Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinese Petrol Engine  (Read 4562 times)

Jerry Hill

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Chinese Petrol Engine
« on: July 26, 2015, 10:55:45 pm »

Has anyone had any experience with this engine: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231079461264?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I realise it's not a state of the art lump tuned by Michael Shumacher's Butler and rolled on the thighs of dusky maidens  %) . All I want to know is do they work reliably and if so for how long?

Sorry if I sound cynical but on other forums you ask a sensible question like this and the hyper speed boys poo poo it without actually having any experience of them on speculation alone. Any constructive help appreciated  :-)

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Chinese Petrol Engine
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 11:48:15 am »

No experience with that engine however the chinese copies tend to be softer aluminium and the plating sub par.
The rear exhaust configuration can also cause problems, the piston beating itself up on the exhaust port due to the internal loads.
Chung yang can be ok in side exhaust version being slightly more powerful than the standard Zenoah.
18k rpm I doubt very much, that is up with highly tuned engines whilst the power of just over 2bhp sounds about right.
My choice for your situation would be a standard Zenoah (a well proven workhorse) with readily available spare parts from local dealers and the ability to tune it later if desired. Model Marine have the 260pum advertised at £195.

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 06:09:31 pm »

Short answer - They're not very good, seen many a cheap Zenoah copy / SIKK go bang

Gizmo currently have the proper motors from which they were copied for just $150 plus your choice of carb.

http://www.gizmomotors.com/index.php/online-store/zenoah/zenoah-marine-engines/zenoah-g260pum-watercooled-marine-engine-detail

Jerry Hill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 07:00:44 pm »

I call my RCMK my 'cheese' engine, it's horrible material too and has some of the most loony design features I've ever seen, but then so do Zenoah's. However, I've been kicking it a bit for 7 months with no problems to date, I was told the best thing to do is leave it alone which is pretty much what I've done. I put ZX1 in everything which I know helps, but that's another story. It's the engine I'll turn too if I can't find a lower cost alternative, but whatever it must be rear exhaust, so Zenoah's are out. However, RCMK K30R's are not available here at the moment, with talk of two months before they are. If this doesn't pan out I may reconsider and go for a large Nitro engine instead and try to build a lighter boat. I am prepared to take the risk and give the Chinese purple offering a go, but if I can find someone who has one it will help of course.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 06:31:04 am »

I can only go with what a friend told me about this engine,his lasted about 2 hrs before it broke apart due to as Ian mentioned the piston hitting the exhaust port and it basically destroyed itself. Might be some mods you can do to reduce that risk a little.
As for RCMK they are your only option really but as is usual with mr Park hes always running low on stock.
If you go with nitro the weight of the boat shouldnt be an issue as a cmb .90 will work just fine as a replacement for a gas motor and then some but theyre not cheap.
As regards rcmk i love them and the power out of the box is a lot more than you get from a standard 30 cc zenoah 3-7 hp v 7.2 hp  for similar money so thats always a plus.Admitedly the 7.2 hp might be a bit exagerated but they have bags of power for relatively low cost when compaired with the modded zenoah equivelant.
Mart

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 10:49:06 am »

I have checked out this and other motors by the same manufacturer on Taobao (the Chinese equivalent of ebay). Out of the whole range this manf. produces there has only been one sale in recent months and so there are no reviews to look at. Sorry.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 05:59:59 pm »

If you're really worried about cost by looking at a cheap and nasty petrol lump then why on earth are you considering putting a 'large nitro engine' in? They're far more fragile, far more expensive to buy and use much more expensive fuel, and an awful lot of it too.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 06:18:45 pm »

If you're really worried about cost by looking at a cheap and nasty petrol lump then why on earth are you considering putting a 'large nitro engine' in? They're far more fragile, far more expensive to buy and use much more expensive fuel, and an awful lot of it too.
Have to agree there  :-)) .
Mart

Jerry Hill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 07:20:27 pm »

A fair point from the perspective of some. I am not worried about cost I can assure you. The only way to determine that such an engine is cheap and nasty is to ask. I have had maybe thirty or more nitro engines and have only had a few problems, some of my engines are over thirty years old and operate as new, all are sports engines, all left stock, I have no interest in ringing the neck of them by modifying them, believing that if you need more power you need a bigger engine. I don't race, singly because when i have my fun was trashed by some goon that didn't know how to control a model, so have no interest in maxing out power under the confines of a capacity race rule. In my view as an engineer almost all glow engines knock converted industrial  petrols into a cocked hat when it comes to manufacturing quality, materials, tolerances and longevity. Frankly I dont understand when folk report problems with glow motors, other than high end and seemingly temperamental competition engines where it's expected to replace parts in normal use.

But, in this instance the boat is for a 13 year old new to RC, and whilst money is not a problem it would be foolhardy to invest in best of everything whilst he's still finding his feet with the hobby, and for it to end up on a shelf should he decide his interests are elsewhere, better to provide exposure to the various models one can have and should he want to pursue better performance an engine can be upgraded. But, the 'best' does not mean the most powerful, the fastest, or the prettiest, it can also mean the most reliable, the most rewarding and the one that lasts the longest. The achievement in a hobby is the fun you get out of it, so to avoid the frustrations of failure I'm more than happy to stick with the established and firmly proven ground for me of using glow engines. Fragile? Nah, no way, damaged yes, abused yes, instrinsicly fragile I don't agree with.

Fuel costs? Certainly more with nitros of course, but were talking pence per run difference here. Some costs are more direct and visible than others. Whining about model engine fuel costs after a twenty mile round trip to the lake is not a place I'm going to.

So back to square one, if there is no faith in this engine then I have my answer. Thanks.

Brigadair

• Full Mayhemer
  • Race to enjoy; winning is a bonus!
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 09:22:26 pm »

Hi

Interesting thread which I read with interest.

For me I think zenoahs give great fun, great throttling, fantastic reliability good value and if you want performance can be race tuned to give double the stock engine performance whilst maintaining the reliability.

Cheers

Garry
Best regards
Garry Dickson (BMPRS Committee member and Webmaster)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.