Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Elvington Air Museum  (Read 4507 times)

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
Elvington Air Museum
« on: June 02, 2015, 12:18:31 pm »

Last week I visited the aircraft  Museum at Elvington near York . If you are around this part of the world it is well worth a visit. During WW2 the free French flew Halifax bombers from this site. The site was taken over by the US Air Force and the runway made longer in early 1950 as it was planned to base B36 bombers at this base but it never happened. The runway is just short of 2 miles long and is used by light aircraft, car racing,and large model flying events to name just a few. I have enclosed some pictures of my visit more to follow. 

Stan.

rob

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Elvington Air Museum
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 12:21:31 pm »

HP Victor, the mostest goodest looking aircraft ever built in this country or any other.

in my own little world

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 12:22:12 pm »

Great shots of "Lusty Lindy" there. The Victor is a hell of an aircraft, still looks futuristic Today!

Just looks like it's ready to smash your face in at the slightest wrong word - in the best possible way.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 12:47:13 pm »

those photos of the Fairey Gannet remind me of when I was a kid..........of around 12 - 13...was invited to a mates house on Boxing Day to help him build a model of one............he set me building the wings ( all balsa and tissue built) whilst he made the fuselage.

We had made a nice job of it by around 8.00pm when his young sister came into the room playing with a new tennis ball ( we were poor in those days and lived in cardboard boxes)

she threw the ball in the room and it bounced off a wall, leaving a beautiful  ball shaped dent in the fuselage of the plane as it landed...........we stood in silence as she picked her ball up and ran from the room, expecting an eruption akin to Krakatoa.

None came, my mate simply picked the plane up, scrunched it up in hes hands, quietly walked and put it in the bin and said............see you tomorrow, I'm off to bed.

Time to leave I thought.................ahhh, happy days.

dave301bounty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 02:28:30 pm »

Thanks NEIL,very interesting .

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 02:49:52 pm »

It's a great museum,
Hopefully their Halifax gets airbourne soon I know they put a lot of work into it

And that's the naughty Victor......
A few years back at the air show it was permitted to do some taxi runs up and down the runway at a wee bit extra speed.....it took off for a few moments and without the required certification  <*< <*< <*<

Can't remember what the outcome was for the pilot  %) %)

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 03:17:11 pm »

If my memory is working correctly Gingyer, it was a Pat on the back from the powers that be because he saved the aircraft from his co pilots error. Not sure what happened to the co pilot.
in my own little world

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 03:23:34 pm »

More pictures. Engine on the Halifax. Shot of the Halifax. Looking up the c 47 wing and a Dassault Mirage. and finally a nice looking Dove. More to follow.
Stan.

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 05:02:48 pm »

Another good looking aircraft. . . DH 104 Dove.
in my own little world

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 10:18:51 pm »

I was there that year Ginger , daylight under the wheels I can confirm !  The  pilot/owner had a French sounding name, cant remember it.   A  "see you Jimmy >:-o" look about it right enough.   Great aircraft,  great museum, well worth a visit.  Thanks for photos Stan :-))
..well can you land on this?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 11:03:49 pm »

That little blue plane, is that a Flying Flea?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

JIM WORNER

• Full Mayhemer
  • Not me chief : Engines
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 11:05:35 pm »

I seem to recall a rumour that the Halifax has Hastings wings?? 
Certainly as a trainee flight engineer (failed) we were told the wing design was ex Halifax and Halton.
But I don't care it still looks great.
"Vive La France Libre"
Jim W :-))

thething84

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 12:55:09 am »

I went to that aviation on  a thunder day as they call it. Basically they fire up the running aircraft and taxi them around etc. Unfortunatly they couldn't get the victor to start up. Despite them playing with it all afternoon.

Shame

James
If it ain't broke! Fix it anyway!

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 07:36:53 am »

HI Martin yes this one for you. More pictures to follow.

Stan.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 09:16:52 am »

Final group of pictures. The site seems to have a very keen group of radio hams using radio sets from a B 29 and Lancaster. The control tower is well worth a visit. I hope you have enjoyed these pictures sorry I could not take more battery failed in my camera silly me forgot to charge the battery.

Stan.

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
  • Born free, forced to work!
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 04:58:59 pm »

Does anyone know if Elvington is still an official NASA listed site for emergency landing etc?
Cheers,

-Adam-

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 05:19:58 pm »

Throckmorton Air Show this Saturday. Vulcan is booked for appearance, this is the last year it will be flying so don't miss it.

Dave.
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

alan cantwell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 07:08:13 pm »

Elvington is a great day out,   But a few facts, the halifax is a 1to 1 scale model, it will never even get its engines fired up, just as well really, the propellor pitch is the wrong way!     The wings are indeed of Halifax design, but, like the avro york, that used lancaster bits, they are off the transport version, but, its a superb build,

The runway is 3 miles long,

Its no longer an emergency Nasa landing ground, as the shuttle is no longer used, but it was indeed listed as an emergency landing ground for shuttle, that would have been fun in the dark!   No runway lights

Elvington was a halifax base for the free french, and battled with honour, there is a big hard to see depression, where a Halifax crashed on take off, the whole bomb load going up
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 23 queries.