Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: re wire help please  (Read 3489 times)

andyram

• Full Mayhemer
  • Derby M.B.C. Celebrating 40 years afloat 1976-2016
re wire help please
« on: June 04, 2015, 07:25:38 pm »

I have a large tug which needs a complete wiring system.It has a 12volt motor which I will run through a 30 amp ESC.The superstructure lights have brass contact points on the coaming. Also fitted are a 12 volt washer motor for the fire monitor and  a 12 volt foghorn.
I have purchased a  Action P92 distribution board  and would like independent control of each function.If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. Incidentally I have a 6 channel receiver.

Thanks. Will.

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
Re: re wire help please
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 08:40:33 pm »

I started out wiring my Loyal tender like you, with brass contact points to bring power to the lights on the superstructure.  But that got tedious, trying to keep good connections when the top was removed and re-installed.  I ended up using LED lights, which have very low current draw.  I put in a 4 cell AA battery holder in the superstructure just for the lights.  The batteries last a long time and there is almost no effect on top hamper.

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 09:40:34 pm »

Where in the Midlands are you

Dave

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 09:50:02 pm »

I started out wiring my Loyal tender like you, with brass contact points to bring power to the lights on the superstructure.  But that got tedious, trying to keep good connections when the top was removed and re-installed.  I ended up using LED lights, which have very low current draw.  I put in a 4 cell AA battery holder in the superstructure just for the lights.  The batteries last a long time and there is almost no effect on top hamper.
I don't have one, but what he said.  I spent 30 or so years polishing and tweaking bits of brass in the hope of getting good electrical contact, and that was difficult enough to do reliably on factory made gear used in dry conditions.  If the pump is in the lower part of the boat, the real problem there is to get the water to the nozzle, otherwise, since they are thirsty on current, I would suggest a line plug and socket on cords for that bit.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

andyram

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 12:56:20 am »

Where in the Midlands are you

Dave
hi dave ,I am in the Derby area.
Will.

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 09:45:30 am »

mmm Shame you arnt closer or you could pop over and I could do it for you.....I am going up to the inlaws in 4 weekends time in Twycross you could allways pop over and i could do it at theirs for you,should only take a couple of hours if you have everything 

Dave

inertia

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 10:42:54 am »

This one's on the house.
DM

andyram

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 08:37:08 pm »

Thanks for the tips and the offer of help from Stavros.Thanks to DM for the diagram which I intend to follow.I think I should be o.k with it but may be back for some pointers if I have a problem.

Thanks to you all.
Will.

andyram

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 08:58:31 pm »

Forgot to mention.I have found out the the motor is believed to be a 12volt car heater type.Could I run it on a 30 amp digital ESC or I have the chance of a 20amp Action ESC,which I would prefer if you deem it suitable.

Thanks again.
Will.

inertia

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 11:20:08 pm »

I don't know what you might mean by "digital".
Car heater motors wouldn't need a 30A ESC.
ACTion P80 is an excellent choice if the motor has five poles or less.
DM
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.