Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Worlds Biggest Shipyard......  (Read 3210 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Worlds Biggest Shipyard......
« on: May 31, 2015, 07:31:17 am »

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-32811866

This story is well worth a read. Not a lot of detail but shows how being in the right place at the right time, with a lot of hard work. Anyone can become a multi-billionaire %)

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Worlds Biggest Shipyard......
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 08:25:38 am »

Hi,
I was out at this yard 18 months ago, and all I can say is awesome capability to turn out ships of all shapes and sizes.
Regards.
Rich
Regards,

Rich

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 09:24:07 am »

Makes me wonder how much 'FOREIGN INVESTMENT' has gone into these ventures, even the Yanks are starting to notice how much of their stuff is imported from the East, whilst their industrial capability is being eroded, still, look on the bright side , it'll curb warmongering activities if yer cant make your own guns . . . .I'm all for that  O0
Bill

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 09:56:30 am »

{:-{

One do not want to pay our workers to their just value

Everything is always too expensive

We give the work, the technology to people.

These people we shall do on the mouth with our material(equipment)

It is our fault

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 12:01:21 pm »

Makes me wonder how much 'FOREIGN INVESTMENT' has gone into these ventures, even the Yanks are starting to notice how much of their stuff is imported from the East, whilst their industrial capability is being eroded, still, look on the bright side , it'll curb warmongering activities if yer cant make your own guns . . . .I'm all for that  O0
Bill
Reading the article I'd say very little direct foreign investment is involved, unless you class the purchase price of a new ship as investment. Korea is really just where Japan was about 30 years ago - you can't fault them for being successful unless there are dirty tricks involved.
And the US noticed many years ago how they were losing jobs to the East and have in fact been actively reimporting them in the last few years as the economics have changed slightly.
At risk of getting political you may remember the UK government saying after 'the crash' that they would rebalance the economy to increase our manufacturing. That has notably not happened and (unlike the US) we continue to hang our future on (mainly financial) services rather than actual production.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 12:50:23 pm »

The difference is the US is big enough to generate the capital needed for such large enterprises. The UK's is not, it could be done with huge government expenditure. But this is one government who will not spend money- especially if it means pouring it into a publicly owned enterprise.

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 04:50:35 pm »

Let's not get political (axes being sharpened already ) Do companies really BUY ships / aircraft these days ? I'd have thought leasing would be more likely & that's where any skulduggery might happen with favourable leasing terms etc . . . .ships seem to change owners at the drop of a hat.
Bill

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 09:41:12 pm »

Well, somebody owns those leased ships, and it's not the shipyards.  So yes, companies do buy the ships (and aircraft) but they might not operate them.  They leave that messy business to someone else while they count their money!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 01:26:45 pm »

Talking of leasing. I watched one of those Nat Geo aircrash investigations last week. It was about a small airlines propellor driven aircraft, the company now out of business but was based on the Isle of Man. The plane crashed and the subsequent investigation turned up that the company leased the aircraft through a third party. Who themselves had leased it from its owners a Spanish bank! Basically the company was just a ticket selling outfit but the law lets them advertise as an airline! The third party provided the aircrew who had to wear the uniforms of the IOM based outfit. However why it crashed was maintainence. Defects were reported by the aircrews, these were passed to the company, who then passed them onto the third party, who had tendered out the aircraft maintainence. The maintainence company then further sub contracted the upkeep to yet another company!!

Everything done on a shoestring.

The aircrew which consisted of the pilot and 1st officer, also acted as baggage handlers to load/unload the aircraft and while the pilit stayed with the plane while on the ground, the 1st officer acted as the check in desk operator as well. Along with this, while the plane was taxiing he had to do the cabin crew safety run through for the passengers. They were working the maximum hours aircrew could each day- not taking into account the extra time needed for the loading/unloading of baggage and ticket checking! It took the investigators nearly a year to unravel the web of false leads and dead ends before anyone could be held accountable.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 04:31:01 pm »

The aircrew which consisted of the pilot and 1st officer, also acted as baggage handlers to load/unload the aircraft and while the pilit stayed with the plane while on the ground, the 1st officer acted as the check in desk operator as well.

Around the world that is not as rare as you'd think.
I watched 'Worst Place to be a Pilot' (C4, a few months ago) where Brit pilots are flying for an Indonesian airline (Susi Air) to get experience. On most flights there's the pilot and the, er, no that's it. But although the whole thing was gobsmackingly alien to us (made Ryanair look high-end) it all made perfect sense. (And to be fair I think Susi Air do look after the aircraft properly, though as they mostly only have one engine you really can't cut corners there  :embarrassed:  )
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 22 queries.