Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Brocklesby semi scratch build  (Read 222449 times)

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Brocklesby semi scratch build
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2015, 09:18:10 am »

I have to disagree, poor figures can ruin the best of models.  There is so much on figure painting on the t'interweb that there really isn't an excuse for it.  The worst one I ever saw was using Airfix 1/72nd scale figures on a 1/48th scale boat.  It looked ridiculous and took away from the quality of the boat building. It would have been better not to use any figures at all!
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2015, 12:00:27 pm »

Agreed, if you can't get figures in the correct scale I think it's best not to have any, I just can't understand why royal navy figures in the popular scales in model ship building have been ignored by manufacturers. {:-{

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
    • My build of HMS Illustrious 87 1939-1942
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2015, 04:50:12 pm »

To be honest with Joe I think they have overlooked this as an item modelers would want and if you see all the ship in the museums they do not have figures on them so may be because of that they just have not bother to make any.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2015, 12:31:48 am »

It depends upon how you're depicting the vessel - yes, older vessels would have sailors all over the place but, with modern warships, almost all officers/ratings would be within the confines of the "citadel", apart from: Entering or leaving harbour, man overboard exercise, boarding party and the like - although you may see the occasional bunting "idoit" or lifebuoy ghost etc..

Personally, I prefer having my models crewed up. It's down to the individual owner / modeller really.

Agree with Joe on the subject of scale.  O0

Regards,

Ray.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2015, 04:54:30 pm »

Agree wholeheartedly on the comments regarding figures..too many models look like they have just embarked passengers from Camberwick Green or Trumpton!
Architectural figures can be obtained from the German company of Preiser in 1/100. 1/50, 1/200 etc, plus most common railway scales. Expensive but will complement a model nicely.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2015, 07:14:20 pm »

Prieser figures are good but can stand being repainted.  Most architectural and railway figures they are moulded in white and have a little colour splodged on.  If you look at people from the distance that make then appear the same size as the figures the impression is that they are darker.  Undercoating in black or dark brown then adding flesh tones and/or a splash of colour to highlight gives a much realistic effect.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2015, 09:02:03 pm »

although you may see the occasional bunting "idoit" or lifebuoy ghost etc..

Ray.

With reference to my last posting - my wording appears to have been moderated. May I take this opportunity to point out that the word I used was in no way meant to be derogatory, and I certainly would not have referred to these ratings as "idiots" .

For the benefit of anyone who didn't see the word I used before it was changed, I'll spell it out phonetically - should this cause any offence then I guess it can be moderated again.

So, it was bunting Tango.Oscar.Sierra.Sierra.Echo.Romeo. which is, as far as I'm aware, still in use in the service today.

See also:-
  From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia 
'Bunting "idoit"' or 'Bunts' is an informal term used in the Royal Navy to describe the sailors who hoist signal flags. Although dating from the period of signalling by flags,[1] it has survived as a general term for naval signallers.[2] Wireless operators may also be termed 'sparkers'.
Bunting is now a commonplace term for any small decorative flags or streamers strung on a line, but its original etymology is more specific as the worsted cloth used for flags in the Navy.
The term doesn't appear in Covey Crump, although that is a far from infallible source.[3]
Although the naval term, 'bunting "idoit"' is known across the services, and may be used as a jocular insult amongst Army signallers, its use implies that the intended is only fit for the Navy.

OK then - rant over.

...after all, this is Joe's build log.  :embarrassed:

Regards,

Ray.
(ex Sparker)

Ooops ! Just did a preview - it appears that the system changes the word. What I copied from Wikipedia has changed again to "idoit" - they could have at least got the spelling right "idiot" >>:-(

Mad Scientist

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2015, 10:01:36 pm »

No offense/offence taken by this old Signalman!

The old trades are fading away. Weird experience: Workups with HMCS Iroquois in 1993 - the 'experts' were concerned that the upper decks were 'dangerous' due to radar radiation. So, whenever the ship went to Action Stations, we Signalmen all crowded into Radio 2 and kept the Sparker from becoming lonely! - Tom

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2015, 10:20:05 pm »

we Signalmen all crowded into Radio 2 and kept the Sparker from becoming lonely! - Tom

{-) {-) {-) ....and a good time was had by all.  %%

Think I'd better start another thread though...this is Joe's build log after all.  :-X

Regards,

Ray.

steve pickstock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2015, 08:08:28 am »

Fortunately there are people with the appropriate skills using CAD packages to design appropriately sized figures and a search on Shapeways will produce figures of various sizes.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2015, 04:28:50 pm »

{-) {-) {-) ....and a good time was had by all.  %%

Think I'd better start another thread though...this is Joe's build log after all.  :-X

Regards,

Ray.

Thanks  Ray,  I don't mind it's all information and it keeps the thread ticking over while I'm getting started on "Brock" :-))

I started the bilge keels last week, but court my wife's cold so didn't feel like doing much early this week, of course it mutated into a MANCOLD which as we all know it sooo much worse, felt better yesterday so back to the keels, I've used 3mm ply and stiffened the joint with 5 brass rods in each, epoxy joint softened the joint with p38, a couple of coats each of sealer and paint and I think they will be ok, next I think I'll make up the rudders. O0

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2015, 08:11:46 pm »

Happy to see you're feeling well enough to carry on - like the way you have tackled those bilge keels.  :-))

Regards,

Ray.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2015, 04:24:21 pm »

Thanks Ray,
started the rudders today, my usual laminated styrene type should do fine, centre laminate is 1.5mm. and the outer two are 1mm. cut a slot in the centre and I used to groove the outer ones but now find it's easier to grind the shaft flat instead, I used 30min.epoxy to bond them as it would give more fiddle time, after an hour I realised this had not set, strange as I had just opened sealed packs though I have had them for some time, I did think the resin looked grainy and the hardener quite yellow, I thought about leaving it over night but it may have semi set to a rubbery stoge so I took them apart and cleaned them and re bonded them with some 5min epoxy, this time all's well. %%   

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2015, 11:34:52 pm »

That's a great way to make a rudder Joe - I'll be using that method on some of my future builds. Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best. Thanks for that.  :-))

Regards,

Ray.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2015, 02:18:20 pm »

Left rudders over night to harden the epoxy then sanded the rudders to give them a profile, the two assemblies are now ready to fit to boat, I like to extend the detailing under the water line and I think these type of rudders look more authentic than the tailor made type of a brass plate with a stock soldered to it, I'm sure they are fine it's just a personal preference.  O0

Starspider

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2015, 05:30:17 pm »

Looking good already, I will tag along if thats ok, really enjoyed the Coventry build  :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2015, 07:18:31 pm »

Welcome to the Radio Joe auditorium Starspider, there are still a few seats left!

Pond weed is your enemy

Starspider

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2015, 08:30:56 pm »

Welcome to the Radio Joe auditorium Starspider, there are still a few seats left!

Thankyou kind sir, quality always attracts followers  8)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2015, 04:22:25 pm »

Initial fit of the rudders , tacked a temporary former and packers in place to hold the rudders parallel, then held the tubes in with cryano, and then epoxy, then the bracing, I'll remove the rudders and set them aside while other work is going on, the aft decks on these Hunt Class appears quite complicated and with a mezzanine deck over the top I think it would be difficult to have access to the hull in this area so I'm attempting to get everything under the main access the motors should be at the aft of this access leaving room for a 12v 7amh sla, ESC's, Rx etc. and I'm going to use a Bowden cable for the rudders so I can site the servo just about anywhere, this works fine for the control surfaces on aircraft so I see no problems using one in a boat %%   

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2015, 07:30:30 pm »

Looks very sound to me Joe. I like the sturdy supports to stop the join between hull and tubes being broken if you suffer a sideways impact :-))

I am interested to see how the bowden cable works. This is like a bicycle brake cable Ja?
Pond weed is your enemy

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2015, 08:33:42 pm »

That's a nice way to secure the the rudder posts. I've not seen that before.  I usually fit wooden blocks down over the tubes, but your way is much nicer  (and lighter)   :-))

Cheers

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Starspider

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2015, 08:49:31 pm »

Nice work, if I am telling you how to su.ck eggs may I suggest golden rod or a Sullivan Bowden cable they are very good and put virtually no extra load on the servo.
Regards Colin

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2015, 09:09:42 pm »

Here is the DU-BRO version......'engine control flex cable'.......have never used them but the fly boys seem happy  %) ..... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2015, 10:43:23 pm »

Thanks for your interest guys, the Bowden cables I've used before have a nylon inner and outer so should be just right for a marine environment, in case of corrosion or oxidation of a metal inner, also the nylon inner is fluted to reduce friction but I'll keep any curves to a minimum, screw in a 2mm threaded tail and clevis each end and well support the outer cable over it's length and I should be able to site the servo amidships, I've used these on gliders years ago with the cable around 800mm and worked fine with a standard servo. :-)

Starspider

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2015, 10:26:58 am »

That's the type Radiojoe, you can even join them if you are building BIG ships
Sorry for teaching you to suck eggs.
Colin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 29   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.