Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crash for cash  (Read 5185 times)

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
Crash for cash
« on: June 23, 2015, 02:01:45 pm »

<*< Beware the crash for cash scam is still going as I witnessed this morning,I was following a Mini this morning when the car in front of it slammed his brakes on for no reason whatsoever,I stopped as I had witnessed what happened,  I got out to see what the driver had to say for himself as to why he braked for no reason but all I could get out of him was that he hurt is neck and needed an ambulance,I informed him that I recorded what had happen on my dashboard camera (I bought one a year ago after an incident with a cyclist) lo and behold he had a miracle recovery and drove off a high speed,he left a nice young lady in shock and distress not to mention the damage to her car,I got the young lady's details and have just E-mailed her a copy of the video of the incident for the insurance and police,the camera cost me £50 + memory card as far as I am concerned money well spent as there are a lot of scumbags out there,Ray. <*<
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Crash for cash
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 02:10:42 pm »

Good for you. I hope the guy's numberplate was recorded.

Colin

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 02:15:32 pm »

:-)) Yes Colin the camera got the lot,I bet as the car was an old Golf about 20 year old (H reg whats that?) it will be dumped by now,Ray. :-)) 

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 02:16:35 pm »

Did he speak with a foreign accent by any chance? It seems to be the scam of choice with east europeans.

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 02:20:28 pm »

:-)) Sounded Russian but not a young man,looked about 60 ish ,Ray :-)) 

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 03:22:51 pm »

The guy must have been insured for the scam to work now.
The victim's insurance company would not pay the scammer
if he/she was driving without insurance.
Do the scammers have a way around this.?
I know that around Bolton this is a popular pastime
but the car has a couple or more passengers to double
or triple the whiplash claims

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 04:07:01 pm »

I have a GoPro camera here (I ordered one from HobbyKing and received two) so that'll be going in my little C3 from now on. Good thinking Ray... :-))
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 06:01:24 pm »

Well done that man! These toerags are why we all get our trousers removed by insurance companies. A couple of years ago this scam was a regular occurrence in the Preston area usually with four people in the scam car, not wishing to be accused of being racist the culprits were not of UK origin and mostly from the same family. Thankfully the Police and insurers got wise and after a few Jail sentences for fraud/deception it seems to have gone away. Its just a shame the toerag didn't try it on with a lorry and end up drawing "Clouds fleecy white and Harp".
      Cheers,
           Faz. <*< <*< <*< <*< <*< <*< <*<
P.S. Got to get one of those cameras.

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 06:46:47 pm »

:-)) The only reason I got the camera was what happened to me 18 months ago, I got accused of knocking a cyclist off his bike and had a hell of a time trying to prove I didn't,the guy fell as passed him (I was going about 15mph at the time),he lay in the road moaning and groaning and the ambulance turned to attend to him,I was questioned in the back of a police car for what seems like forever and I was rather scared of want would happen to me even though I felt I had done nothing wrong,one of the ambulance men spoke to the police and that the man was blind drunk and that they were taking him to hospital for a check up,3 weeks later I got a letter from a claims firm trying to claim off me for his alleged injuries,I passed this on to the insurance legal cover team who dealt with it,after many letters going to and throw and six months later I got one saying he had dropped his claim,so now I have the camera which I use every time I drive, £50 for peace of mind as many out there will trying to claim off you for anything they fancy and at my time of life I don't need that,Ray. :-))     

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 07:20:57 pm »

I am very interested in getting one of these cameras myself.  Can I ask some questions please.

What to they look like and where do they fit.  Also interested in the length of time on one recording and if you have a clear day do you then  'rewind' the memory to start again on the next journey.  Do they start with the ignition or are they manual control.

I think they should be compulsory, as Russia has such bad drivers  (reference a TV show) nearly everyone has one in their vehicles.  Very good for  blame attachments.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 07:51:51 pm »

Besides Hobby King, the knock offs of the GoPro camera are typically listed on
Amazon.com as SJ4000 action cameras. They sell for about  £25 - £57.
You will need to buy a micro SD card to go with it, often 16mb -32mb.
They come in 1080p and 720p resolution.

They are said to shoot 720p video for 70+ minutes
 :-)

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 07:53:30 pm »

:-)) the one I got is the "E-PRANCE A434 2.7 inch screen with wide angle lens and you need a 32mb Dvr memory card,I got the lot from amazon for about £50 the lot,you can get cheaper but don't have wide angle with you really need to cover the front of car,you down load to computer and save or delete,I have had a weeks recording of driving and still had plenty of space left,it just sticks to screen like sat nav or as I do stick on cup on dash,Ray, :-))     

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 08:02:09 pm »

I have two which I bought from ebay in 2013 They were for a Luton type van I rented to drive down to spain in- the rental terms were exorbitant in the case of an accident!

Anyway they were 15 quid each, about the size of a disposable cigarette lighter and take a micro sd card. The bigger the card the longer the recording time. I had 2 16mb cards and the time for those was 20 minutes, once the card was full the camera just records its next 20 minutes over the top of the first. The premise being that if anything did happen, 20 minutes is long enough to capture it and stop the recorder. They take their power from a usb cable plugged into the 12v socket on the dashboard.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 08:28:04 pm »

All good information.    :-))

thanks guys

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 10:00:23 pm »

What to they look like and where do they fit.  Also interested in the length of time on one recording and if you have a clear day do you then  'rewind' the memory to start again on the next journey.  Do they start with the ignition or are they manual control.

Basically - any permutation you want. Google "car dvr".
You can also get ones with built in GPS location tracking, but that costs more and is of questionable value.

I have one of the E-Prance range like sparkey as they seem a reasonable compromise of quality and price. From the car forums it seems a lot of the cheap ebay ones often fail after a few hours.

Most come with a cigarette socket power connection and a sucker for the mount. Fine if you are happy to install it each time, but the time you don't bother ...! So a 'permanent' install is probably best though obviously more difficult. (My power adapter is modified, fitted behind the dash and wired to the ignition, and the DVR is fixed to the screen behind the mirror with number plate tape and the wire run behind the trims. It just works and I forget it's there most of the time.)

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 01:21:52 am »

It might be worth telling your insurance company that you have one fitted, there may be a small reduction in premium as you're helping to protect yourself.
Ther are some professional drivers that now have rear facing cameras too.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 02:23:52 am »

Yes, if you want to pay more you can get front and rear view or even 360 degree vision systems.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 07:23:10 am »

Also if you want to splash the cash there is available a rearview mirror with the camera built in, this is quite neat in that it has two cameras, one facing forward out of the car, and the other in the corner of the mirror glass to record the inside of the car as well.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 08:30:16 am »

I have a small forward facing one, about the size of a cigarette packet.
It has an SD card in it, can't remember how big.
It can record over two hours. You can adjust the resolution to record for longer (not recommended, as even the highest res is low res).
It records in bites, I have set mine for 3 minute bites, when the card is full it will record over the oldest bite on the card. There are a couple of setting for the size of the bites.

I have had it for a couple of years, and paid about 25 quid. Newer ones have much better features.

A feature is does not have, that others do, is the ability to replay on the built in screen. With mine you have to load the SD card into a computer to play back. This is perhaps something to look out for.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 09:05:44 am »

I was on the A406 (North Circular Road) a couple of days ago when a driver about 4 cars in front of me and a Police van just stopped and the car behind hit it the driver jumped out raving when he saw the Police van he jumped straight back in and drove off. Unfortunaly the Police van could not get past the stopped traffic quick enough to pull the offending car over but I'm sure he got his number.

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2015, 09:11:26 am »

Halfords sell satnav cameras which record front traffic
or http://www.crashcatcher.co.uk/

mrturbo553

• Full Mayhemer
    • North Sea winches
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 09:44:25 am »

Ken , I have one of these for work . Cheap and cheerful , inc remote and rear facing extra camera . Put a class four card in it , about a tenner extra . Plugs in the ciggie lighter ( or for the pic brigade the 12 volt aux socket  :-)) )  A little like a tin of baked beans , dos what it says on the tin !!
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=400728985969&globalID=EBAY-GB
Aid
Gone racing back in 9.5 sec
http://www.nswinches.co.uk

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2015, 11:49:25 am »

Another ruse is for pedestrians at traffic lights to wait until the light turns green for the driver then step into the road.  I had this happen to me 4 years ago. They stepped out in front of a cyclist who fell over then hit the motorcyclist in front of me. All caught on camera. The police had a field day as this went to court with me as a witness. I was accused of faking the video. It turned out all 4 of the pedestrians were illegal immigrants and were arrested after the trial. And the police never gave me my film back either
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2015, 01:24:35 pm »

I have 2 cheap (£11 each) cameras that I use front and rear, the front gets plugged into the lighter socket and is always running when the car is, the rear I plug into an external battery pack (good for about 6 hours) they record about 10 hours of video then start overwriting the oldest file automatically.
mine was this one - basic, cant read a numberplate unless really close, but it shows who is at fault.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-HD-Car-Vehicle-Dash-Dashboard-Camera-IR-DVR-Cam-CCTV-Night-Vision-Recorder-/151721659353?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item235350cbd9
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.