Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Imgur Grrrrr ( photo hosting & storage )  (Read 6001 times)

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Imgur Grrrrr ( photo hosting & storage )
« on: July 17, 2015, 08:01:30 pm »

hi all
I use Imgur for storing my pictures and now they've gone and changed it so I can no longer add to my albums. now I have to find another host. I have 2 years of pictures on there, this is so annoying. Sorry all I'm still working on models but it may be a while before I post pics, Grrrrr

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: imgur Grrrrr
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 08:04:20 pm »

We will wait patiently. I pay Imageshack £2 a month for unlimited photo uploads and storage. I am aware that one needs to keep an eye on how much the fee is raised each year, but currently, it is a small price for what seems to be a stable hosting site.

Good luck with your efforts finding your photos and retrieving them if that is what you need to do:O/
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 08:49:36 pm »

I bought a 1 Terabyte hard drive on e bay cheap as the proverbial, and dump my photos from laptop on it as and when all in titled folders, got thousands of photos on it and barley dented the memory, in old tech, I'd need a tea chest full of photo albums. %%

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 08:56:46 pm »

I too have several independent hard disks which I use to backup photos and data and keep in different locations. Don't really trust online storage over which you have no control.

Colin

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 09:01:54 pm »

I have all my photos (800 600) and full size on my pc but you still have to use a hosting site to post on the net, or am I missing something.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 09:11:38 pm »

I have all my photos (800 600) and full size on my pc but you still have to use a hosting site to post on the net, or am I missing something.

I don't post on the net all that much, usually it is possible to post direct on the forums I belong to. Sometimes you do need to use a hosting site but I regard anything I upload as being 100% expendable!

Colin

Mad Scientist

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 09:48:47 pm »

I don't post on the net all that much, usually it is possible to post direct on the forums I belong to. Sometimes you do need to use a hosting site but I regard anything I upload as being 100% expendable!

Colin

The 'Right' answer, IMHO.

As far as the 'cloud' goes, I suppose we'll see if it's all that is claimed, or a bunch of hype. - Tom

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 09:58:20 pm »

The 'cloud' is just on line storage. It's vulnerable to failure just as your computer is. It's being sold as a way of making your data available wherever. The more you pay the more secure it will be as it will be mirrored across several servers but its still stored on the internet
Don't Assume Check

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 10:11:01 pm »

Your data online is only as secure as the company holding it. It's amazing just how fast apparently solid companies can go down the tubes!

Colin

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 10:36:02 pm »

Before we moved over to Spain I had to sit with a scanner and photo albums going back 45 years. I scanned all the photos to the computer. Once there they were disseminated to both a stand alone hard drive and also to several SD cards. I'm amazed that over 200 photo albums could be reduced to such a small amount :-))

As for the cloud, I just don;t trust it. For instance my wife used that phone and tablet named after a fruit ok2 Tonight she wanted to post a photo to a friends daughter in the UK, it was the Devils own job to actually get the pic! The cloud wants you to share your stuff by giving the recipient a link to follow. In other words they have your stuff, be it photo's music video or whatever and do not want you to get it back easily!

klz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 10:45:04 pm »

I have just uploaded these to imgur with no problems.

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 06:51:56 am »

I use Dropbox.

It basically works as a folder on your computer. It automatically backs up all the files in it online when you put them in the Dropbox folder on your computer.

If you put them in the public folder, you can then right click on the file and select 'Copy public Link' and that is the URL you use to post on forums, the same as you would do with imgur.

It's a very simple thing to use, very reliable, and very popular, especially with businesses. Of course you also have the benefit of logging into the website and uploading/dowloading files to/from your dropbox folder if you're away from your own computer. I even add files to my Dropbox directly from my phone.

To be honest these days it's very difficult to 'lose' data held by the likes of Dropbox as everything is backed up in different physical locations - even if one Dropbox data centre burnt down today, it wouldn't matter so much, as the content is backed up elsewhere. Also with Dropbox you have the added security of the files still being on your computer too. If your hard drive went, you could buy a new computer, install dropbox again and your content would be downloaded to the new computer.

I use Dropbox Pro, which is well worth it for 1TB of storage. However if you're only using Dropbox for hosting images on Mayhem etc then you can get away with using the free version - You still get a few gigabytes to play with.

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 07:30:37 am »

That's interesting I have a dropbox account which I got with a phone contract, never used it though, perhaps I will look into it, as for Imgur thinking about it, it might not be a Imgur problem as it was working till chrome said it needed updating it was after that the problems started. Trouble is I'm a computer numpty what I know about the Internet you could fit on a pin head.

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 09:01:02 am »

I'll concur with what's been said. I regularly back up all my photos, scans, images and whatever to a separate free standing hard drive. I had a 250GB one and that's just been replaced by a 2TB one. We also have a couple of servers in the house and when we set up the high speed ethernet link to reach downstairs I'll back them up there too. It's our own local 'cloud'. As for the online cloud, I don't trust it.

Many sites do allow you to upload photos with posts, and for those that don't I use Photobucket.

Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2015, 09:25:15 am »

As I already said I store all my photos on harddrives, I've posted photos on various forums, sales sites and my wife post photos on Facebook etc. we do this strait from the harddrive/laptop, forgive my ignorance by I've never found the need to pay for a hosting site, am I missing something here. %%

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2015, 09:28:07 am »

Just a note on disk storage, including external hard disks.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/hard-drives-ssds-flash-drives-how-long-will-your-storage-media-last/

The magnetism can diminish over time, putting the data at risk, but this can be restored by powering on and reading or writing the data. You should do this every few years if you’re using a hard drive for long-term storage.

...around 5 percent [of drives] failed during the first year and a half, most likely due to manufacturing defects. They were then largely stable until the fourth year, when the failure rate rose to 11.8 percent. 74 percent of drives lasted beyond the fourth year.
It is still worth having a backup of these archives on a second hard drive.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2015, 09:31:35 am »

The advantage of a hosting site is that you can upload a collection of photos to the hosting site once. Then every time you wish to share your photos with others by email, facebook, or on a forum, you only need to cut and paste the link to your collection (or individual photos) for others to see them, you don't need to upload pictures every time. This is especially useful if you want to share several photos, as upload times in some parts of the world are very slow. It is also useful if you want to share photos with people who don't facebook, or people you don't necessarily want to have access to your facebook account; if you have hight privacy settings.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Imgur Grrrrr ( photo hosting & storage )
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2015, 09:40:08 pm »

I too store photos etc. on multiple external Hard Drives.
I never trust a hard drive over 3 years old - I always buy replacements.

For online image hosting, currently I use:

Google+       - currently the internet Big Boys and simplest to upload (via Pisasa)!
CubeUpload  - easy, fast, simple... after a steep learning curve.
Flickr            - they've become very cumbersome in resent years.
Photobucket  - like Flikr, they've 'forgot the simple' for PC users.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Imgur Grrrrr ( photo hosting & storage )
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2015, 09:51:36 pm »

I have three of these Touro drives, neat and work directly off USB so no power brick needed.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006DZKEAW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.