Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What paint....  (Read 4169 times)

henly1234

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
What paint....
« on: July 11, 2015, 08:15:49 am »

.... Ive read a few articles regarding this subject, but need a definitive answer, atm I've been using Halfords high build primer (Spirit based?) with acrylic (water based) bought from an art shop for final coats, with no problems except that the acrylic is good for spraying but not so good for smaller brush work jobs as it is either to thin in which case it needs several coats or too thick and it leaves brush marks, also I'm using a variety of materials for my builds I.e. plasticard, wood, metal,card.

What I need is a paint that is all encompassing in fairly large containers I.e. 250ml rather than a small can that I can keep and use and decant at will, what do you chaps swear by.

I'm drawn to cellulose paints rather than acrylic but I want one type (either or), I'm aware of the process of rubbing down etc and I'm not a complete modelling newbie, I've got a variety of airbrushes that I use for larger areas but not for detail work also like to buy spray cans.

Money is really no object rather spend a few bob and get a perfect job than spoil the ship for ha'pennies worth of tar.

I wait with baited breath.
Life is like a child's shirt, Short and full of S**t,
(in remembrance of an old skipper of mine)

henly1234

• Full Mayhemer
Re: What paint....
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 01:20:07 pm »

Wot? no replies, in any case just been reading that cellulose paint is like hens teeth now that 2k paints are in vogue, anyone care to enlighten me, (Stavros?) so what takes its place in the modeling world, are all acrylics water based (seems not, but would appreciate advice).

Ive read your piece about painting/filling, Stavros, but I presume that choice of paint is very much preference based, as a car man, I take it you would use 2k as you have the facilities and access to mats?, but for home use I think the risks outweigh the  benefits, correct or not?

Again I wait with baited breath (gasps at shortage of oxygen).

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 05:47:49 pm »

Henly Patience is a virtue  not everyone logs on everyday and every hour of the day we all have a life outside of Mayhem...well I do for one.

Ebay springs straight to mind as there are suppliers out there who will supply you with cellulose,there is also Google to search for suppliers of Cellulose paints which are still AVAILABLE

2k obviously has its advantages and the main disadvantages are obvious

Dave

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 06:39:00 pm »

Hi Henly

I use acrylic paint from a commercial paint supplyer to the trade. They can make it up in virtually any quantity, they mix my colours as i need, just supply a sample, eg From a photo etc, they also have all the thinners, wet and dry, primer and primer filler, all at less price than Halfords.

You can even get semi or mat paint all made to order. Rattle cans, or tins ready to spray or standard, thinned by you, then brush painting is to the same colour.

Look on line or in yellow pages for a local supplier

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 06:40:52 pm »

Henly

Had a look at your profile, you havent put your area or town so cant be more specific

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

henly1234

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 02:25:08 pm »

Just been out and bought a shipload of stuff on stavs filling recommendations and decided to go for cellulose, so I'll keep you all informed.

Jerry Hill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 11:59:01 pm »

I use Cellulose for colour coats almost exclusively, but if you plan to pass these through airbrushes be wary of the fact that the solvent evaporates very quickly. If you're planning to generate solid colour then it's not too bad, but use slow gloss thinners which is more oily than standard which give you a chance of keeping a wet edge. Fading with airbrushes is fraught with risk though, it's easy to end up with dry paint hitting the surface as the solvent evaporates before it lays down. Keep the air pressures as low as possible and use the minimum number of passes, otherwise you'll get high build resulting in rough and raised spotting.

BOATSANDBIKES

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 02:07:20 pm »

Hi guys just to let you know my best man at my wedding owns a paint factory and shop so if you need any paint cheap as he only charges me cost and I mean silly cheap let me know but only for guys on this site.I can even get any paint except 2pack put in aerosol cellulose basecoat primers water based plus lacker.I'm not doing it to gain in any way or profit what it costs me it will you plus if you want it posted no problem just trying to help fellow rc models you be surprised how cheap it is but best as he sell it to most paint factors mike  :-))

Jerry Hill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 09:03:40 pm »

Hi guys just to let you know my best man at my wedding owns a paint factory and shop so if you need any paint cheap as he only charges me cost and I mean silly cheap let me know but only for guys on this site.I can even get any paint except 2pack put in aerosol cellulose basecoat primers water based plus lacker.I'm not doing it to gain in any way or profit what it costs me it will you plus if you want it posted no problem just trying to help fellow rc models you be surprised how cheap it is but best as he sell it to most paint factors mike  :-))

Sounds uesful, thanks for the offer. Could you please ask if he does Cellulose blending clear,  it's tricky to get hold of now.

BOATSANDBIKES

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 06:33:17 am »

Do you mean cellouse fade out thinners or cellouse clear coat he also has vapour mask M3 2pack approved you can put a tin of thinners under them and smell nothing safe for spraying 2pack as there vapour masks that filter out the gases £15 and you can use for 70hours spraying time I'm going to see him later so I will check it out then I only use 2pack so cellouse is something I very rarely use as it sinks on filler as its made of chalk and resin

Jerry Hill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 07:41:58 pm »

Its like a lacquer but specifically for blending, or fading out, metallics.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 21 queries.