Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting back into model boating.  (Read 1895 times)

CaptainCube

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Getting back into model boating.
« on: June 28, 2015, 10:56:29 am »

For the last thirty-odd years I've been flying R/C fixed wing models and helicopters, and at my club a few days ago, a couple of friends said they'd taken up model boats and were sailing at the public pond at Maldon. It piqued my interest again and on visiting the pond at Maldon and chatting with the very friendly chaps there (allowed me a go on a very nice yacht, which was great fun) I thought I'd get involved again.
In my young teens and early twenties, I build several nice boats, I seem to remember Lesro and KeilKraft models kits, and I eventually completed a large Perkasa MTB, that I was surprised to find is still available today after all these years.

My question is really about model boat suppliers and kit manufacturers. For starters, I like the idea of a model that's not going to take too much time to complete, has a scale appearance (not overly bothered about subject), between two and three feet in length and is an electrically  powered model rather that a sailing boat at the moment. Not sure about budget, but say under £200.
In the aeromodelling world, scale models are available ready to fly out of the box, usually just needing radio, and I'm wondering if similar models are available in the boating world?
HobbyKing have a range of nice looking boats, but they seem to concentrate more on high performance power boats for racing, rather than something that I can potter about with, relax and enjoy looking at. My wife is also very interested in modelling and with the facilities at Maldon (toilets, refreshments etc) it's an activity she could share with me.
Any advice would be most welcome.

rob

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Getting back into model boating.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 12:20:08 pm »

Good morning captain cube, after my recent purchase of the said item. . Have a look at the Aquacraft Bristol Bay. New model has a slightly different superstructure and is called Bristol Fisherman or some such. Howes Models have it listed. Very good for a RTG model. Complete with 2.4 radio.
I'm sure this will be only the first of many suggestions.
Welcome to the fold .
in my own little world

inertia

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 12:42:38 pm »

Looks interesting, Rob, although my eyebrows were raised by the "30A brushed/brushless ESC". What can they mean?? And "stutter bump" is a new one for me, too!
Dave M

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 02:46:20 pm »

Well, stutter and bump is something I do after a trip to the local hostelry, I'm sure someone wiser than me can tell us both what that is exactly.
As to the brushed/brushless ESC . . . . . An ESC is an electric speed controller. The correct type no doubt fitted by our oriental cousins who build these things ( rather well built I must admit)
Is that of any use ?
in my own little world

CaptainCube

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 01:38:55 pm »

I've been doing my research and I think I'll settle on the Krick Police Launch. OK, it's not ready to run out of the box, but with a formed plastic hull and laser cut wooden parts, it's not going to be too much to take on & I do actually like the idea of putting it together and perhaps personalising it a bit. Seems to tick all the boxes.

It comes with a stock 400 motor & prop etc  but I don't know what sort of performance to expect from that. Not looking for anything crazy, but a decent appearance of what the full size would be capable of.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 21 queries.