Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Mayhem now also on FaceBook!  (Read 176366 times)

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Mayhem now also on FaceBook!
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2015, 12:55:55 am »

Ian,

I have indicated on the Mayhem facebook  forum topic that I will not be joining.

Simply put, there are reports/surveys that business is going away from Facebook as it has not delivered on increased sale ads etc etc. The question was also posed is facebook dead.

This is a similar situation with browsers but alt least with browsers if you use different one to other people you can still view web sites.

Facebook on the other hand is a different fish.

However that is my view but good luck with facebook .
Gunna build those other boats one day.

ian-mccaffrey

• Full Mayhemer
  • roll on mayhem at wicksteed 2016 !
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2015, 01:23:33 am »

Ian,

I have indicated on the Mayhem facebook  forum topic that I will not be joining.

Simply put, there are reports/surveys that business is going away from Facebook as it has not delivered on increased sale ads etc etc. The question was also posed is facebook dead.

This is a similar situation with browsers but alt least with browsers if you use different one to other people you can sti

Facebook on the other hand is a different fish.

However that is my view but good luck with facebook .
I'm sorry but I think your mistaken.  Facebook is massively growing. And will continue to do so.
lets just hope this one floats !!
fire at will ! ... which one is will ?

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2015, 01:31:02 am »

Its not universal in appeal.

Not me, will stick with forum which is good to hear that it will keep going  :-)) :-))

The aim is that Mayhem Website will still remain the foundation, and main port of call.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2015, 02:54:24 am »

:o...I am out after just a few hours........10+ something inward postings that I don't need...1/2 of them had no real relevance to HBM.....

Shall also be maintaining our MBM WEB site as my first choice of call :-)) ...... thankyou Martin........Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2015, 03:28:02 am »

Me too lads!   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2015, 04:30:12 am »

See here,

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article39999.html

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/data-center/is-facebook-finished/

Not looking good

Keep the forum up and running it is proven over time,  because when FB is kaput all is lost.

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2015, 08:05:13 am »

[Boring Post]
Facebook has a huge value to UK business.

As someone who deals with eCommerce every day in my work the businesses who are good at social media (including Facebook) are the ones who are doing well online.
The difference between Facebook and it's predecessors is that Facebook came at the right time in the eCommerce evolution.

One Facebook "Like" on a corporate page is worth much more to an eCommerce business than a lot of other marketing. It gets it boosts in it's Google rankings along with all the other Facebook associated public data held on you.

Even small businesses who can barely afford it are spending thousands of £ a month just to keep their standings in Search engines, and Social Media plays a huge part in that.

Everytime a company is asking you to "Like" their Facebook page it's much more than you just being able to see their posts and product updates. That like, in real money terms, can be worth more than £50 out of a Marketing budget.
[/boring post]

Facebook can only be good for Mayhem.

From a personal point it means, because I have Facebook on my phone, I can keep up to date on things while sat on the Toilet or in particularly boring meetings where looking through a forum might be frowned upon!  {-)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2015, 08:29:59 am »

I can understand why Martin would like to expand the profile of Mayhem by setting up a Facebook page and it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

However, the model boating demographic is likely to have an influence on this. A recent market survey indicated that the average age of model boaters buying the magazines is over 65 (you only have to attend events and shows to see this) and this age group are not really into social media. In fact they are not really into Forums either as the monthly circulation of the magazines far exceeds the active number of model boaters on Forums.

It is possible therefore that there will be a smallish Facebook Mayhem group of generally younger members running in parallel with the main Forum, a sort of two tier Mayhem if you like! On the other hand nothing ventured, nothing gained! I am not on Facebook myself and have no intention of signing up any time soon but I'm sure that a number of members will find it an attractive option.

Colin

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2015, 08:42:35 am »

67 years old and can not come to terms with this FB ,it's the wife's iPad if I join up will it have to be in my name,can all the world see what's going on, would I get a load of stupid junk that I don't want , if it's a group will only that group see what's going on.
David

Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

inertia

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2015, 09:14:12 am »

I'm firmly in the Grumpy camp here.
Liz uses Farcebook to keep in touch with family members, most of whom have totally lost the ability to communicate in any other way (judging by their behaviour when they come here). I don't need to "keep up to date on things " while I'm on the toilet; little in the world will change while I'm occupied in there so I can manage to control my desire to be totally informed until I've finished - even if I can control little else............... :o

I'm sure if something Very Important happens on Mayhem FB then it will migrate across to Mayhem Original eventually. Have fun, kids.

(David Doesn't Like Facebook).

DM

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2015, 09:16:09 am »

192 members already
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

boneash

• Full Mayhemer
  • In an actual war zone there are 2 types of ships,
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2015, 09:49:38 am »

Oh  that's convenient...matching another scam type telephone link number !!

I wonder how many actually know what they have really joined !

It may well end in tears!

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2015, 10:29:03 am »

It's just another avenue to explore, that's all. The more information there is out there regarding our hobby, the better IMHO. The more forums, websites and social media sites, the more we can all learn, and the more we can find out about a specific question we may need answering.

You don't have to join any of them, but I feel you may lose out in the long run if you don't. But, as the mighty DM often says...''please yourself''.
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2015, 10:56:43 am »

It may well end in tears!

Maybe but we'll always have Paris Mayhem!

It's just another avenue to explore, that's all.

Personally I find this Forum MUCH easier to navigate.... Faceache Facebbok is very popular worldwide and still growing but it is very much a "free-for-all"!

Facebook users.... measured in Billions!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2015, 11:09:30 am »

It's just another avenue to explore, that's all. The more information there is out there regarding our hobby, the better IMHO. The more forums, websites and social media sites, the more we can all learn, and the more we can find out about a specific question we may need answering.

You don't have to join any of them, but I feel you may lose out in the long run if you don't. But, as the mighty DM often says...''please yourself''.

Wrong, Wrong, wrong,you have to join to see facebook  >>:-( >>:-( <*< <*<
Try  the link it says Login, how, by joining up.

Whereas with the mayhem forum you can browse as a guest no registration/joining required.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2015, 11:17:03 am »

I may be wrong but I do not think you can categorise sections on face book as you can on the Forum, FB is a very much as it happens site, after a bit it can be very hard to find a post.
FB is another source to try to increase the interest in the hobby but ultimately the Forum in my book wins.. The Reviews section is a good move..
They all have there place on the web, the haters and the lovers of FB and Forums  but its a big playground..
Just don't to Twitter !!! <*< <*< <*<

inertia

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2015, 11:29:43 am »

This is like the Marmite (Vegemite) question, isn't it?  O0
There's no room for curate's eggs ("Good in parts") here - you either like/enjoy/depend on/are obsessed with 'social meeja'  %% - or you loathe it.  >:-o
Strewth, mate - it's not even rational!  :o
In my honest opinion Twitter is mainly for the terminally lonely and insecure (aka the Underpants and Back-bedroom Brigade).  <:(
"Oh - got to go! Harry Styles has just twittered that he's on the toilet again!"  ;D

I rest my case, m'lud.  8)

DM

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2015, 11:30:04 am »

Several "social media" I just don't get...

Twitter - impossible to follow topics. Out of date every 5 minutes! (very profitable for solicitors!)
Instagram - no typing at all required!!!
Pinterest - I don't care what photos you like on the 'tinternet!!!

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2015, 11:37:28 am »

Look this argument is simple if you don't like fb shut up and don't join. Who cares about demographics of business profiles. Many people are on fb but WILL NOT JOIN A FORUM!  This is just another  facet that can be utilised.  People on fb will join and then come on the forum or vice a versa.  Go round any club and ask how many members have heard of Mayhem!  Most don't know about it. As is pointed out the general age of a model boater is......years. ask again how many have the means or confidence to go on the Internet.  As fb is a generational media surely it's better to try and get youngsters ie under 50 to engage in modelling if all types. At shows we all complain about there being few younger members coming through the club's etc,  but how many of you as individuals get off your backsides and try to promote this hobby. And I don't mean standing around the lake on whatever day and talking to joe public.  I mean going to youth clubs schools etc and actually promoting modelling. If most clubs have 2 members doing this I would be surprised. Let mayhem have a fb page as it helps promote this hobby and STOP bitching. 
I'm sick and tired of people botching because of this or that with in the hobby. If your afraid that your precious scale boat or yacht might get damaged as there is a fast electric on the water then don't go on the water. Or better still go speak to the other person and sort out an area where both can sail at the same time on different bits of the water. At the end of the day we are all doing a hobby. Get on and live life build boats and sail. Before long we will all be dead and I guarantee  the next generation will be moaning about the same things you lot do now. They learn by example. And I'm afraid that example is us. Change or stay quiet.  Your choice.

Rant over.
anyone for tea????
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2015, 11:50:14 am »

anyone for tea????

I owe you a tea, for services to Search & Rescue.

I am registered on our new FB page, not that I use FB much, FB is a bit disjointed and not in date order.  However as a means of encouraging others to take up model boats and share their experiences it is a good move IMHO.
The main forum will remain the best medium for sharing and learning, but yes we do need to promote ourselves more widely otherwise our average age will go up by one year - every year - until we become extinct.

Bob K
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2015, 12:31:25 pm »

Look this argument is simple if you don't like fb shut up and don't join. ......

Rant over.
anyone for tea????

Bad day !!

As for staying quiet, this is a forum much as is FB so discussion should be welcome  Negative or positive not hushed away..

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2015, 12:33:23 pm »

Klunk,

Good rant.

Consider this.

There are quite a number of members on here for various reason will not disclose their location on their avatar.
That's fine and it is their choice but you are aware that should such a person post a photo on FB then all the information is available to all, such as when the photo was taken, where, such as in your backyard, including the navigational details to your home, AKA map coordinates.
By trawling fb a lot of information can be gleaned from your 'posts'.

Sounds far fetched, then ask why Law enforcement and other Govt agencies, at least here in Australia, are sounding warnings loud and clear about social media particularly fb.

Look it up.

To be forewarned is to be forearmed.

Just because everyone else is jumping of the cliff, AKA joining fb, I am certainly not going to do so.

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2015, 12:39:55 pm »

Hello,
My wife is a long time Facebook user.
She has been trying to open an account for me on Facebook and failed !!!.
So, I will be staying on the good OLD Forum !!.

John  >:-o.
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2015, 12:47:31 pm »

This is like the Marmite (Vegemite) question, isn't it?  O0

DM

Obviously Marmite  :}

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2015, 12:55:29 pm »

Blimey Klunk, enough coffee for you today mate!!!   :o

PS. Did you get my PM?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 21 queries.