Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows v10  (Read 8407 times)

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Windows v10
« on: June 17, 2015, 11:21:59 am »

I see that the icon for win 10 has popped up in my tool tray has anybody changed over and if so any probs?

LB

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Re: Win 10
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 11:39:08 am »

Did not think it was out until 29th July.?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 11:43:36 am »

It's not actually available yet except in beta form but the reviews seem to be positive. However, I suspect that the devil will be in the detail and it is possible that some drivers may need to be updated etc.

Also, I would like to know more about the updating process, although it is described as an upgrade it actually appears to entail swapping out your existing Windows operating system for the new one while the PC is running - quite a neat trick - if it works. No doubt there will be some specific memory and disk space requirements. Also, will there be a 'roll back' option if the installation goes pear shaped?

I think I will wait and see what happens to the pioneers before I dip my toe in the water. The trouble with being on the leading edge is that you are the first to hit anything!

Colin

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 11:48:43 am »

Colleague of mine did the switch this morning.

It all went a bit wrong. Ended up with Windows 10 on the HDD but the Win7 partition left in place yet not accessible at all.
Right now he's in the middle of doing a clean install of Win10 which I think is the way to go.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 11:52:55 am »

I thought the icon was to allow you to pre-install, and that Win10 would not be available to run until the launch date.

I read that the files for win 10 are (if memory serves) 4Gb, and it may take some people several days or even weeks to download. As there are millions of Windows users around the world, MS could not simultaneously download to everyone, hence the pre-installing.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 12:27:02 pm »

Thanks for the replies all of which pretty much covers my own thinking so, that being the case, I'll hang fire for a bit and let others take the hit(s).

LB

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 12:55:08 pm »

Its free to upgrade for the 1st year, I would leave it 2 months after the initial launch

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
Re: Windows v10
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 01:39:47 pm »

If you open the icon you get the opportunity to reserve an upgrade to W10. It will then download the files in the background ready for the actual change, but will not do so until you say to.
So there is little risk in saying yes at this point. I have but will not allow installation until I've seen some reports from the early adopters - at least a week or few after July 29.
Anything installed before then is a beta and not really in line with what we will get from the auto update.

Tugtower

• Full Mayhemer
  • Owner of The RCMB Forum
    • RCMB Forum
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 02:44:03 pm »

If you have a windows 7 op system.. STAY on it... as windows 7 is a much better op system then 8 ever was.. windows 10 is a massive fix to windows 8....

Everyone remember VISTA and they launched a whole new op system 6 months late to fix the bugs..(XP) same thing here...

They did try to re-brand windows 8 as 8.1 with a large patch update.. but the system is still B******Ks hence giving away windows 10 for free!!

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 04:06:34 pm »

Agree Win7 is better than Win8, the latter being a cludge to fill the gap with touch screens. However, Win 10 is more than a fix. It is a totally new OS.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 04:21:50 pm »

If you have a Windows operating system that you can work with, then keep it.
There are seldom any advantages in 'upgrading', you get nothing new, and may find major problems in other software / hardware that previously worked. Chances are it will probably take more disk space and memory, and could work slower than the O/S you have.

The constant patches and upgrades are to fix an increasing numbers of holes which hackers have taken advantage of.  It is a patchwork of ever increasing layers IMHO.

As to fixing viruses and malware, who knows better than M/S how their layered crochet works, yet there is still no anti-virus built in.  DOH !!!

HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

bj

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 04:59:28 pm »

Did not think it was out until 29th July.?

The official release date is July 29th from a source in Seattle but as to whether that is worldwide was not stated. It may probably be regionalised.
Updated Microsoft agreement terms apply from August 1, 2015

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 05:02:00 pm »

As to fixing virus's and malware, who knows better than M/S how their layered crochet works, yet there is still no anti-virus built in.  DOH !!!

Not built in, but free download.

Windows defender?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Defender
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-HK/windows7/products/features/windows-defender

Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE)?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Security_Essentials
Free for home users and small business.

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 05:09:27 pm »

I had a notification from Norton that it would still be a couple of months before their anti-virus system was fully integrated into WinX, if you use your computer for watching DVD's or downloaded films ( from YouTube , etc ) then do NOT touch WinX with a barge pole as it doesn't come with a media player and one won't be available until at least October/November

I run Win7Pro and since I don't need to use MS compatible software when this PC needs to be replaced I'm going to Linux Ubuntu and just download the free image editing , video editing software I need. Having had a PC now since the early 90's I can say that the ONLY OS that MS ever put out that was stable was Win 3.1 , infact I know of one guy still running it for his shop since he only needs it for word processing and book keeping using an early version of Excel.

Win 3.1 was OK'ish but , personally , just a clone of Commodore's Amiga OS which was still faster and more stable !!
Davie Tait,
Scotland

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 05:13:04 pm »

Yes, Linux now has a very user friendly 'desk top', and is compatible with many MS products and their clones.

Sadly, people are now writing viruses for Linux, although not as many as there are for MS. But there is AV software for Linux.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2015, 05:39:07 pm »

The recommended free DVD player according to a lot of people appears to be VLC http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.en_GB.html

Has anyone any experience of this?

Colin

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2015, 05:44:10 pm »

I use VLC and its pretty good , it plays video taken by a tablet or phone camera which the Window Media Player doesn't
Davie Tait,
Scotland

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2015, 06:33:04 pm »

I've been using the beta version of 10 for a little while. It was a simple instal, has been bug free and is excellent to use. Anyone who chooses to upgrade should have no problems. It's the most tested version ever, both by Microsoft and the public.

timgarrod

• Full Mayhemer
    • Alvaston Pirates Model Boat Club
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2015, 07:04:47 pm »

Same, been using win 10 since beta test release, tried to break it but running smooth and stable. only problem is the auto restart for updates.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2015, 10:10:00 pm »

On a just in case basis, I have my cloned operating system drives made using backup software so that any time something nasty happens, I can reinstall the entire system to when I made the copy in about 30 minutes.  Any data files are stored elsewhere, or at least copies of them.  I am a firm believer in keeping the operating system + programs separate from my files - anybody who insists on mixing them and not having copies never really wanted the data that they had gathered anyway.
A great many past reviewers of Vista and 8 reckoned that they were very good systems.  Usually they were heavily into IT, with machines in the state of the art range, rather than real people with real life budgets.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2015, 10:33:15 pm »

The recommended free DVD player according to a lot of people appears to be VLC http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.en_GB.html

Has anyone any experience of this?

Colin

I use VLC as my default player and have never had a problem with it.

Peter.

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2015, 11:07:41 pm »

A great many past reviewers of Vista and 8 reckoned that they were very good systems.  Usually they were heavily into IT, with machines in the state of the art range, rather than real people with real life budgets.

Anyone who knows anything about computers builds their own, and usually it's far cheaper to build than buy. You also get a higher spec machine building. Also, anyone who knows anything about computers doesn't have one hard drive, you have an SSD for your OS and most commonly opened files, then your larger traditional disk drive for your storage.

Colin, VLC is about the most popular third party video software going, as it has file handling capabilities far beyond that of any of the built in media players

I'm sorely tempted to try Windows 10 on a dual boot on my mac..

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2015, 11:19:12 pm »

Lots of good info here. For the record I have no intention of downloading and installing win10 until the end of the year at the earliest. I'm currently running win 7 which has and is working fine and suits my current needs. All the reports I've seen about win 10 say that it is working well with only a few small problems which will be sorted by the time the full release is issued - we will see.

I was speaking to someone the other week and he thought vista was the bees knees, well it works for him and suits his current needs. I also worked in a school when XP was established whose deputy head though it was a complete waste of time upgrading to XP as win 7 was more than suitable for most needs; perhaps it was for him but, by then virtually all the students had machines with XP installed at home. He just could not understand why we had to constantly or so it seemed, upgrade all the time and at vast cost each time we did so. I had a deal of sympathy for his point of course for it was  a big con, in my jaundice view. But That's big business especially one that has a near World wide monopoly.

LB

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2015, 08:44:27 pm »

i have two identical tablets.

one with windows 8.1 installed, one with the windows 10 preview installed.

all the after-market utilities that i have had to install on windows 8.1 to make it act "right" have not been installed on windows 10.

not because i can't, but because i don't need to.

I don't use either of them for my day to day machine, i use a mac desktop for that.   but i do have bluetooth keyboards and mice hooked up to them, as well as 20" monitors, and do windows development on the windows 8.1 tablet.   I then test it on the windows 10 tablet to make sure the programs work on both.

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
    • My build of HMS Illustrious 87 1939-1942
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2015, 03:06:43 pm »

You hear all the reason why to and why not, but really what you want is to test and then if it suits your needs you will use it.   The best way forward is to use the built in software to make an image copy of your system on a second hard drive or using some free some ware make a clone of your hard drive.  Then install your windows 10 and play with it and see if it suits.  If you do not like it you can revert to your old software be it windows 8 or 7 and you have lost nothing.  If your are really clever you could do the same with windows 10 make a clone or image copy and store away and reuse if they improve it.  All software will be legal as it it loaded to your system board and computer so the license key will work.

Point to note windows 10 will clear out some of the third party software so make sure if you need this that you have installation discs to load that software again should windows wipe it clean.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.