Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with Viper 20a Speed controller  (Read 4267 times)

westcoaster

• Full Mayhemer
Problem with Viper 20a Speed controller
« on: June 04, 2015, 12:15:57 pm »

Hello All,
Could someone please give me some advice regarding (re)setting up my viper controller.
It has not been used for some time and initially would not work at all.
I went through the process of switching on, pressing the button while red/green leds flashing and moving tx lever forward to max. the problem comes when I return it to neutral I get a red led, rather than a green one which would let me then set up reverse. So the controller will operate forwards but wont operate in reverse. However when I move the tx lever to reverse and press the set up button, the motor starts.
Am I missing something out here or is the controller faulty and fit only for scrap?

Stavros

Re: Problem with Viper 20a Speed controller
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 12:25:26 pm »

try it AGAIN and when you get a red in neutral ignore it and go straight down to the rev position....worth a try

Dave

westcoaster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 01:02:40 pm »

Thanks Dave, tried that but no,still nothing in reverse, other than the motor working when the reset button is pressed

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 01:11:07 pm »

It should be a one touch set up. you dont need to press the button at each extreme. Just once while the lights are flashing, then stick to full forwards, back to neutral briefly, then to full reverse, then back to neutral and all should be set up..
Unless you have either entered advanced set up and disabled reverse, or you have a duff unit.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 01:55:29 pm »

It should be a one touch set up. you dont need to press the button at each extreme. Just once while the lights are flashing, then stick to full forwards, back to neutral briefly, then to full reverse, then back to neutral and all should be set up..
Unless you have either entered advanced set up and disabled reverse, or you have a duff unit.

You would think !!

But more often or not you do have to reset them , I have had this across the board on 10,20, 25 amp esc, so I doubt these are all duff, they can just be tempremental

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 02:09:06 pm »

I have had the same 20amp unit in the boat in the little picture top left since 2003 and have only reset it when changing radios, so I would dispute the "more often than not". They are reliable little units with good back up if they do go wrong.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 02:19:35 pm »

I have also found these to be solid reliable units. I hate to ask the obvious, but have you asked Mtronics? They are very helpful, and have a great web page with instructions and an ask a question button.

westcoaster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 04:31:35 pm »

Thanks all for your efforts to help. I had thought that given that this unit is over 5 years old Mtronics wouldn't be able to help, but I took Chas's advice and contacted them. They have been so helpful and they are going to check it out for me. Top marks to Mtronics for service

HUNTER

• Hunter
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Is my cocoa ready yet?
    • Hunter Systems
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 08:25:17 pm »

Thanks Dave, tried that but no,still nothing in reverse, other than the motor working when the reset button is pressed
Hi, Sorry mate but your 'Reset' button is the programming buton. Each time you press it when the unit has been set and the motor is running you will be programming the unit into its next phase. ie forward only - forward with brake etc I am surprissed that no one has mentioned this. Have a look at the setting up instructions. By the way, I have been involved with the Viper ESC since 1992 that is 23 years when we first started selling and using them. I have heard and seen every comment about this Speed Controller that there is going by people that are in the hobby both modellers, traders and competitors.
Mtroniks will sort you out if you have a problem every time.
Regards Graham
Is my cocoa ready yet?

westcoaster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 05:50:22 pm »

Thanks, Graham, it looks as if I might be headed in the right direction, helped by your comments
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.