Model Boat Mayhem - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fun 4  (Read 1486 times)

JimG

  • Full Mayhemer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 625
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
  • Location: Dundee
Fun 4
« on: June 26, 2015, 10:18:01 PM »

Having read the thread on this new hull and looked at the website I decided to order one last Friday. It arrived today and this is what I received.
The outer packaging was a substantial carboard box( someone there likes prawn cocktail crisps  :} ). Inside this everything was packed inside a plastic bag closed by a drawstring. From this was removed a moulded stand and the hull deck hatch etc held together with an elastic band.
The hull was vacformed from white plastic and was a clean moulding. The deck, hatch and rear wing was moulded from a heavy orange plastic which did have some surface imperfections although these will not affect the build. The hull looks as if it was originally intended for a sub surface drive as there is a moulded section to take a prop shaft.

Jim
Logged
Dundee Model Boat club

JimG

  • Full Mayhemer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 625
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
  • Location: Dundee
Re: Fun 4
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 10:34:02 PM »

Inside the hull were the 3D printed parts, the motor, propshaft and hardware.
The printed parts are well made with only a small amount of cleaning needed. They are made from PLA and appear to have been printed with about 0.25 to 0.3 mm layers. As PLA has very few solvents I will probably need to use silicone to glue these parts into the hull.
A transom doubler will strengthen the transom and allow the rudder mount and trim tabs to be mounted with screws. The motor will mount to a base frame which also mounts the shaft and will be glued to the bottom of the hull.
Onto this is screwed a platform to hold the battery, ESC, receiver and rudder servo.
The rudder and mount are very cleanly printed and come with the rudder already mounted. This is hinged and will flip up if it hits an object. The trim tabs each have a turn fin mounted underneath, something I have not seen before, the fins will need some cleaning up as one of the edges is slightly rough.
A brushless in-runner motor is provided , with a prop shaft fitted with a nice flexicoupling. The prop and other hardware are provided in a separate bag.
Printed instructions are provided with a set of vinyl stickers.

Jim
Logged
Dundee Model Boat club

JimG

  • Full Mayhemer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 625
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
  • Location: Dundee
Re: Fun 4
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 12:28:47 PM »

Having completed the build of my new plane at the weekend it was time to assemble the Fun4. It went together so well that I didn't take photos of each stage.
The hull just needed a small amount of trimming first then the transom was drilled using the doubler as template. the shaft opening took a bit more work to make sure it fit the shaft well.
The doubler was given a coat of silicone sealant then the rudder mount and trim tabs screwed in place. Cross head self tappers are provided for this but I used socket head servo screws from Modelfixings instead. This was purely a personal choice to make it easier to fit those lower in the transom, I also used a small o-ring on each screw to help with waterproofing.
The motor and shaft were fitted to the printed base, the design of this made the correct alignment easy. The platform for the electronics was then screwed onto the base and the servo mounted to the platform. The completed structure was then glued into the hull using silicone sealant again. I used the silicone as the PLA plastic is difficult to glue using normal solvent glues. he Rx and ESC were then mounted using cable ties, I am using a Turnigy Plush 60A aircraft ESC as there is no water cooling in the boat and I already had one in stock.
The hatch was cut out of the deck and the rear wing cut from the waste plastic from the hatch. At this point I found that the orange mouldings has a protective film which was removed leaving a clean surface. The imperfections I first saw proved to be in the removeable film which had done its job. The mounts for the lid were quickly fitted, the completed deck is now ready for fitting to the hull. The instructions say to tape the deck to the hull but I will glue it in place to give a stronger joint.
The only problem I found was when connecting the servo to the rudder. A metal clevis and 2mm rod was provided to clip onto the tiller arm on the rudder. Unfortunately the holes in the tiller were too large and would have given a loose fit with a lot of slop in the linkage. I used a ball link instead this was bolted to the tiller and was a tight fit with no slop, a z bend was used on the servo end.
The assembly took a couple of hours  to this stage.

Jim
Logged
Dundee Model Boat club
Pages: [1]   Go Up