Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Classic'  (Read 2453 times)

dgp1957

• Full Mayhemer
'Classic'
« on: July 25, 2007, 10:27:30 pm »

Guys, I got talking to a couple of guys at my club about tug-towing and although a few would like the idea of participating in the events, the majority of the guys in the club have models of older diesel/steam tugs with single/double screws, no korts, bow thrusters etc. Is there a class specification just now that would allow people with such models to compete against comparable tugs?
I know that once you get bitten you want to get all singing models for yourself, but there are a lot of boats just lying about at the moment  because people are a bit wary of putting up against the models that are set up specifically for tug-towing with all the mod cons?
If there is not such a class at the moment, do you think that it may be something that may be brought in at some point in the future?

BlazingPenguin

Re: 'Classic'
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 11:45:46 pm »

I believe thats what the single screw class proposed at the meeting at Mobile Marine Models place was supposed to encourage Davey.
It gets complicated when a single screw with rudder is up against a single with Kort Nozzle, or twin independant control, if we were to say 'single screw/with rudders' only the rest would spit the dummy and we can mix & match all the aforementioned types of control and have same outcome.

Having said that...its all down to skill at the sticks in my opinion and a good skipper is going to shine, whatever he uses in whatever class, John Hughes, who you went round the course with, has lovely 'classic' tug...the 'stormcock' and he loves using it despite being a whizz  with his other more modern tug.

The lads down south were very keen on attending a 'Scottish Nationals' should we have one, and I would certainly hope to support 'classics' in that. It would mean that it would be like this years nationals...held over two days for the sake of getting it all in, but well worth it in my opinion...what do you thinK?   ;D

dgp1957

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 12:46:04 am »

Sounds ideal Bill, what have you got lined up for us at the weekend, nothing too arduous  I hope ;D

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 09:44:34 am »

Its a steering & docking course Davey, but entering will give you some practice with the tug, of course you can always try it with a tow? In fact that might be an idea....we could use the same course and do an impromptu tug towing course.  ;D

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 04:37:38 pm »

Thats the link for your bow thruster repaired Davey, we will be down at the pond this evening if you want swing past and pick it up, that would let you fit it before the weekend.
Happy to leave it there for Sunday too though, if that suits you better?

dgp1957

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 05:52:16 pm »

Thanks mate,
Won't make it up tonight Bill, see you Sunday :)
I have made up a wheelhouse for Battler using plastic (not very well) what is the best thing to use as a filler when using plastic?
I heard that if you dissolve some plastic with the cement overnight you get a good filler, have you tried it?

Davy ;D

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 06:00:33 pm »

P38 car body filler is good on plastic.
Humbrol do a filler as well.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 03:50:10 pm »

Use 'Squadron Model Filler' for plastic Davey...there are two types, white & green, one finer than the other.
If you go a bit mad you can wipe back to clean plastic with a little acetone ona rag easily.
Use 'Canopy glue' for the windows too....some of the GADMAC may have some you can try first?

towtug

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 09:13:57 pm »

Hi dgp 1957,
 Yes in answer to your question, those tugs fit in the single screw team towing.
Guide lines.
 Single screw, not voith, not steerable shottle or multiple rudder. A couple of kort nozzles have sneaked in as the original vessel though of the older type was fitted with them. No bow thruster,no stern thruster, no working winch, main or gog type.
 These competitions  are held south of the wall, we have one next weekend in West Kirby combined with a single tug towing and single tug pushing day.
 They require a wider course than the modern ones laid out for team towing with all singing and dancing tugs. Generally though not exclusively two man teams compete so it means a slower though put if you have high number of competitors.
 Enjoy as always :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.