Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nav light switching from my Transmitter  (Read 2495 times)

Rodgearing

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Nav light switching from my Transmitter
« on: June 22, 2015, 11:04:57 am »

OK being a Billy whizz I thought I had sussed how to switch my lights on using a stripped down servo and a switch in the transmitter.  But I have got lost!!
I was going to re route the wires from a joystick to a switch (to be fitted to the TX)  so the switch when on gave me voltage from the servo electronics to drive my Nav lights but...
I know one line is signal one line +ve one line -ve  but what goes to what on the switch (to be fitted into the Tx).
Any one got a circuit diag?
Fred 

Calimero

• Full Mayhemer
    • Calimero's RC shed
Re: Nav light switching from my Transmitter
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 11:10:09 am »

Why not go with a multi-remote switch which offers 7 channels than can be turned on and off sequentially (and require a switch on/off channel on the TX end) ?

They are pretty cheap on HobbyKing and can also be found on eBay (search RCD3003 or multi remote switch).

Note 100% flexibility but good enough is you want to be able to turn nav lights and towing lights on separately, for example.

inertia

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 12:09:38 pm »

Fred
Sounds like a lot of work just to turn lights on. Any of the P43, P44 or P62 will do the job (selectively in the case of P44 and P62). That means that you can have more than one circuit on at the same time, and chose which circuits are on or off. You also don't need to change anything in your transmitter as they will operate from a joystick channel. Website here - British and best! http://www.componentshop.co.uk/action-electronics/switches
DM

Rodgearing

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 12:23:43 pm »

OK received and thanks but...
The joystick is a pot one way the pot reads 4K ohms the otherway 1K ohms. 
So does these electronic switches take that into account ie will switch when the resistance is of a value or does the swich's o/p depend on where the joystick is position wise ie one end dim lights other end max brightness?
Fred

inertia

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 01:12:27 pm »

Fred
I'm afraid that your brain is firmly stuck in the first half of the last century, m'duck!
The stick pot dictates the width of a signal pulse which is sent by the transmitter to the receiver. In all cases that signal is converted into a voltage by the circuit in the on-board switch. This voltage turns on a semiconductor (which in the ACTion units then turns on a relay for each of the outputs) and activates the lighting circuit - or whatever is connected to it.
This is all digital stuff. There are no degrees - it's either ON or OFF. Usually the Tx stick is at about 40% of full throw when the switch changes state, but this can be adjusted on some switches.
Have a read here - you might find it informative. http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/art.php 
There are two articles on electronic switches.
Dave M

Rodgearing

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 01:19:45 pm »

Ahhhh
I am with it now.  Sorry I am old school valves!!  Transistor had just come in part way thru my career.  So we are talking digital here not analogue gotcha.
Thanks
Fred

The Old Fart

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 06:45:54 am »

Use a relay controlled from a spare channel, like these,

http://greatyarmouthmbc.co.uk/advert1.html

pulse or latching selectable.

TOF
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.