Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery life  (Read 3309 times)

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
Battery life
« on: July 20, 2015, 02:49:59 pm »

:-)) A Ni-MH battery that I have had for 10 years + has finally given up the ghost,charged it last night and this morning the voltage was low,all the batteries that I bought at the same time have long since gone,just wondering has anyone got a battery older than this or is a bit of a record,Ray. :-)) 
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Time Bandit

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Battery life
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 04:37:04 pm »

I still have first generation eneloops running in one of my transmitters.
They still have 1800mAh left  :}
Not exactly sure when I bought them, but I think it must have been 2006.
regards

Tobias

morley bill 1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 10:09:10 pm »

Still using a 12Volt Yuasa that I bought 20 years ago ...Bill.......

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 11:37:23 am »

Still using a 9.6V NiCd racing pack I made from Sub-C cells from 15 years ago.

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 01:13:34 pm »

Not for a model but I have a cordless Philips shaver that I bought in 1999 I have to charge it on a stand and the outer plastic on the wire for the stand has split away with age but the shaver just keeps going. Once it stops I'm going to have a look what type battery it is....... I remember that I was so disappointed with the cutting discs not lasting very long that I wrote to them and they sent me some new ones. I often wondered if it was a lipo battery but it can't be from 1999 can it?
It'll look better when it's finished!

slowcoach

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 01:18:37 pm »

Hi all
I have found if nicads are not used for a long time they seem to deteriorate but if used fairly regularly seem to last, also remember this type of cell does suffer from memory effect so good to cycle than on a regular basis. :-))

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 09:55:59 pm »

Not for a model but I have a cordless Philips shaver that I bought in 1999 I have to charge it on a stand and the outer plastic on the wire for the stand has split away with age but the shaver just keeps going. Once it stops I'm going to have a look what type battery it is....... I remember that I was so disappointed with the cutting discs not lasting very long that I wrote to them and they sent me some new ones. I often wondered if it was a lipo battery but it can't be from 1999 can it?
Not a Phillips and nothing like that old, but mine has a great big single NiMH cell.  I don't think you can get simpler and cruder without Chubby Brown getting involved.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 01:38:51 pm »

We had a chance in the 70s to buy some VR10 Ni- Cads (10amphr). I am still using them to this day. Treat them right when charging and they will last. nemesis

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 02:22:42 pm »

I have some SLA's and NiMh's that I have been using regularly for about four years. They still last as long at the lake, and seem to charge as well as when I got them so don't appear to have memory 'tiredness' at all. 
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 07:44:44 pm »

Firstly, Malcolm, very funny made me laugh.....

A week or so ago I found out what happens when Lipos get drained..... The wrapping blows up like a balloon and one of the 3 cells died. I left my transmitter on and didn't hear the alarm...... New battery needed, 10 pound 25 mistake >>:-(  all my own fault.....

I also know that I have another (lipo) which had been left charged for 18 months and hadn't changed I was very surprised :-))  U2
It'll look better when it's finished!

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 12:20:08 am »

Hi I have some 4 cell AA packs that I obtained in 1986 or there abouts, I do not use them very often but they still work.  They are covered in a yellow heat shrink so do not know manufacturer.  Their original use was in shop tills as memory backup I think they are 480 mAhs.  Very well known shop and tills from Japan.
regards Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 23 queries.