Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New! Dean's Marine HMS Humber  (Read 23740 times)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: New! Dean's Marine HMS Humber
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2015, 10:18:18 am »

Sorry for the late next post, had to work Friday night and Saturday and displayed at Wicksteed at War on the Sunday!

Part 8- the hammock lockers.

Same construction and materials as before, but this time it has engraved (laser cut) detail on the upper and side surfaces.

Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2015, 10:22:16 am »

Part 9- boat lockers

There are two boat lockers on the Humber, both are made like the hammock lockers but slightly smaller.

Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2015, 10:42:11 am »

Part 10- the wheel house and chart room

The upper 'bridge' or wheel house is made from 1mm laser cut plastic card with the windows cut out for you. Make sure you get your references correct and double check your window locations in the instructions as it is easy to get them the wrong way round like I did!

The chart room- once again check your references, this room appears to appear and disappear depending on the photos and where they were taken. The ship's plans show the chart room but trial runs from the ship's builders appear to show nothing in place, but laid up on Barrow shows something at the front, whilst in later pictures show nothing once again, and finally when Humber went to Malta you can see a frame work which looks surprisingly like a chart room layout but not boxed in. I think it depended on where the monitor was serving at th time and weather conditions- it was probably a removeable structure but with no confirmable references I can neither confirm or deny!

Now when I first saw the kit prototype model Ron showed me a curious feature of the model- at first I thought it was a periscope but when Ron showed me the drawings and what is underneath the bridge it is now belief that its a retractable/extendable exhaust for a diesel engine. Ron expalined that it was his understanding that the diesel engine was fitted to provide electical power to the turret when the monitor was beached or in position to bombard as smoke/steam from the funnel could obscure the target or identify the monitors location. The kit provides dowel to make up the exhaust but I used brass tubes that were slightly smaller than the outside layer reducing to a 2mm tube. Thats my personnal preference.

Nick B

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2015, 05:21:24 pm »

Very nice work. Should this now be in the build log section for warships? loving it. Please keep posting. Thanks. Phil :-)) :-)) :-))

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2015, 08:25:40 pm »

Hi Nick, I had a scratch built one for a short while, which had the modified armament in mid WW1, apparently they all wore their main guns out quite quickly and some how Humber ended up with 2 x 6" mount forward and a single 6" mount aft. She was active in the Baltic sea when we batted for the white Russians in 1919, when she saw off a Russian cruiser.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2015, 08:55:05 pm »

She's coming along brilliently Nick. I like the diesel exhaust, it looks pretty good.

I look forward to see the weapons as you assemble them.
Pond weed is your enemy

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2015, 05:27:54 am »

keeping my eye on you laddie boy   O0  %)
at this rate you will have the Humber ready for the open days (see you there)

splendid job old chap..   :-))

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2015, 10:32:07 pm »

Hi everyone

sorry for the delay, since my promotion I've had to do some more courses and this last one was a killer- Air Power Test, only 20 questions and no time limit but it has taken me since last thurday night to tonight to finish it! Anyone would think I'd be a military strategist instead of an aircraft techie!
Glad everyone likes my progress and the kit so far, I've started making the guns- the two 6inch, two 4.72in howitzers, four 3pdrs and six machine guns. Enjoyed them all so far but first...

Part 11- conning tower
The conning tower sits beneath the forward bridge and is made form two parts, a pre-cut-to-length plastic tube and a vacform roof section. A few swipes of the file and some careful cutting the roof section is removed from the vacform sheet. It sits snuggly on the plastic tube, you can had viewing ports if you wish.

Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2015, 11:04:15 pm »

Part 12-  the 4.72inch howitzers

These are situated on the quarter deck when built but were moved to the upper deck later on when the monitors had a 6inch gun added to the quarter deck.

The kit parts are completey new items and are a mix of white metal and resin- very little clean up required- nothing that a small file and a few swipes to tidy up seams doesn't sort out. Extra detail can be added but they do look the part.

And the first gun in place, well not glued yet! The strange item behind it is described as a training shell hoist (I think!) On the ship's drawings it shows it and describes but no idea why its there!

Nick B

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2015, 11:10:27 pm »

Why would that gun have such a high elevation?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

steve pickstock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2015, 12:36:32 am »

It is a howitzer, which are designed to fire a 'plunging' shell, with a high arc of fire rather than the more normal, shallower arc of naval guns.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2015, 10:09:41 pm »

Useful for situations especially like Gallipoli where you have to reach up into the hinterland or amongst the cliffs. They do look splendid Nick, she is a bobby dazzler that model:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2015, 02:37:07 pm »

If you build it anything like your others it will be brill, talking of other gunboats this period, how about the small paddler Kinsha bought in in 1900. I think this one would be right up your street.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2015, 01:19:06 pm »

Hi everyone

Next batch of photos, I have temporarily placed the lockers and resin fittings onto the superstructure and decks to get an impression of the finished model.

Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2015, 01:37:20 pm »

If you build it anything like your others it will be brill, talking of other gunboats this period, how about the small paddler Kinsha bought in in 1900. I think this one would be right up your street.

Hi Dodes

Glad you like her, and stop tempting me with other gunboats!!! I bought a book about Yangtse river gunboats from the 1890s to 1940 and Kinsha with her siblings make fantastic looking gunboats, might have to change some of my future plans to incorporate another gunboat! :D
Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2015, 10:51:35 am »

Part 13: Paint

The hull was cleaned and given a light sand and cleaned again before a primer layer was applied. I used Humbrol 1 Primer in an aerosol can, any blemishes were corrected before another covering layer was added.
I used Humbrol 64 Light Grey for the upper hull and Humbrol 20 Crimson for the anti fouling paint. I used Tamiya tape to mask the upper hull and create the waterline.

However before all the painting I did drill out the port holes and added a plastic card strip to represent the strengthening beam which were added to the monitors after gunnery trials proved that the hull wasn't strong enough!

I've also at this point added the bollards and fairleads from the fittings pack, these were stuck to deck capping strips to which the 11mm high 3 ball stanchions holes were drilled.

I have taken the decision to plank my decks but its hard to say whether the original vessels were planked or not but the builders model and later pictures show a planked deck so I decided she would look nice with a planked deck. I have used 2mm wide 0.5mm thick lime wood strip with graphite pencil rubbed up the sides of the plank to represent caulking. They are stuck in place with Deluxe Rocket Card glue which looks like PVA but has the properties of a slow setting 1minute superglue! See if you can see the two deck openings in the pictures!

Sorry about the pictures, I've had to change to a different hosting site, just click on the images and they will open up to full size.
Nick B

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2015, 05:14:33 pm »

Very  'Tidy' .   :-))     excellent planking.

Cheers

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2015, 01:55:05 pm »

I'm about to start planking the deck on my Iron Duke model (also 1/96 scale) and have been doing research on how people plank the decks. At the moment I'm leaning towards using black electricians insulating tape between each plank. I tried the grahite pencil method on a small test piece but couldn't really see the effect so I'm very interested on how you did this as the finish looks fine and it has the potential to be somewhat easier given I have 6.5 feet to do!

Any guidance would be appreciated

Cheers

Geoff

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2015, 10:24:58 am »

Hi Geoff

Hopefully these pictures will help show what tools and materials I use for planking and creating the caulking effect.

I think I know what might be your problem, I'm using a solid graphite pencil not a wooden pencil with a graphite lead (you seem to get a better build up of graphite). I also rub the graphite on both sides of the plank and I allow the glue 'squelch' (for a better word!) between the planks before wiping it away. I then sand with a fine grade sandpaper, or these days, a sanding foam block to get an even surface. I then use a semi gloss (or semi-matt) varnish to seal it.

It takes some time as you have to sand the plank edges, rub with graphite, glue, sand, and repeat for what feels like an eternity buts its worth it. The pencils I use are available from places like Colemans and cost about £1.50 to £2.00 each. If you look at the pencil on the right you can see how much is worn away from a new one on the left. But this is the accumulation of three models being planked so far, so they are good value for money.
Hope this helps.

Hi Kenny glad you like her so far, at the moment she is my favourite model kit built so far!!!
Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2015, 02:41:44 pm »

Hi everyone

Now that I'm back in the UK I can upload the pictures of the build so far.
The build so far...

The deck is finished being planked, superstructure painted and attached, hand rails are 11mm high 2 ball and 3 ball versions available from a Deans Marine and 0.2mm Nickel Silver is threaded through for the wire.
Some of the fittings have been relocated to the particular era I'm modelling but other than that it's per the kit.

What's left?...

Well I have to make the ship's boats and rig the davits, put the glass into the port holes, rig the mast, and add some crew.

Nick B

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2015, 03:47:04 pm »

Welcome back to Blighty Nick!   :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2015, 07:00:28 pm »

Amen Mister Mod:O) She looks a lovely model so far.
Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2015, 07:40:31 pm »

Lovely job Nick, she is looking super.  Must admit I've been thinking about you out at the sharp end with all the added pressure at 'work'.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2015, 08:17:12 pm »

Hi Guys

It's nice to be back- 2 stone lighter, 4inches missing around my waist, a lot of strange silvery stuff appearing in my hair! Probably one of the most stressful things I've done for a long time. It's taken me two weeks to get used to being back home, members of Wicksteed couldn't believe it was me at the X-mas Dinner! According to my mum I was like a zombie for the first five days.

Anyway glad the Humber has turned out so well and looking forward to the next project, some of you may have seen me sneaking a large box away from Ron Deans open weekend!
Nick B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2015, 09:58:06 pm »

Ho ho, what has Mr RAF got himself? I reckon it is an M17 kit.
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 21 queries.