , i was thinking of twin 380 to 25mm props , could even be done w a single motor/prop, due to small size , weight is a issue , its the little tug at Niagara falls, little maid ?? has being unkindly called a shoe horn iron !! LOL

I've designed and 3D-printed a small springer tug/push boat. 190mm x 85mm. Weight ready to sail is 180 grams. You have to build really light (and add some ballast as low as possible).

I'm running a 1700kv brushless on a single cell LiPo (3.7V) with a 20mm prop (low pitch: ~ 11mm!).

Here's a video on Youtube: Microspringer launch day.
And here's the project page on my site, with parts list, designs, build log ... 3D-printed Microspringer.

From a single 3.7V/1200mAh battery (approximately the size of a AA battery) I get around 30-40mins on run time. And each battery costs like $3 ...

I'm probably going to print a twin screw version, probably the same length but a tad wider.

rhavrane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam passionate collector
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2015, 07:47:29 pm »

Bonjour,

Tiny but mighty this micro Springer isn' it  :-))
Raphaël
Raphaëlopoulos Steam Lines UnLimited
Membre du Modele Yacht Club de Paris http://mycparis.fr/
Membre de l'Offshore Club de Paris : http://site-ocparis.wifeo.com/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rhavrane

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2015, 10:54:20 pm »

Raphael..."1700kv brushless"".........she sounds like a gas turbine engine  O0........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2015, 11:37:23 pm »

Ha ha ! It's great fun sailing her around. She whizzes all over the place. She can hide in between larger docked boats.  {-)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2015, 05:53:44 pm »

calimero...  have you considered putting the micro-springer up on shapeways?

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2015, 11:23:47 pm »

calimero...  have you considered putting the micro-springer up on shapeways?

All the files have been uploaded on Youmagine and there are instructions on my site.

You could get the files from Youmagine and upload them on shapeways. But it seems shapeways' website is a little dumb and is unable to scale down the files (they have to be scales down 1:10).

But you can probably easily find tools to scale STL files down. It's purely a mathematical operation.

bill stafford

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2015, 12:20:53 pm »

hello gents,
  inertia, i cant get 385 easily in au, but off the shelf 360/380,we don't have much choice out here , in Oz
even though the 380 can be a battery killer,big motor ,and small prop , is OK
Calimero, I LOVE  your little springer , it does sound like a turbine ,I have a friend in geelong ,who has built almost the same model , and used brushed motor ,and it also is a power house,for such a ;little model .
we do a public display, every 6 months , and the small models are fun ,as its not that big portable pond,and kids love water squites+novaltie models
due to my big hands, i normally build models to 1/32+750mm+ loa, much easier to get into for repairs, but its a challenge to build a small, dry, tug
now ,I can add brushless into these builds ,thanks guys
bill
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.