Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Layout of components within - HUNTSMAN  (Read 10768 times)

NobbySideways

• Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Huntsman 31 Build in progress
Layout of components within - HUNTSMAN
« on: June 01, 2015, 07:07:01 pm »

Well I'm starting to stockpile components for my Huntsman build. I figure I should have everything to hand when I start to assemble so I can build it with easy component replacement in mind. I'm looking to mount the motor as far down/forward as I can to get the prop shaft angle right, I've made my educated guesses about rudder and prop sizes for my motor and boat size, but the bit I'm now struggling with is where I am going to locate the components. As I'm using one 4S Lipo (which I haven't bought yet as its the only component I fear will degrade on the shelf if my build takes a while) I wonder how I am going to get the balance right? Is there a guide somewhere on ideal layouts? Surely some items, such as Rudder Servo, receiver, are limited as to where you can place them. Then all the water cooling plumbing etc.... its starting to look a little crowded inside my little Huntsman hull.

Are there any guidelines for where we should be placing gear?

NobbySideways

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Layout of components within the hull
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 11:07:50 am »

At the risk of holding a discussion with myself I've now bought the longest propshaft I could fit neatly in the hull to keep the prop angle sensible. I suppose most other things will be dictated by the placement of the motor and the rudder servo. Lets see how we do!  :}

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Layout of components within the hull
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 12:08:36 pm »

***Topic name modified to help response***
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

NobbySideways

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Layout of components within - HUNTSMAN
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 12:09:30 pm »

Many thanks

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 01:33:57 pm »

Hi
If yours is the 31 inch kit and you are going 4S battery
I am fitting out an original 35 inch Swordsman with a D3548/4 1100kv motor with an home made alloy motor mount(no water-cooling).
Run this motor in another boat for about 3/4 hour on 4S with a 40mm x1.4 pitch prop and the motor was only warm.
ESC I use a Hobbyking car 60A with reverse(programming card required)(no water-cooling required as it has a fan mounted on the top.
So no pumps, water pipes and the ESC is only about 60mm cube and 90grams with connectors.
Boat speed will be a bit over scale if you give it full throttle.
This setup will give you good speed and run time.
Battery I use is a Zippy Compact 5600mah 4S 60C (about 700grams)(the high C will handle long full throttle current draw and the 40mm prop will not over loaded the motor, ESC or battery).
As you are building the boat move the battery weight around to get the balance of the boat about 1/3 the length of the boat from the stern.
This is a good starting balance point for all mono hulls.

NobbySideways

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 03:43:46 pm »

Thats some fantastic guidance, thanks very much.  :-))

inertia

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 04:38:32 pm »

Nobby
The critical point is the frame at the front of the cockpit. You'll have to fit the motor in front of it for obvious reasons, and the ESC should be as close to the motor as you can get it. After that, try and keep everything else as far behind that frame as you can. Typically the battery pack will be low down on top of the keel, underneath the cockpit floor, and the rudder servo will be in the bay behind that. The weight of the receiver is so small that it really doesn't matter where you fit it. If it's of interest, the prototype of the 1/8 scale Precedent Huntsman (46") had a 10cc glowplug (nitro) motor and needed a couple of pounds of lead screwed to the transom frame to get the balance right.
Dave M

NobbySideways

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 08:42:48 am »

...The critical point is the frame at the front of the cockpit. You'll have to fit the motor in front of it for obvious reasons...

Not obvious to a newbie like me.... :) I've tried to use the longest propshaft I can to keep the motor forward and low to get the prop angle as close to the line of the keel as I can. Where that places the motor I am not sure yet. As its a fibreglass hull I think there is some flexibility as to where I place the bulkheads compared to what the kit suggests but I won't know for a little while.

Thanks for all the help. This is all really useful guidance, much appreciated.

inertia

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 08:53:30 am »

Not obvious to a newbie like me.... :)
That's why you asked the question. I haven't seen a Huntsman kit for donkey's years but I gather the documentation for the GRP versions leave a lot to be desired. The position of the cockpit is pretty much fixed by the superstructure parts; the point in question is the frame which coincides with the cockpit front bulkhead which, on the full size boat, carries the instrument console and the access door to the forward cabin. You haven't said which version of the kit you have (34" or 46"). If you could do that I can give you measurements from the original plans.
BTW IMHO there's a lot of unnecessary paranoia about shaft angles. On the full-sized Huntsman the angle is 15°. If it was good enough for Alan Burnard then it's OK by me.
DM

NobbySideways

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 08:55:23 am »

I have the 34". I'm quite happy to adapt and overcome, I've heard this kit is a little variable in the quality of its documentation.

inertia

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 09:01:06 am »

That puts the cockpit front frame at about 417mm in front of the transom at its centre line. Please PM me your regular E-Mail address and I'll see what I can rustle up in the way of plans.
If you're looking for inspiration then have a look here http://www.faireyownersclub.co.uk/
DM

NobbySideways

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 09:01:44 am »

Thank you very kindly,  :-)

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 08:20:58 pm »

not sure why this has been moderated into working vessels section, the Huntsman certainly isn't a working vessel, come on mods, it will get lost here :-))

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 08:26:21 pm »

Moved here on request.

Will this do  ??

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 10:59:14 pm »

nice one ken, here's me jumping in, I suppose its the op decision? :-))

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 10:12:13 am »

We aim to please                           {-)    {-)    {-)

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 10:45:06 am »

The original faireys were twin prop and shafts and a lot of present models copy this original layout. The model kit boats assumed a single i.c. motor would be installed and plans reflected this fact with the layout. When fast electric became possible modellers had to do a diy mod of the kit plan and work out their own placement of components. The vee hull shape lends itself to twin motor installation, especially the larger kit which has lots of internal space. These kits and plans are very elderly and have not been updated since the i.c. motor era. 

inertia

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2015, 11:30:56 am »

These kits and plans are very elderly and have not been updated since the i.c. motor era.
So is the bloke who designed them! Have a little respect, young fellah-my-lad! I wouldn't mind being updated but the story doesn't end like that, does it?  <:(
DM

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2015, 12:23:29 pm »

I won't see my 65th birthday again either.  :}  The fibre glass hull versions of the kits are very good value for money and well worth a bit of patience.

inertia

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2015, 12:27:50 pm »

I won't see my 65th birthday again either.  :}
A-ha! Haven't quite got there yet - my next is my 'Sgt Pepper's birthday'........ (you're old enough to work that one out).
DM

NobbySideways

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2015, 11:11:37 pm »

The fibre glass hull versions of the kits are very good value for money and well worth a bit of patience.

It looks like the ideal model for me. For background I have done some moderate woodworking in the past, a few model RC cars but I know my way around electrics ok. I've recently rebuilt a car from the ground up and I'm enjoying the engineering aspects of this build, specifically things like getting the propshaft perfectly aligned and such. I know it won't make a massive difference to get it right to the tiniest degree but thats the sort of thing I like getting right purely for the sake of getting it right.

inertia

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2015, 11:21:20 pm »

Did you get the drawings I sent by E-Mail?
DM

NobbySideways

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2015, 11:22:50 pm »

Yes I did, I did reply, maybe its in your spam folder? I'm very grateful for them, really superb. It's what the kit could have done with in the box; superb.

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2015, 11:32:18 pm »

re "the original Faireys were twin screw" Actually the Huntress 28 was single screw & rudder, didn't the R N use them as Captains "Jolly Boats" on certain classes ?
Bill
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.