Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: HMS Brocklesby semi scratch build  (Read 222447 times)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Brocklesby semi scratch build
« Reply #650 on: June 25, 2017, 05:04:09 pm »

Finished the Ensign staff and stern light this morning, then did another trim test, though she has been for a sail test sometime last year but the pond had just started it's annual weed infestation so it was a short affair, I knew she floated about right, went forward/astern and turned ok then her props got fouled so had to abandon that one, since then she's had a lot more fitted so I was a bit concerned about the boot topping, so I was relieved when she floated right on the bottom of the boot topping, as she almost fills the bath it's quite difficult to see if she's upright so I sight the main mast up with a vertical joint in the wall tiles with this method I could see she had a slight list to port, a further 3.5 ounces of ballast cured that, tested her bow thruster and motors/rudders etc. and all satisfactory, in fact she has a very pleasing sound in forward throttle, I noticed all the ships I've built have all had their own sound, so now waiting for a nice day and without the winds we've had here lately to do a long sea trial, I still have some items to make and fit but I don't think these will have an impact on her flotation.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #651 on: June 26, 2017, 05:07:21 pm »

Nice day today so did the sea trials, when we got to the lake as is often the case there was a stiff breeze that made a bit of chop on the water, if she had been 1:96 scale I don't think I would have risked it, but Brocklesby is quite large so we decided to carry on, as soon as she was launched the wind was pushing her side ways but once powered up it was no problem the geared motors were more than up to it and had a good scale speed at full throttle, the bow thruster worked fine though worked hard to push the bow directly into the wind, again the wind was a bit too strong to get a good smoke effect it was working well but was dissipated quickly, the rudders worked well giving a good tight turn, all in all I was very pleased with her performance given the conditions, I sailed her for an hour with no sign of the battery going down, and the wife was snapping away with the camera, I had my trusty Springer in the car but she wasn't needed. :-))

Joe

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #652 on: June 26, 2017, 06:33:02 pm »

Hi Joe,

I assume that you already know, but I noticed Brocklesby making an appearance on 'Empire of the Seas' last week.
Fraternisation at Kiel week :-))

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #653 on: June 26, 2017, 06:40:21 pm »

Thanks Tony, I'll lookout for that maybe on catch up.  :-))

Joe

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #654 on: June 26, 2017, 09:52:00 pm »

A brilliant looking model sailing on a brilliant day. It is probably one of the most realisitc models I have seen especially under the mezzanine.

It was worth every second of reading your blog to now see her all but completed Joe. It is a shame she's your last, but I respect your decision.

Pond weed is your enemy

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #655 on: June 26, 2017, 10:18:48 pm »

A brilliant looking model sailing on a brilliant day. It is probably one of the most realisitc models I have seen especially under the mezzanine.

Totally agree with Ian on this one - a beauty of a model for sure.

Ref the latest photographs:-

In 3rd place : The ship turning to Port (and capturing the giant man in the white coveralls - optical illusion of course) {-)

In 2nd place: The image of the Port quarter, giving a good view of the myriad equipment onboard.

In 1st place : The bows-on shot, purely for it's realistic image. O0

Congratulations Joe (and SWMBO).

...AND, to have sailed on trials on the same day as HMS Queen Elizabeth - what an honour !  :-)

Regards,

Ray.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #656 on: June 27, 2017, 12:27:27 pm »

Thank so much for your comments guys and your encouragement throughout the build, as I was sailing Brock I asked the wife to take a couple of photos, it wasn't till we got home and I uploaded the photos to the PC I found she had taken 49 pics, she said she was worried they may be blurred, in fact we only deleted 6 that were out of focus, the rest I was very pleased with and what a great job she did,  5 of the photos in the previous post were taken at around fifteen yards and have just been cropped,  photo No 1,  I took about 4 yards away with the boat at rest but it's certainly no better than the wife's, My favourite shot is the 5th one of photos posted with the bow wave,  well I've still got a few items to make like a couple of larger Parvanes tucked in the sweep deck so I'll keep posting till she's complete.
Once again thank you for your interest in my build of Brocklesby. :-))

Joe.

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #657 on: June 29, 2017, 08:48:19 am »

Very very nice Joe. Great looking model, and praise to your good lady on the quality of the pictures. Next up then is????

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #658 on: June 29, 2017, 09:57:08 am »

Thanks Phil, Haven't really thought much about a next build, except it won't be a large warship, Brocklesby is the only one I have now I don't sail that much but when I do Brock is very satisfying, Downsizing to a new home is still on the back burner so if we do I'm hoping we can find a berth for Brocklesby, ok2
No doubt I'll get itchy fingers and build another Springer or something of a similar size. :-))

Joe.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #659 on: July 06, 2017, 03:45:44 pm »

I have to admit at 71, getting large model ships up and down two flights of stairs was a major factor in selling all but one of my ships, and Brocklesby is still a struggle to take out for a sail, mainly the aforsaid stairs, gripping the boat with both hands picking my way down stairs did not feel safe and one slip would almost certainly result in major damage to Brocklesby and probably me also, so to make things a little easier I remembered I had a box cradle with rope handels  that I used for my first 1:96 Destroyer so I cut out the profiles to fit Brocklesby and tried her in the cradle it was a lot easier to carry by the ropes one handed so I had a free hand to stready myself with the stair banisters, the trouble was the ropes were resting against the bullwarks and railings also the top of the rope was very close the the mast, so a few alterations were called for, a little thought and a few bits of ply later I now have a working transport cradle that is alot easier to get down the stairs and the sides give the boat some protection from knocking against my legs, of course with the weight of her and the cradle, care is a must but sure feels safer than it did.  :-))

Joe

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
    • My build of HMS Illustrious 87 1939-1942
« Reply #660 on: July 06, 2017, 04:45:54 pm »

Much better for you Joe and I am sure you feel more comfortable carrying her up and down.   Every thought of having her displayed down stairs to save you going up and down.  With your wood work skills I am sure you could build a nice shelf for her to rest on.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #661 on: July 06, 2017, 06:03:54 pm »

yes Paul the thought had crossed my mind about keeping her downstairs but to be honest there really isn't a suitable place for such a large model, and of course I'm still working on her at the moment,  Maybe I need two Stannah stair lifts now there's a thought. %% %%

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #662 on: July 06, 2017, 09:01:14 pm »

How about a Stannah Boat lift/seat combination?

Pond weed is your enemy

Dreadnought

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #663 on: July 06, 2017, 09:15:11 pm »

Wow brilliant model their!! :-)) :-))
She looks very good on the water :-) :-)
Dreadnought:)

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #664 on: July 06, 2017, 10:13:06 pm »

That's a really neat solution you have come up with Joe - safer for you and much, much safer for the model. :-)) Well done.

Regards,

Ray.

littoralcombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #665 on: July 06, 2017, 11:20:19 pm »

Brilliant work Joe! Totally Brilliant!

She looks fantastic on the water (and 'Mrs Joe' is a very talented Photographer O0 ), incredibly realistic, you should be very proud of what you have achieved.
What is also worthy of a mention is the service you have performed for this Hobby in logging your progress in such a regular and precise manner on this Forum. Build logs such as this are a huge inspiration to us less talented modellers, and encourage us to get out to the Workshop and crack-on.
I have watched your build throughout and it has certainly had that effect on me. For that, I thank you!

Nige

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #666 on: July 07, 2017, 06:35:39 am »

Totally agree, cracking build thread and a credit to your meticulous workmanship Joe.

Will be up this weekend to Gosport for some lake time if you are around.

Regards,

Rich
Regards,

Rich

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #667 on: July 07, 2017, 11:35:03 am »

101,211  views

Says it all really, Joe

Well done doesn't seem enough to say, but very very well done.   :-))

Thank you for all the effort you've put into her build

Cheers

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #668 on: July 07, 2017, 07:27:02 pm »

Well all I can say is thanks a lot guys, you know what without your comments and feedback a build log would be a lonely place, so thanks again for being there and taking an interest.   :-)) :-))

Joe

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #669 on: July 07, 2017, 09:37:47 pm »

The number of views matches the effort put into the model. Well deserved Joe.
Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #670 on: July 07, 2017, 09:50:04 pm »

I have learned much in my six years building boats, most of which has come from inspiring detailed build logs such as yours Joe. I sincerely wish you all the best   :-))
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #671 on: August 03, 2017, 04:52:33 pm »

Had a few weeks break from Brock and been on a couple of holidays to Scarborough and North Wales, and now still making bits now and then, so here is my vision of the large parvanes the drawing shows she has six in three double stowage's, but I want to add as little weight as possible, so have decided to have just one separate one on each side of the sweep deck, to keep them light I'm making them out of balsa, each one is just 2.8 g. including the stowage, while looking at the stern I thought the sweep leads looked to unused and had always intended to remove some paint from the rollers, don't know if it works or not really but it done now and I kind of like it from a distance anyway.

Joe

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #672 on: August 03, 2017, 09:37:13 pm »

She has done a bit of sweeping! I should hope the crew would attack the rollers with paint as soon as an operation had ended, so I would expect to see the rollers shiney.

I like the paravanes Joe  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #673 on: August 03, 2017, 10:24:08 pm »

Thanks Ian, I saw Brocklesby once when I was in the dockyard for an exhibition,  remember seeing the stern sweep lead rollers and slippers and was stuck how shiny some of the gunmetal parts were so I've tried to simulate them.

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #674 on: August 04, 2017, 03:11:04 pm »

Parvanes fitted on board next I'll probably add detail to the mast, and figure out the two search lights I may see if I can buy these, I'll see what's available.

Joe
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.