Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems problems problems  (Read 2806 times)

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
Problems problems problems
« on: August 04, 2015, 11:29:05 am »

I'm off on my hols tonight for a week so a nice day relaxing......... I wish.       I thought that I would take my boat for a sail at high tide this morning. I arrived at 8am switched on my transmitter then my boat....... Nothing  >>:-(  I noticed the receiver had a red light indicating a loss of signal. I switched off and back on again and it connected but I wasn't so happy. I tried all the controls but noticed a servo moving slowly by itself. Then the motor didn't spin. I brought it back home and checked with a different receiver but unfortunately it was just the same erratic behaviour. Looks like my radio needs a service...... So I'm off on my hols thinking about that >>:-( .  U2
It'll look better when it's finished!

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Problems problems problems
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 01:23:46 pm »

Mmm I tried the same receiver in one of my planes...... No problem. Same transmitter so it can't be that, phew! I unplugged and plugged all the servos one at a time and the problem comes back but not with any imparticular servo {:-{  I can only assume it's the ESC with some sort of intermittent short. I really am baffled.
It seems to work fine by itself but as soon as something else (no matter what) is plugged in it develops the problem.

Why can't things just work or break? Intermittent electric problems  >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( spoils my fun... U2

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 01:40:08 pm »

Flat batt me thinks

Dave

inertia

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 01:46:46 pm »

Does the speed controller have BEC by any chance? If so, try the radio set with a separate battery pack for the receiver and the BEC disabled. If that doesn't reveal the problem then I'm inclined to agree with Mr Jones. Recharging all batteries cures at least 25% of all problems - even the intermittent ones.
DM

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 02:24:36 pm »

Stavros, same lipo battery used to power my plane for the check, more than 11.1v (11.4)..... Twin brushless motors same receiver. No prob with the plane.......

Once the problem starts it seems to either pulse the servos or nothing whatsoever or spin the motor. If it spins the motor the only way to stop it via the radio is to fully open the throttle and then shut the throttle (neutral)

That's why I think it's the ESC

Inertia, I wrote all the above and didn't get chance to post before before you replied..... So, a BEC, mmm, I am pretty sure it means a 'Battery Eliminator Circuit?' Unfortunately I don't know if it has one or not or what it does. I do know that the lipo plugs in to it and that there is a small on off switch. The lipo is well charged (checked with a LCD voltage display unit contraption that just plugs into it and displays voltage of each individual cell)

There is a second ESC with the red wire cut but the problem still occurs with that unplugged from the receiver. All was fine until this morning and then it just happened, it all started to be a little erratic.

It was a relatively cheap ESC and arrived with no instructions. I found the closest looking ESC manual on the Internet and set it up (I think) according to that no problems for the last few weeks until this morning.

Because my lipo plugs directly into the ESC and the ESC into the receiver, how do I use a separate battery to power the receiver? Can I just unplug the lipo from the ESC and just connect the White red and black lead? And a different battery into the receiver?

Any suggestions for a decent air cooled ESC.  All help great fully received.  U2

inertia

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 04:18:47 pm »

U2
Sorry, mate, but this subject has been covered sooooooooooo often that I don't have either the time or the inclination to repeat the same stuff yet again. No offence intended whatsoever. In my experience all brushless motor speed controllers have Battery Eliminator Circuitry.
Try here for the gen - http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=search2 and type BEC into the search box. I got 21 hits. If you really want to suffer get more information then there's always the article here http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/art.php (first one on the list).
At the same time it sounds as if your "economy" speed controller has gone terminal. Have a look down the 'Brushless Motors' threads and see what the others use. http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,148.0.html
A programming card seems to be a very useful accessory so I'd suggest you stick to a brand of ESC which also has one of these in the range. I use Fusion Hawk and Leopard(HobbyWing) brushless ESCs.

DM

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 04:32:02 pm »

Thank you inertia, I'll get on to that straight away..... U2
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.