Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tribal class Frigate H.M.S. Eskimo Built on Deans Marine H.M.S. Zulu  (Read 12236 times)

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Tribal class Frigate H.M.S. Eskimo Built on Deans Marine H.M.S. Zulu
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2015, 10:06:08 pm »

Yeah pretty much  ok2  There;s a raised bit on the stern too, but I can't see anything that's supposed to go there. I'll smooth it off & leave it blank  :-))

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2015, 03:49:01 pm »

Fitted the running gear etc, & fitted the aft & upper deck for test fitting. Looking a bit more like a ship  :-))

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2015, 03:17:15 pm »

Hi all, got a bit more done this week, Fitted the decks & made the funnel superstructure. I had to make this first as all the holes were pre cut in the decks, & mostly in the wrong place. I has to remove about 1cm from the rear of the rear deck & approx 6mm from the rear of the mid deck so it would fit the funnel superstructure correctly. I also found a lot of the printed parts were poorly sized & numbered compared with the instructions, but I just made my own in a lot of places, so no drama there.
Next job drill out the port holes & have a look at making some stabilizers as I think she had them originally  :-)) [size=78%] [/size]

Yarpie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2015, 08:49:33 pm »

The recesses were marked on the hull, sort of a raised shape which I drew around with pencil to make stand out. I just used a drill & file to shape them. made the inner bits from scrap plasti card. There is no mention on these in the plans or instructions, so I guess you're either meant to leave them or  do what you fancy  :embarrassed:

Well done Dan, attention to detail. O0

Having served on two Tribals (HMS ESKIMO 1974-76 and HMS MOHAWK 1962-64 First Commission) the anchor recess (or lack of) were the first thing I noticed on my model and I wondered when you started out on your venture if you would overlook them.

I too used a Deans Marine kit of ZULU to build ESKIMO and must say that I also experienced problems with instructions, marking-out etc, etc. However, I persevered and turned out a reasonable model. But beware anoraks!! Some guy at a boat show argued black was white regarding the watertight door leading to "H" diesel generator compartment. %) He swore blind that it shouldn't have been there. (It was the only way in or out of that compartment). ok2 They all know best eh?

Love your Wasp, at 8.8 grams it shouldn't affect stability, but a word of warning, keep everything above the waterline as light as possible, there's not much margin of error along the waterline (unless you raise the boot topping by about 1 centimetre).

Good luck with your project, you seem to be forging ahead on both steam and G6 gas turbine coupled. ok2

Sandy.

Yarpie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2015, 09:05:42 pm »

...................Next job drill out the port holes & have a look at making some stabilizers as I think she had them originally  :-))

Dan, she did indeed have stabilisers. These in harbour conditions would be "housed" and at sea would be "extended" to make for a more stable gunnery platform. The order from Command on proceeding to sea would be "Extend the stabilisers" and prior to entering harbour would be "House the stabilisers".

I was on watch in the Machinery Control Room when Skipper rang down from bridge and gave the order "House the stabilisers", and I stupidly replied; "They're fine Sir ....... hows yerself?"

Immediate order "See me in my cabin when you come off watch!"

Thankfully he saw the funny side and offered me a "short". %%

So, to help you with your stabiliser issue, you could risk cutting a recess just in line below the bridge superstructure and at about bilge keel level, ensure that it is domed inboard and securely watertight and then insert a "blade" into it (similar but smaller than a rudder tip) and simulate a housed stabiliser.

But, as they're below waterline, is it worth the effort and subsequent risk to watertight integrity?

Hope this helps.

Sandy.

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2015, 04:49:36 pm »

Hi Sandy, thanks  for the advice  :-))  I've decided to give the Stabilizers a miss, {:-{  to much work  !! As you say some "Anoraks" might pick  fault, but as long as it's near enough I'm going to be happy  :-)  You'll have to put a piccy or 2 of your Eskimo up so I can see her & get some inspiration  :D  Cheers Again Dan.

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2015, 06:01:40 pm »

Got a little bit done today, drilled out the port holes, I had some small plastic port holes from Billings, so I plopped them in the holes to finish it off better, looks quite good. Also fitted a couple of bilge keels which I made from some scrap as they don't include any in the kit. all in all seems to be shaping up nicely  :embarrassed:

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2015, 09:49:16 pm »

Cracking progress Dan! Definitly looking like the prototype already.
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.