Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: where to buy  (Read 2343 times)

newbe7

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
where to buy
« on: June 04, 2015, 03:10:13 pm »

I've been looking at posts and these two are mentioned (evostik  or timebond ) for bonding various materials in building boats I see them listed as Uk products are there similar products in Canada I've used gorilla glue and it works well not sure if there are others.
Rick

inertia

Re: where to buy
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 04:24:20 pm »

Rick
I'm sure there must be some impact adhesives available in Canada, although they might well be called something other than EvoStik or Timebond. We are going through another EU-inspired change over here in that these adhesives have nearly all been solvent-based until recently, but now the manufacturers are being made to go to water-based instead (mainly to stop the habit of glue-sniffing, I gather). Gorilla Glue is completely different stuff.
Dave M

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 05:04:25 pm »

Almost every time I read about gluing in north America Gorilla glue gets mentioned. It must be good  :-)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 01:19:55 am »

Gorilla glue is strong, waterproof and it sands.
It behaves like a white glue, except that it foams (very slightly). It comes in dispenser bottles very similar to white glue. The big bottles are much better value. Difference in use to white glue is that you must wet the gluing surfaces before applying glue. The glue then reacts with the moisture to foam slightly. The glue will not grab for a few minutes, so that you can reposition parts if needed. You must not leave the glue exposed to air in its bottle otherwise the surface of the glue will go hard. Workable in 4 hours, fully set in 24.

An impact/contact adhesive is spread on both surfaces, is given a few minutes to semi cure. The two surfaces are then pushed together. The glue grabs instantly and you cannot reposition (with the exception of Timebond). It is more suited to gluing flat surfaces and veneering. With TimeBond you can repostion the pieces by sliding one over the other, but you only have about a minute. With impact glue putting pressure on the joint finishes the glue. It is very fast setting, almost instant. Contact/impact adhesives don't seem to sand very well.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.