Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Brocklesby semi scratch build  (Read 222452 times)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
HMS Brocklesby semi scratch build
« on: July 07, 2015, 05:38:09 pm »

Hi all, this is meant to be a winter build but I thought I would get the hull and plans early as I'd heard that lead times for Fleetscale hulls can be lengthy when they are busy, but infact it only took 4 weeks, I got a call from Justin at Fleetscale last week to let me know the plans had been shipped and the hull would be shipped Monday/Tuesday, the plans came yesterday and the hull arrived this afternoon, I'd like to commend Fleetscale for their customer service and quality, the hull is a beauty all 49" of it, and at least I have plenty of time to source all the components at leasure, ,, %) well I might fit the odd bulkhead or maybe make the stand, %% %% Getting itchy fingers already.
Joe

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: HMS Brocklesby semi scratch build
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 08:20:03 pm »

That is a lovely smooth hull. Better than some plastic kit hulls, especially the older flashed kits.

Go at your own pace Joe, we will be with you all the way, like a toddler clinging to your leg :D

TTFN, Ian:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 09:39:21 am »

You didn't mention the scale!  I'm winding up to a Ton Class so I'll watch with interest
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Z750Jay

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 10:18:32 am »

Cool, another Hunt class build to watch evolve. Must must must get around to getting one of these. Might have to get a seg of plans off of fleetscale as it would be interesting to take them onboard and compare them to the real thing.
 I think the Brock is thd next to be re engined if the RN can find the money. The Ledbury is currently in 9 dock getting re engined - utter joy to work on if you find fiberglass very irritating !

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Brocklesby semi scratch build 1:48
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 11:30:26 am »

You didn't mention the scale!  I'm winding up to a Ton Class so I'll watch with interest

Your right I forgot the scale   it's  1:48, nice and big, I'm tending toward slightly smaller craft at larger scales these days, generally a lot easier to handle all the fittings etc. and I've found large models sail so well. :-))

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 11:36:11 pm »

Looks like a nice build Joe  :-))  Hopefully we can pace each other with our logs  {-) although I feel you'll be leaving me well behind  {:-{  1/48th a nice scale to build, good scope for plenty of detail. I built 2 of billings Calypso's in 1/48th, really enjoyed them  :-)  The hull certainly looks a cracker. I'll follow with interest, Inspiration  as they say !! Happy building Dan.

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 02:36:44 pm »

I second that with the fleetscale quality Joe. I don't think you can get any better than their products. :-))

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 12:14:44 am »

1/48 Scale ? - Lovely O0 .

With you again on this one Joe :-))

Regards,

Ray.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 10:51:53 am »

I've made a tentative start on Brocklesby, The stand was made a few weeks ago before the holidays and today the weather has turned back to what we are used to WET so seems like winter is just about with us, I marked the waterline today and did a float test on the empty hull which sat square in the water the main reason for this test was to find the optimum position for the 12v SLA 7AH battery I had marked a position where I would like it to be sited and with the battery in place just 10mm aft of where I wanted it the hull was level with the water line and 12mm high, so that should be fine, still got a lot of materials to get but it's early days.  ;)

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 12:15:04 pm »

looking forward to this all ready :-))

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
    • My build of HMS Illustrious 87 1939-1942
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 12:58:21 pm »

Fleet scale plans look the bees knees Joe,  Are they as good as they look.  Need to have a look at what they hold.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 03:38:56 pm »

Yes Paul very pleased with the plans, printed clean and crisp on 4 sheets, containing a lot of detail and most of the fittings, armament, winches etc. are shown off the boat, the Jacobin plans for Coventry were OK but I'd say these are better.  :-))

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 03:54:29 pm »

Thanks Joe.  I am looking for plans of the Ton class mine swiper from my days in Malta GC and I think you are correct 1/48 scale whould be ok for this build.  I can build her in the winter when not able to work on my monster.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 06:22:37 pm »

Paul, as far as I know Fleetscale don't have Ton class plans but you can get them in 1:48 from Jacobin for HMS Bronnington but of course will build any of them, she comes out around 980mm  :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 07:58:23 pm »

With you all the way Joe, regardless of rain shine, explosive shards of GRP and the odd swear word carefully redesigned by Martin or Kenny :-))

Pond weed is your enemy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2015, 08:07:36 pm »

My Hobbystore do a plan of HMS Iveston at 1:48  from Dave Abbott.

https://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/17092/hms-iveston-mm1452

Colin

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 09:44:28 am »

My Hobbystore do a plan of HMS Iveston at 1:48  from Dave Abbott.

https://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/17092/hms-iveston-mm1452

Colin

I've recently got those plans and can agree with Colin, they are top of the line! Clear and very detailed.  They only miss out one detail, that's the distance between the rudders and shafts.  They also show a Ton Class mine hunter configured for fisheries protection (HMS Iveston) 
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 05:14:35 pm »

I've recently got those plans and can agree with Colin, they are top of the line! Clear and very detailed.  They only miss out one detail, that's the distance between the rudders and shafts.  They also show a Ton Class mine hunter configured for fisheries protection (HMS Iveston)

Do they give the ship lines to make a wood hull if required.

Paul

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 10:57:32 am »

Do they give the ship lines to make a wood hull if required.

Paul

They gave details for plank on frame and "bread and butter" construction.  With full size frame diagrams.

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2015, 02:14:14 pm »

Thanks for that will look around also for  ton class hull and fitting in 1/48 as I have nevere worked with this scale.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2015, 09:38:43 am »

Here's a great tip for crew figures!  All you need to do is change the caps
http://www.model-making.eu/products/US-NAVY-Personnel-1942.html

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2015, 10:06:57 am »

Thanks for the link, that will be very useful when she's finished, it's so hard to get british navy figures in any scale, there is a lot of us building british ships you would think someone would produce them.  {:-{

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2015, 10:34:26 am »

Thanks for the link, that will be very useful when she's finished, it's so hard to get british navy figures in any scale, there is a lot of us building british ships you would think someone would produce them.  {:-{

I concur,  what figures are available in larger scales usually look as if they've been created by Baron Frankenstein.  Gunthwaite figures are superb but being made in white metal means lots of top weight and of course they're only available in 1/72nd scale.  Italeri's 1/35th scale crew figures are very much along the right lines but limited in use because of being 1/35th scale.
What's needed is a range of resin or injection moulded plastic figures, in a variety of scales, in the "multipose" style.  There a guy on Shapeways who's going along the right lines but being custom 3D printed means they are, at the moment, relatively expensive.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/FEZD26HB8/1-35-us-navy-sailor-dungaree-set-1?li=user-profile&optionId=56307240

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2015, 12:25:50 pm »

yes they do look good, if he did a 1:48 set it may be worth thinking about when you consider what you've already spent on the finished model, and I'm sure the cost will come down in time, think of the cost of mobile phones 20 years ago now they give them away.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2015, 08:39:49 pm »

Resin is more likely to be the best balance between intial investment and weight. Unless you can persuade a plastic manufacturer or individual that you can help sell several thousand sets of figures, plastic is too expensive a medium to consider. Pewter 1:48th scale figures should not weigh to much especially if sculpted near anatomically in proportion, unlike many wargames figures that are designed a bit chunky for handling.

Many model boaters, like model railway enthusiasts are not bothered about how good the figures look as their main interest is the ship or locomotives/layout etc; the figures just make a model look busy.

Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 29   Go Up

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 22 queries.