Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Taking the Mick? Most Definitely  (Read 1398 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Taking the Mick? Most Definitely
« on: July 11, 2015, 03:01:32 pm »

I've just taken the step of registering with a well known German shop/supplier for some parts I wanted. Jumped through all the hoops of the registration process, used the online catalogue to select my parts. Added them to the online basket and gone to the checkout to finalise payment, which is where it all got ridiculous.

My order total came to 21€ which I thought was great.
Postage via the German post office to the UK was 26€ {:-{ To Spain where I actually wanted them sending was 29€ >:-o

I can remember a  time when the goods you wanted cost more than the postage charge, it seems not any more! The order was of course cancelled. There are many more european suppliers for me to choose from.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Taking the Mick? Most Definitely
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 03:27:05 pm »

Yes, often the case now.
Post, packaging and insurance ads up. Especially if they courier express.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 11:10:23 pm »

Welcome to internet shopping.

This occurs for us, (Australia), from other countries even the UK, so saying support UK suppliers is worthless.

Some 'companies' will say there are shipping restrictions due to postage costs. The majority don't and you have to cancel the order at checkout. They don't get that they are losing custom by not offering alternative delivery.
When you ask why it is because "XYZ post" has parcel tracking.

There are still a few which offer alternative cheaper shipping via say 'slow boat'.

That is why Chinese suppliers are beginning to dominate the market.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

chuffy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 07:18:45 am »

Like you say Brian change your supplier, Ive just received a Received a Robbe artr fire boat from Austria and the postage was £11, and from Germany Futaba fc 16, the postage was less than from any UK supplier and the Tx was cheaper. If I couldn't get what I wanted at reasonable prices then I wouldn't buy it anyway, make do with what I've got or do some kind of upgrade.

Paul.

The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the length of your reach.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 08:10:37 am »

Too right Paul. Last week I ordered some floodlights for my build from Germany for 2€ each with only 3€ for postage, in the UK they were £14 with £5 for postage from a model railway shop!

So going to this new supplier I was expecting the same sort of service, not so. The only reason I can see for such a high charge was the stated price was for a minimum 3 kilo package, stupid when in my case the bits would have fitted in a small envelope/jiffy bag. At least I have now seen what I want on a Dutch site- I'll work my way through that later and see how it pans out :-) :-)

This was for etched stanchions by the way, 90pence each in the UK. The German shop above had them at 2.50€ for 35 on a sheet, that's a massive difference.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.