Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heckoperm ?  (Read 2536 times)

john54

Heckoperm ?
« on: July 25, 2007, 05:38:40 pm »

Hi All
Picked up a peakasa k.d m.t.b (50in) came with a hectoperm 12v motor & e.s.c not fitted also digimax 111 radio gear (1970s?)
Before i start work on it does any body know what  performance/runtime (mid speeds) i can expect useing a 5am/hr 12v lead acid ? also would 2x batts 6v be better (for balance ) its fitted with a 45mm twin blade prop. I have never had a boat this size before so iam a bit in the dark !!
 Do hope you can help me.

Cheers
John

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Heckoperm ?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 05:47:22 pm »

Hi there,
The hectoperm is a good motor but it is not for a M.T.B.
If you look around the sites there was somebody who built
a similar boat and they might be able to help.

What I would recomend is a high rev motor.
when it comes to the batteries put them
near the back of the boat it make it easier for the boat to
get on to the plane.

hope this helps

colin

john54

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 06:52:34 pm »

Thanks
Any ideas for a more revy motor ?

kendalboatsman

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 07:10:03 pm »

Thanks
Any ideas for a more revy motor ?

Hi John,

MFA do a range of bigger faster motors about 850 size. The big 50" Perkasa model does run better under IC power, I used to have the 36" version and I used a MFA Marlin power set in that on 7.2v Nicads. There are people on here who could help you better once they see your post. I had the 4ft Aerokits crash tender that someone had put a Hectoperm in, it was best described as sedate ;D

MFA's adverts describe the Torpedo 850 as being "Ideal for large planing boats" however it does not indicate how large is "large" ???

Hope you get sorted

Clive :)

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 07:48:40 pm »

john a MFA 850 should be ok use a 55mm 2 blade prop and use a 12v 5amp batt and see it fly slight downside is the runnign time of approx 10 mins Stavros

john54

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 01:46:30 pm »

Down the lake this morning with the perkasa used lead acid 12v 7amp with the hec/perm motor.
Oh dear ! handled fine but DISMAL speed. So gents m.f.a 850 or a dark horse with g/box (re pandan)?
Got 8.4,9.6v & 12v packs the e.s.c is 30v 15amp to match hec/perm motor. Need to keep price down a bit (hol ect!!)
Dont need warpspeed got boats for that just want it to semi plane & 30min ish run time i know its a big lump (49in)
Cant use i.c (lake rules) Am i asking to much ?
Any advice will be greatfully appreciated.

Cheers

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 03:15:35 pm »

If the motor is providing enough power to shove enough water backwards quickly enough, and if the prop will allow this to happen, the boat should go.  However, thats a big heavy battery to shove around.  A member of my club had a rescue boat that wouldn't perform until he replaced the SLA battery with the same-ish voltage nicad.  Weight went down, speed increased and so did run time.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 11:24:19 am »

we have one in our club, the owner went down an unusual route and fitted some astro cobalt  electric flight motors, not cheap motors but they do the trick !

for power he used some  cyclon lead acid cells each is a bit bigger that a torch cell ( D cell )  but is only 2 volt, but he lines up 6 to make a 12 volt pack, capacity is 5 ah

the boat planes nicely... in fact when he ran it a beale park 3 years ago he was swamped when he took the boat out of the water wirth people quizzing him on the set up !

the props are small ( well for a boat of this size)  they are 2 bladed and i guess from memory about 30 - 35mm, but they rev  nicely and due to their fairly small size dont draw too much current... run times are in the region of 30  mins

the boat is as light as possible and some detailing is  changed / modified to make it lightweight but it does look the part out on the water....

but flight motors are not cheap , but maybe some of the motors inc brushless from the far east may be worth looking at ?????
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

john54

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 02:57:08 pm »

Hi Thanks for advice but alas to late.
Sold heckaperm on e*ay (vgood price!) also put perkasa on aswell fair bit of interest on that (ends sunday)
Sticking to small boats now 36in & under (Much less touble, money ,& space) for me anyway.
Again thanks for advice guys.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.