Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Linda Carol Moran build  (Read 24561 times)

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
Re: Linda Carol Moran build
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2015, 05:30:00 am »

You can shorten up the resistor leads, just be careful not to
over heat and burnout the resistor when soldering.
A little bit of rubberized paint, like tool dip, or liquid electrical tape should
then be enough to insulate the remaining wire.
 :-)

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2015, 10:12:14 am »

What size is the mast , I have the wires down the inside of the mast for all the lights on Fairmount Alpine. I used the wire from the coils off the hard drive from a old computer ,the enamel  on the wire is the insulation I then bought some insulation varnish from RS Componants , just run the + down the inside and solder the -to the brass near the light ,the resistor were put on a piece of variboard ,and the- tagged on to the bottom of the mast . My mast is 2mm OD ,took me about a month off and on to build and wire up . If you try this don't rush and feed the wire in easy as not to scrape off the varnish ,I just revernished the wire when it happened to me and started again , and keep testing as you go . I only had one fail and that was the anchor light and because the wire is so thin I used CA glue and then painted the mast it now looks like a cable duct running up the mast .As you will know the resistors need not be close to the lights just in the circuit .
Good luck
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

CaptTex

• Full Mayhemer
  • Too young to know, too impatient to wait.
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2015, 12:24:37 pm »

I got the lights insulated up and installed into the mast, soldered and now im waiting on the putty to dry so I can shape the "pedestals for the lights on the mast! Last night before bed I finished the glass work on the pilot house, and now that will allow me to put the finishing touches on it and touch up any paint! Thanks for the info guys really appreciate it! Work continues in the shipyard tonight :)

Tex
Built-Carol Moran 1/72 (still tweaking)

CaptTex

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2015, 04:05:36 pm »

The mast is roughly 5.5 inches long.

CaptTex

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2015, 04:53:28 pm »

Howdy folks, so quiet a bit for yall to mull over! Ive almost completed the pilot house finished the railing and prefitted it on the cabin which is almost complete but needs a couple more details. I started work on the funnel, and had a thought since she was a diesel tug maybe had aux engines so added my own touch to her. Fitted the glass to the pilot house and painted the moulding around it, a couple of touch ups and adding the stairs and railing to the pilot house she'll be ready to roll! For the mast, I did small brass tubing and cut holes in the mast, installed and soldered the wiring then proceeded to use squadron green putty to mold pedestals for the lights, once dry I sanded and shaped until I was happy then it was off to paint! Wiring will continue tonight, My charger should arrive so I might have a couple of pictures from the hull making a shakedown cruise  :-))  Hope you are all enjoying what is quickly becoming a kit bash!

Tex

CaptTex

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2015, 04:31:34 pm »

And more progress! %%  The cabin was given a final sanding, the holes for the railing fitted and the funnel support plate and hole for the life boat arm was drilled and sanded, lights have been taped off and she is ready for paint  :-))  Whilst in a fit of sheer brilliance, I forgot to fit the flag arm (correct me if I'm wrong) to the mast. So I sanded down the mast then soldered the arm and re-primed the mast, good to go now! The funnel was primed and drying, but I had an extra light from Umi, what shall I do with it? I'm gonna make an extra work light, You can see it drying in the background of the funnel picture! I wasnt happy with the life boat arm, so I cut two pieces of brass tube and soldered them together, it is also primed and ready to go. The lifeboat is pretty boring, standard out of the kit but looks nice primed up. The stairs were a trick, only 2 sets of them were supplied so you had to make the other two, and the instructions werent clear so I may have free based just a little! And just to top it all off, a couple more views of the pilot house and one more of the mast! Hope you Enjoy the pics!

Tex

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2015, 05:01:07 pm »

Just found this thread.  Going back to your problem of removing a gear from a shaft, here are a couple of gear pullers.  Better than cutting the gear off. 

http://www.micromark.com/SearchResult.aspx?deptIdFilter=0&searchPhrase=gear+pullers

Your boat is looking good.

CaptTex

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2015, 05:11:53 pm »

Thanks Dave, I actually took the gear off a while back it took some doing but its off now!

Tex

tugmad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2015, 05:35:25 pm »

hi enjoying your build well done, here are a couple of pictures of two Moran models Little and Large on our lake the big one weighs in at 125lbs fully ballasted

CaptTex

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2015, 05:43:00 pm »

Wow those are great! How does the carol handle being bullied by large barges and or adverse weather conditions?

Tex

CaptTex

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2015, 06:50:49 pm »

Tonight before I put on the paint, I was wanting to put in some ventilators. And as the kit supplied one does not provide any actual airflow, I want to make my own. Something modern like a square vent, but I can't find a suitable picture. Can anyone help out with this?

Tex

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2015, 09:49:00 pm »

TugMad, I admire the Big Carol Moran pushing the little one on a stiff towline.

And BigTex I would think your Little Carol would do well handling a good size, heavy barge, given she seems to have a barn door for a rudder.

tugmad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2015, 09:59:07 pm »

thats a good one that little carol pulls more than just the biggy.

CaptTex

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2015, 10:01:52 pm »

Hopefully so! Next pay check will be materials for a barge! I think she is slightly over powered, but can be kept at scale speed at the helm  ok2 . Probably the only progress tonight will be ventilators and priming, since I have to wait for that to dry completely it kinda limits me. However my charger finally arrived today so might get a run with just the hull tonight, after it cools down. Dave I'm seeing 106 here in College Station.

Tex

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2015, 10:17:16 pm »

Yeah, same here.  Too damn hot.  I wonder if our plastic hulls will survive the heated air and hot water.  My only other model boat experience was up in Washington and British Columbia where the air and water seldom exceed 70 and 50F.

I do remember my earlier days of shrimping on Galveston Bay.  On days like this you pulled in your net and the shrimp were already boiled. O0

CaptTex

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2015, 10:22:21 pm »

Hahaha there ya go! All we need is some sauce! Honestly I think we might need to coat them in lead? maybe iron? Best way to protect em! Just plugged up my battery and im already getting ansy....Do you think modern ventilators on the carol moran would look out of place, I feel like she is one of those boats who was in between new and old design?

Tex

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2015, 10:41:12 pm »

Ventilators:  As modelers always say to each other, do what you want, it's your boat.  But my 2 bits is that square ventilators may look out of place on the Carol Moran. 

My friend Joe up in BC made several vents for me from ⅜" plastic pipe els for my barge.  I hunted all over and can't find the pictures.  But they would be too big for your Carol.  Still, the traditional round goose neck vents are good.  They can be made open at both ends to allow air to circulate in the hull.

CaptTex

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2015, 10:44:24 pm »

But the piece I have is solid metal, and in such a way hollowing it out would be a nightmare! Maybe Ill just stick with this one, but I figured airflow would be a good thing, though I dont know her operating temp under heavy load or just cruising yet.

Tex

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2015, 12:23:12 am »

My Springer tug, about the same size as your Carol, has no ventilation into the hull.  It runs on a Speed 600 motor, direct drive, on two 6 volt SLA batteries in parallel.  It turns a 40 mm 3 blade prop.  The motor and the ESC get just barely warm to the touch after 1.5 hours' running time, at various speeds.

My Jim Wilder tug has a slightly larger diameter motor of unknown pedigree, which turns a bit slower in direct drive, but on a 12 VDC SLA battery.  The prop is about 2", with 3 blades.  The cabin has 2 small portholes on each side, with no "glass" in them, so there is some air circulation.  The vent arrangement on top of the cabin is arranged to mainly feed air to the smoke generator.  Again, no  noticeable heating of the motor, ESC or battery.

CaptTex

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2015, 04:25:28 pm »

So alot of stuff went into paint yesterday, finished the pilot house, finished the mast, the funnel received a second coat last night so its still drying. The lifeboat will be painted in the same scheme as the tug, so that will take a bit! Now on the the "fun" stuff....took her out to the pond yesterday with a full load of ballast and a full battery...kinda sat a little weird in the water so I adjusted and when I was happy pushed her away and gave it some throttle. Responded nicely for about 10 seconds then a high pitched whine, and no response from the prop....great I spun on the propeller...nope thank goodness the coupling just gave way! So I've been informed about a dog bone coupler and will be looking into that soon! Enclosed is a pic of her sitting dead in the water, it's a shame the break down occured we had a 16ft kayak we wanted to push around! Hope you enjoy the pics all questions are welcome!

Tex

CaptTex

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2015, 05:31:02 pm »

Got the pilot house, cabin, stack and mast assembled last night as well as the lifeboat support arm. Paint is drying at the moment but forgot to snap a pic for yall today. Until then here is another teaser of the lights, I ordered the coupling and a new brass prop today so Hopefully she will be good to go soon! Until then I've hit another road block, installed the turnigy receiver switch last night into a lipo 2s pack and then plugged it into the receiver and no good....I looked at the instructions and apparently you have to cross the negatives if you are running a 2 battery system, 1 for the lights and 1 for the receiver. The only problem is one is a Lipo and the other is a NIMH battery, I'm assuming you cant cross these? Any help would be appreciated, and as always all questions are welcome hope yall are enjoying it!

Tex

CaptTex

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2015, 12:15:22 am »

Sorry guys, im a terrible progress recorder. But she is complete, a few paint details and repainting the water line.....she was sitting too low. My dog bone and 30mm brass prop come in Tuesday, the engine actually keeps loosening in the fuel tubing when put under heavy load! I'll post pics of the wiring and explain thrthe turnigy switch if anyone would like me too! Dave she's ready to go!

Tex

Tex

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2015, 12:27:11 am »

looking' fine!   :-)) :-)) :-))

mark w

• Full Mayhemer
  • "I stick my neck out for nobody"
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2015, 12:28:20 am »

I like it.

Mark
"If she can stand it, I can too, play it"

CaptTex

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2015, 04:38:28 am »

Thanks guys the encouraging words really helped me through this, now for my next project......a tractor tug!

Tex
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.