Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: GRANIT - 1/50th scale AHTS  (Read 38574 times)

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
GRANIT - 1/50th scale AHTS
« on: June 03, 2015, 09:51:38 pm »

After lots of head scratching, umpteen thousand drawings made, several breakdowns and numerous headaches I have finally finished converting some old plans for the AHTS Granit into something that can and hopefully will be made into a working model.
I came across the plans at Free Ship Plans, needed a lot of work to get the hull lines and frames all together but I have eventually finished it.
I created it in AutoCad to see how it all looks and has turned out better than I expected, never having used AutoCad before it was, to say the least, a very steep learning curve. Here are some screen shots of the 3D model I have generated, all I need now is a Kress milling motor and I can start cutting some wood.

"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
Re: GRANIT - 1/50th scale AHTS
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 10:32:56 pm »

Isn't there a local that will CNC, or waterjet cut your parts for you?
Or has the goal been to build the CNC machine from day one?  %)

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 11:24:29 pm »

CNC came first, its now an excuse to combine the two................ :-))

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 09:52:15 am »

Err I don't want to put a downer on your superb drawing of the ship but--- they are all here......

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/8982034-boat-plans.html#post8982058

Posted by Umi.

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 11:03:39 am »

Err... Brian ... that's the very plan bfgstew said he used to created his 3D model. Not woken up yet ? Need an extra cup of coffee ?  :P

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 11:47:25 am »

Sorry missed that. Must be something to do with only having 2 hours sleep last night.

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 02:57:12 pm »

No worries Brian, I know what sleep deprivation can do to a man! ok2 ok2 ok2

I attempted to make the drawings a bit more concise as the originals are a bit untidy as they have been scanned slightly differently. It was a combined process of converting those plans, using AutoCad (No experience), and building a CNC mill to cut the frames and other things with. So now I have a set of plans that are ready to go and a CNC miller to cut the wood with, hopefully a bit more accurate than a scroll saw............. :-))

Stewart

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 05:13:52 pm »

I would say CNC is a little less work than using a scroll saw, but you
have spent about about seven months working on the CAD drawings.

O0

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 10:24:42 pm »

At last my CNC is fully operational, I have converted all my drawings into Gcode and at last wood has been cut, just one piece but it is a start.

Because of the smallish footprint of my CNC (Scrappy), longer sections like the keel have had to be broken into smaller sections, these will be dovetailed together and glued to hopefully give one nice solid keel to work from. One down four more to go for the keel, but time is not on my side as I now have a five day stretch at work, so not going to get anymore done until then. Will keep you posted.

Stewart

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 04:29:42 am »

Good to see your first cut is a success..

8)

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 12:07:28 pm »

Good morning all,

I have finished cutting the keel out and am very impressed with the accuracy and quality of the cuts with minimal finishing.

Now to 'lay' the keel on my new building board and start cutting the frames out........................ :-))

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 05:46:32 pm »

Very good.  :-)) :-))

StarOffshore

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 06:55:17 pm »

Hi have just joined  (from Cyrus) and have been tracing out the same free plan that you have used with AutoCAD. I have some final bits to finish on the dwg. I know the brainstorming that is required to learn AutoCAD without lessons, I have been using it a few years now to design RC aircraft and thankfully I bought a massive tome on an old version which was extremely useful although out of date a lot was applicable to a later version though I have not got in to 3D as yet. I am contemplating making a plug first to make a FG mould. To operate it as full size it requires that port and starboard motors can be operated totally independent of each other and other channels required for rudders and thruster etc. Having visited a local boat club in UK on holiday I was advised that Robbe 14 Tx would fit the bill but on searching the web I find that Robbe are out of business - what have you planned as a controlling Tx ? I Have r TXs for flying, 2  Futaba one of which I converted to 2.4 with FRSKY and also a  Hitec 6 also converted to 2.4 which will not fit the requirements unless there is something clever I can do to them.
My drawing is currently at a length of 92.5 cms but can be scaled at the flick of a button. It will require ballasting to float a working draft and I an a bit reluctant to make it too large as the ballast weighting could cause back damage. I don't know if you have published any size details of your model prior to my joining recently. Will be watching your progress with interest.

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 05:46:58 pm »

I have managed to progress a little more on the Granit. The build board has been marked out and clamping blocks screwed in place and have now laid the keel.................(at last I hear you all cry).

I have used up my supply of plywood and have machined out half the frames and couldn't resist a little 'dry' fit to see how it looks, and am impressed with the accuracy and quality of the cuts, but time will tell, still a long way to go before this gets finished.........................(off for some more plywood).

Thanks for watching and will keep you posted.

Stewart

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 12:32:21 pm »

Not had a chance to replenish my plywood stock so I decided to start glueing the frames I have cut out onto the keel.
Started at the rear of the forecastle deck frame and am using this as the datum, so squared it all up and with 2 uprights and a couple of 2mm lengths of round bar under the framethis was glued in true and square. Left it overnight to go off then proceeded to fit the stern frame, just to give me a line of sight so to speak down the length of the hull. This was done with 2 squares and a straight edge across the frame, clamped at the correct height, squared to the keel and glued, left overnight to set. Filling in the rest of the frames was then stright forward, using the 2mm bar to set the frame height off the build board, square from the keel and a straight edge between the earlier fitted frames. Lastly the two side ribs were just glued and slotted into place, elastic bands helping the whole thing to sit hard up against it register on each frame. Now to let it all set, remove the bands and start to think about the next stage.
Thanks for watching

Stewart

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2015, 09:30:29 pm »

All ship shape & square Stew :-))....keep the images coming.........

Did you ever work in a ball bearing factory that also made largish cylindrical roller bearings?  {-) ...... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2015, 09:39:30 pm »

Was wondering if anyone would mention those!  No I didn't Derek, I did my apprenticeship at a company called W.H.Allen in Bedford and collected many odds and sods over the years and these are some of them, like you said, out of an old bearing, I have some big balls as well......................not joking %% %% %% %% %% .

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2015, 03:38:11 pm »

I have made a bit more progress, all frames are now cut and assembled, added stringers to give the hull a bit of rigidity. Bow and stern are going to have balsa blocks, only because I don't think I could form those shapes as this is my first ever build! Now to profile each frame so I can start to plank/skin the hull, going to do it using thin ply and Obechi strips, wish me luck!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for watching and any advise on planking/skinning would be gratefully received.

Stewart

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2015, 02:16:20 am »

:-)) :-)) :-))

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2015, 07:59:18 am »

BFGstew, looking really good :-))

About your CNC Miller, is it something you have at home in your workshop or is it a large machine at your place of work? I'm really interested as the cut quality looks superb. I have to cut and sand each individual frame.

When I built my first boat (Lena, here on Mayhem) I also planked it with pine strips. Some things that I was advised about and some things I learned myself were that pine cracks, splits and can leak pine resin. Don't worry though, I just sanded the cracks and splits, then filled with filler. Once my hull was smooth I gave a generous coating of fibreglass resin and sanded smooth. Make sure you coat the inside as well as the outside as any humidity will warp the wood. After doing that my Lena happily sails around in salt water.

Sorry if you already know all this but it helped me on my first build so I'm just passing it on...... U2
It'll look better when it's finished!

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2015, 11:22:21 am »

U2, my CNC is nothing special and lives in my workshop, I made it purely to see if I could make it and then realised its potential, its far from perfect but it does cut plywood well, the secret is using the correct tool and feedrates.

Thanks for your experiences on planking, I am trying not to panic too much, take one step at a time, listen to what others say and read as much as I can up on the subject. But I did realise I have not got the bow thruster in yet, so best do that first, otherwise my big sausage fingers will struggle to get it in that space!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for watching

Stewart

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2015, 01:14:55 pm »

A little more progress before I endevour to start planking/skinning this.

Rear deck, forecastle deck, battery floor and motor mounting plate cut and fitted. I did realise that the anchor ways will need putting in before planking, so that is going to be my next task along with the bow thruster.

Beginning to take shape and starting to look like a ship?

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2015, 03:54:31 pm »

Stewart that is really starting to look amazing mate  :-))   Looking back now at this stage in my Alpine build, I would recommend that you drill some holes through the frames to route all of the wiring through.  I wish that I had done this as it would have made my wiring routing far easier.  I wouldn't have put too much thought into it just some holes that can be used at a later stage - Keep the pics coming!

Oh and I estimate that there is about 10M of wiring in my build at the moment!!

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2015, 08:16:21 pm »

Hi Stewart

I'm really enjoying your build and please keep the photos coming. Is Santa bringing you some nice electrics?

Dave

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2015, 10:56:55 pm »

Cheers Mark for the advice, I was thinking of it when I was drawing it all up, but decided against it for some strange reason, you have got me thinking again. I will have a look at what can be done.

Dave, I shall be getting pants and socks, Santa doesn't believe in fancy stuff like that for crimbo <:( <:( <:( [size=78%]. I shall have to start designing stuff up.........or dip into the old slush fund....[/size] ok2 ok2 ok2 ok2 ok2

Cheers for watching.

Stewart
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.