Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RMS Olympic Suite, White Swan, Alnwick (Titanic sister ship)  (Read 1985 times)

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!

Last week I was on holiday near Alnwick.  I took the opportunity of visiting the White Swan Hotel in Alnwick 'cos I knew there was a treat at the back - one of the first class saloons of the White Star liner the Olympic.  After the ship was scrapped the hotel owner bid on auction and had the saloon reconstructed as the dining room for the hotel.

The hotel staff are very welcoming and allow you to go through and take a look at the saloon, which has all the features of the saloon, which was also identical to that on the Titanic. The ceiling, the light fittings, the stained glass windows are all from the ship.  In other parts of the hotel are staircases and other windows from the ship.  Even the front revolving door was from the RMS Olympic.

It feels very strange being in a very solid room, very much on terra firma that was once sailing the high seas on the Atlantic Ocean.  A beautiful connection with the long gone past!

If you're in Alnwick any time, go and have a coffee in the hotel and treat yourself to something glorious!  Apologies for the poor quality of my photos - taken on a mobile phone!

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: RMS Olympic Suite, White Swan, Alnwick (Titanic sister ship)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 12:27:11 am »

Hi Edmund,

I think this will be of interest to you as well: www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,31523.0.html

Regards,

Ray.

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
Re: RMS Olympic Suite, White Swan, Alnwick (Titanic sister ship)
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 12:27:59 pm »

Thanks for the link!  I saw of course the model in the Olympic Suite.  Fine it was too though difficult to photograph as it is high up and in a glass case.  But beautiful.  The log of the rebuild is really interesting. 

There is also a fine model of the Olympic in the entrance of the hotel and a lot of photos in the corridors.  Again the model is rather difficult to photograph unfortunately....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.