Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Shannon Build  (Read 39993 times)

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Shannon Build
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2015, 05:22:13 pm »

All the handrailings are natural aluminium in colour. According to the Coxswain at Lowestoft they will never need painting and by some process or other (?) they will not oxidise or react to sea water.

It is probably anodised aluminium. You can do it at home !

Plenty of videos on Youtube and for the natural aluminium colour,  you simply miss out the dye process and move straight on to the sealing.

Flundle (Speedline Models)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2015, 05:58:41 pm »

I think your right there, it certainly looks anodised.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2015, 01:37:19 am »

Yes, you both seem right. For those that want more I went to www.aluminiumdesign.net and all the information was there. Trust this might help any that want to read up on the techniques used and the science behind it.

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2015, 08:40:52 am »

So, do we get lucky ?

Kits supplied with pre-formed aluminium sections that have then been anodised.   O0

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2015, 04:46:20 pm »

Just waiting for the rugby to start, so thought I would post another three photos from the RNLI Open Weekend of 13-04 doing a demonstration with the helmsman stating 'we don't normally do this - it's only for show!!'. Notice the poor chap hanging on the stern rail as he applied reverse thrust!! The boat is named by the youngsters' membership of the RNLI Storm Force - 'RNLB Storm Rider'.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2015, 08:35:06 pm »

I saw a video of the Shannon going full astern from full ahead. Must have carbon brakes!
The stanchion will have to be soldered up from tubing. They can't be machined, well not on my budget anyway.
I have given it lots of thought and I can't think of a better way. I'll come up with jig for the stanchions.
The big challenge is how to do the thick bits at the stern railing. I've asked Simon at the
Prop-Shop if he can lost wax cast them in brass and I'm waiting for a quote but I think this method might be too expensive. I have to try bending some tubing to that radius but I think that would be impossible. Its a tricky part to kit that is. If it was just for me then I'd pop the appropriate length in the lathe, turn the tapers and drill out the ends to accept the railing, bend it (right first time of course) and solder it up. Maybe that's the way to do it? Any ideas anyone?

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2015, 11:57:25 pm »

Well, there are in fact only four true stanchions to be made - and these and all the other 'stanchion' rails are parallel sided [no tapers here on the lower sections!]. I would make and solder them all up in aluminium. For the 'four' I would make the eight knuckles in tube, the top ones fitting to the top of the upright in a hollowed dip, with the mid knuckles being slid over to the correct height and soldered in place, then drilled through. All the other side rails would be ali rod or tube with the flanges fitted where required by the through wires / cables. They must be some of the easiest on any lifeboat [except the Solent where the knuckles are on the top and inboard on the lower knuckle]. Other railings as per normal, but then to that tricky stern one Adrian mentions! I would bend this around an inner jig [with half circular routed edges on the bottom and returning uprights, when completed cutting the jig down through the centre [wasting it] and popping it out. If two conical inserts where included in the kit, these could then be fitted in or on the ends, depending on rod or tube. I still like the idea of all the 'railings' being in ali, then sand blast them and coat them in a matt laquer. I just hope God gives me another 20 years [I'll then be eighty eight!] so I can finish one of my eleven lifeboats in the workshop AND also start a 1/12th Shannon - this has to be the most exciting lifeboat in my subjective opinion. I think this will be a heavy topic at 'Warwick' with much talkng and many huddles!!

mk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2015, 12:41:15 am »

Nobody has said anything about the stanchion bottom plate and the taper piece that the stanchions fit into how would this be made and fixed to the plate.

John

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2015, 09:55:31 am »

Goodones morning John, you're right and maybe I was being a little selfish here as I would machine my own up in ali, as and when I decide to go ahead and build one. However, the way I would do this is make an insertion on the bottom of the stern railings, where there only seems to be a plate [see my attached photos] and machine a flenge with a pin below [that could be inserted and glued to the deck] and a pin above that could fixed into the ali tube railing. The same would apply for the side stanchions that have a parallel socket attached to the plate on the deck, and then there is the one you have attached, which I must admit I had not noticed - different again! THis I would do on the lathe too, but if scratch building these could all be made with tubes and washers. For those being produced in kits and semi-kits, the manufacturers would have to find a solution in either resin cast ones, white metal or at a higher cost have them machined [more strength in this option]. I'll have to pay atttention to this point on the photography when I visit Dungeness later in the month - thanks for bringing this to our attention. The good thing is there are no 'spades' at the bottom sides of each stanchion to be bolted onto the toe / kicking boards. We can also see in the first two shots the thicker triangle railing area Adrian was refering to. More food for thought all round. Let's see what others say.
Keep up the good modelling. Kim

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2015, 10:00:20 am »

John, doing this in a hurry I have put 'ones' in the opening comment, sorry. Also having looked at my photos I can now see that the ones along the side in my shot have the circular disc with a machined straight edge along the 'fender' side [as per yours], hence the three bolts into the deck. I should have looked. Off to the Dover area now to see my old 'mucker' Alan Poole and his excellent rebuild of a Severn Class [17-09].

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2015, 11:19:16 am »

Having spoken to another MBM member on various matters I am now including a few other shots of the Shannon exterior stern helm position taken of 13-02 at Ramsgate RNLS alongside their Trent Class 14-02, hoping that it might help folk understand the RNLI plans [along with my earlier shots of 13-22 and 13-23 in build at RNLI HQ, Poole above] and their model build of this area.

mk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2015, 12:54:42 am »

Hi just a quick update on were I have got with my Shannon. Had a few problems with the water jets still not quite right but will build new ones after I have tried these out and see if they work okay. Also had problems with servo reversers and batteries now hope its all okay. Put it in the bath no leaks and trim was okay so  as soon we get a dry day will take it to the pond and try it out.

John

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2015, 10:13:46 pm »

Good evening John,
I'm up at the 'Warwick' Show and just checking my e-mails at the Farm B&B. Much talk about the Shannon [Adrian G. [Flundle] et al, including Martin - our esteemed Moderator] and your great build - you'll have to join us next year on the LBES stand!! It will give me something different to talk about when doing the commentary for those displaying their boats on the indoor pool.
Your build seems to be progressing well [although you might be thinking different, at the 'sharp end']. I think your recent photos will help a lot of fellow modellers  to decide how to go about there mechanics and electrics on those water jet units. Thanks and keep up the good work.
Kim
Canterbury Coxswain

mk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2015, 12:19:16 am »

Tried the water jets out today all seems to be okay the reverse side still needs some work doing to it. The pond next

John

mk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2015, 01:02:48 am »

On the water at last just a couple of pictures hope to show a video later. Weather was quite windy and the water  a bit choppy but it handled it very well.

John

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2015, 11:37:19 am »

Nice to see it in its element.

Well done John.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2015, 11:40:30 am »

I should say that you have done a remarkable job. A tricky hull shape to make, jet drives to sort out and the wheelhouse to make and  all in double quick time.
Congratulations!

Juergen

• Shipmate
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2015, 10:16:46 am »

Not too bad, John! ok2

Congratulations!

It's the first Shannon model I see on the water.

mk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2015, 12:27:27 am »

Hi thanks to all for the comments it took me longer than I thought it would but I am building 2.

Cheers John

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2015, 06:51:42 am »

John,
Now that just showing off........,
Both looking great, have you had time to do a video of the jet drives ? Would like to see how they preform.
Regards David

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2015, 09:48:11 am »

They look super!  Love to see the jet drives?
I guess all the little bits will be started soon. How are you going to tackle the mast?
I am soon to produce the decals sets so might able able to help you there fairly soon.
Adrian

lleksam

• Shipmate
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2015, 11:40:49 pm »

Hi i started out just making the plug for myself. If anybody wants one, I will get them made and sell them.  No price as yet as it depends on what it costs to have them made.

Cheers John

Hi
would like to know if you have any for sale yet please and the price, love jet boats and Life boats would like to build one to try and raise a little funds For the RNLI if i can

Steve

mk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2015, 11:59:47 pm »

Hi in reply as how am I going to tackle the mast have not got any idea as yet looked at the mast and went on to doing the handrails etc that is bad enough.

John

mk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2015, 07:49:02 am »

Hi lleksam sent you a personal message.

John

lleksam

• Shipmate
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2015, 12:05:07 pm »

Hi lleksam sent you a personal message.

John

replied
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 21 queries.