Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JIF65 (RG65) Yacht Build?  (Read 6503 times)

g7tmu

• Full Mayhemer
JIF65 (RG65) Yacht Build?
« on: May 10, 2007, 08:17:30 am »

Hi, just wondering if anyone is building the JIF65 yacht, that is featured in this months Marine Modelling International magazine?

I have made a start on mine and can put up some photo's of my build if this is of interest? My yacht sailing has been limited to an old 590 to date, so I have a bit of learning to do.

So far I have built the basic hull (no deck yet), rudder, plaster mould for the keel and a stand. The hull looked a bit rough when I first got it off the building board, but after a bit of tidying up now looks OK. All the plans were downloaded from MMI's website and printed on A4 paper and stuck together. There are lots of printed dimensions on the plans which makes this a lot easier than it sounds.

I did email 'P J Sails' who are supposed to supply parts for the JIF65 but didn't get a reply, so decided to make my own, hence the keel mould!

Victor (g7tmu)

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
Re: JIF65 (RG65) Yacht Build?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 09:09:27 am »

Hi Victor

I for one would be very interested in your build photo's

Look forward to seeing them and following the build.

Richard

g7tmu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 06:17:15 pm »

Just a couple of photos as a progress update!

Have now ordered the fin aluminium sheet etc. from Folkstone Engineering Supplies, who I have seen recommended on this Forum, although they are new to me.

Victor (g7tmu)

g7tmu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 06:18:04 pm »

Another photo!

romainpek

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 01:19:55 pm »

nice ! how did you caculate the size for the bulb ?

g7tmu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 06:05:33 pm »

The keel bulb is shown on the Jif65 plan, in both plan and side view. The weight is also given and mine came out a tiny bit overweight, so I simply drilled a couple of holes through and glued hardwood dowels in, so weight now is spot on.

I made 2 side view pieces in 1mm plywood and 1 plan view, cutting it lengthwise. Then stuck 1 half plan view upright to the centre of the side view piece of plywood. then filled in each side with soft balsa and shaped, to form 2 plugs. I varnished each plug before moulding.

Coated the plugs with Vaseline and pushed them into the plaster. Just before the plaster went fully hard, pulled out the plugs from the mould. I then coated the inside of the mould with Vaseline before pouring the lead.

Hope this is clear?

I had never made a keel before, so not sure if this is the correct method, but it worked for me! I was warned to make absolutely sure the plaster was dry before moulding, or else the lead can spit, which could be dangerous. The keel surface needed a bit of cleaning with a file, and the fin slot filed out. The lead was melted in an old saucepan, outside on a camping gas cooker. Best not melt lead indoors, as the fumes can be somewhat toxic

Victor (g7tmu)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 12:12:52 am »

Calculating a bulb can be a bit fraught. 
My favoured way was to get a container, and put lead of the required weight in, then pour in water until the container was brimming.  Pour the water into another container, retrieve the lead, put the water back into the first container.  Then make up the volume with modelling clay, preferably water resistant.  Now get rid of the water.
You now have a lump of modelling clay that can be made whatever shape you want the weight to be.  Using your chosen material, make your mould.  The lead, having the right volume,will be the intended weight.
All the usual precautions handling hot lead are vital.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

romainpek

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 12:12:12 pm »

clever way ! i guess you coud also mold only one half bulb by dividing the lead weight by 2. cast twice, and then glue the results to each other...

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 01:56:52 pm »

Thats actually what I did - less clay and less plaster - I just altered the method for those who want a conventional bulb.  Mine is a "gentlemans walking boat" rather than a racer, so the fin and bulb are not as a IOM.  The two halves are epoxied each side of the bottom of te fin, and held firmly in place by a pair of through bolts.  If I had been clever I would have pre-moulded the holes by putting dowels in the moulds, as it was I found out what horrible stuff lead is to drill.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

g7tmu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 05:03:41 pm »

Just a quick update on my Jif65 build.

Moved on a bit now, with deck on and mast & boom completed. Photo shows the mast/boom as a temporary trial fit.

Need to get the sails ordered, so I can get it finished.

Victor (g7tmu)

romainpek

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 05:40:39 am »

A beauty ! You should cut quickly some sail in anything and try it on the pond !

g7tmu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 02:58:06 pm »

Just a final note on my JIF65 yacht build. Now been sailed several times and it sails very well, even in light winds. Several other club members are building one now, so we will be racing them soon! The advantage is that they are very cheap and quick to build. I made a second hull in 4 hours, now I have a set of templates and know what I am doing.

Sails were made by Nylet, but the everything else on the boat was scratch built.

The photo was taken this morning, in very light winds.

Victor (G7TMU)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.