Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Spray Paint /Dust Mask respirato  (Read 5085 times)

timg

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Spray Paint /Dust Mask respirato
« on: June 25, 2015, 11:25:23 pm »

Hi All,
Could anyone recommend a mask with replacement filters to be used when airbrushing , I will be mainly  using humbrol paints , spraying in my garage, no spray booth yet , but that's another question for another day ....
Any information good /bad is most welcome ,what make /model  do you use and are you happy with it ?

Thanks
Spud

Stavros

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 11:39:07 pm »

CyberBOB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 01:53:01 am »

Make sure it fits properly.  That is really important.  Not much point in using one if it doesn't seal around your face.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 10:48:15 am »

I use face masks every time I spray paint and have often wondered  'what they filter'  Mine is similar to the one recommended by Stavros and I also have paper ones for sawdust.

I'm assuming they stop particles reaching your lungs but what about the smell.  Is this not toxic as well ?

I would be interested in what other members use,  right down to the  'hanky across the mouth'

Cheers

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

NoNuFink

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Re: Spray Paint /Dust Mask respirato
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 12:34:59 pm »

Just in case anyone wasn't aware of it - If you've got a beard you need a mask with a positive pressure air supply - the 'ordinary' ones won't seal to your face.

2p supplied

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
Re: Re: Spray Paint /Dust Mask respirato
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 03:14:21 pm »

Just in case anyone wasn't aware of it - If you've got a beard you need a mask with a positive pressure air supply - the 'ordinary' ones won't seal to your face.

2p supplied

I suspect that the beard is as good a filter as some 'filters'  :-)

The whole dustmask thing is a tricky area as I've seen reports in the past about how ineffective they can be. Which means that using one can give you an unfounded belief that you are protected. And as Ken says, most of them don't provide fume protection.
If doing a lot of high volume spraying I'd really only be confident with an airflow type - face visor with air blown through from a filter/fan unit on your back.

For model airbrushing I use a small extract hood affair and for the rattle-can stuff like hulls I do it outside on a nice day, or if pushed, in the garage with the doors open.

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 09:06:13 pm »

Spud,or anyone else, do you smoke? if so then don't use any, why bother if you don't look after your lungs in the first place :police:

BUT if you don't then I can recommend that you do a search for a vapour mask. The paper masks only filter dust but do not filter out the solvents or chemical vapours. I use a 3M vapour mask when spraying and cant smell any of the contents of the can. I also use it when using body filler, mixing and sanding

I hope my straight talking smokers comment doesn't upset too many people but if you think about it it does make sense.     After lighting the blue touch paper U2 starts to retreat quickly...... :P
It'll look better when it's finished!

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 10:41:33 pm »

I second what Unsinkable said, I to have the 3M mask, its superb, use it for sanding as both wood and filler, dont chance the dust getting in your lungs. Stavros i belive is or was a sprayer, he knows all the tricks, seen some of his work, the Drager mask and the 3M are about the same price. Mine i got off Ebay. Screwfix if you havent got one in your area do a postage for the item

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

timg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 11:53:14 pm »

Hi All,
Thanks for the reply ,
In will pop down to screw fix , might  be able to try on  before i buy  (thanks stavros) ,
Non smoker , so no worries there
No beard....

spud

BOATSANDBIKES

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 02:18:34 pm »

I can get them cheap £15 3m vapour masks 70hours spraying time but what I get them for filters to replace are more to buy not doing to to gain best man at my wedding owns paint factory and shop I only pay cost to him prices  :}

Jerry Hill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 08:58:22 pm »

3M 4279 for me for most things, air fed if using 2K (Isocyanate based) at any point when there's open paint tins.

The 4279 has a particle pre filter backed up by carbon vapour filters, very effective and lasts a long time in hobby use. They are comfortable, fit to the face well (mine anyway), and can be serviced if needed. I just replace them every now and then though.

Air fed is the only way with isocyanates, drawn from a clean air space via a dedicated compressor, filtered and dewatered,   the positive venting is absolute. Most are now full visors these days which is safer with the eye protection, but a real pain for detail work, so I've been nurturing an old oxygen mask type for very many years now for the detail work, my shop prescription glasses do the eyes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.